My variety pack has arrived, lots of Audio Technicas
Aug 26, 2012 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

RenderEs

New Head-Fier
Many years ago, when I was still a child, I browsed this forum and decided to get the KSC-75 as something that had a lot of bang for the buck. Three years ago, for bass and isolation I upgraded to an ATH-A700, which I had listened to my cousin's before and really liked. However, after two years, the pads started deteriorating, and left flakes all over the place.

I decided that instead of ordering new pads which would again fall apart in two years time, it was probably time to get something better.

Having randomly made it into my collection are the ATH-TAD500, and ATH-AD700. My dad owns an AKG 702, and a Beyerdynamic DT990 that's older than me.

I have recently purchased the ATH-T400, ATH-M50S, ATH-A900x, Denon AH-D2000, and AKG K550. I am not against trying out even more headphones before I settle on a decision, so I am open to suggestions for headphones if anyone thinks they know what I'm looking for.

My goal is to add a closed headphone to my collection to replace the A700. The trouble with looking for headphones that I might like is that I don't even know what my preferences are. All I really know is that I do not like piercing treble. While the D2000 is actually a semi open design, it seems to isolate enough for me. Doesn't seem to leak music much either, or I just listen at low volumes, not sure. Information I've found on head-fi indicate that these should in fact leak a lot and have very little isolation. Has the D2000 design been changed over the years?

If anyone wants to know anything about these headphones that they need someone with physical access to, feel free to ask. I'm much better suited at describing the headphones physically than I am at describing their sound, my ears are rather crummy. I am willing to do partial disassembly of my headphones to a limited extent, I must keep my headphones completely undamaged. I have already taken apart the A900x and taken pictures.

I have a question about Audio Technicas. What is the purpose of what looks like white filter paper surrounding the gaps around the driver? I have an image album with pictures of what I'm referring to, as well as the A900x partial disassembly. The A900x has black plastic, but my camera likes to give it bronze or olive shades.

http://imgur.com/a/oskro

I only just received the headphones yesterday, so I've only spent a few hours with them. Oh, and my source is an Auzentech HTHD, and I'm not really into the idea of using any amps, so that should limit my choices some.

Also, while I've been reading head-fi for quite some time, I'm new to posting, so advice is welcome. I do not know exactly where I should post my impressions of these headphones, or the manner in which I should approach doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back