My Vacation
Nov 26, 2006 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
After reading this thread on the Mexican Riviera I thought I would post about my week off as it was at the other end of the scale in terms of luxury.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210412

I spent the last 8 days in the woods of Northern Wisconsin deer hunting with my SIL and a group of friends. There were 6 of us in one shack where we all ate, drank, talked and played cards and between 3 and 4 in a rebuilt log cabin next to it. We did have lights for most of the time until the storage battery gave out as the solar panels could not keep it charged. It was a great time, the air was clear and crisp and the scenery breathtaking and quite varied depending where you were hunting. Before you ask; no I did not get anything but I was not alone as 4 others were also skunked. My SIL got 2 though. The last one he shot at about 15 yards as it was running towards him. The other guys did pretty well and I think by weeks end we had 12 deer hanging. It was a tough year with no snow and relatively warm temperatures. The deer were harder for my old eyes to see and they did not move much as they tried to stay cool throughout the day. We ate like kings; the last night we had venison tenderloins in a wine laced gravy, fried potatoes, carrots and green beans and bread. We drank some each night but not too heavily as 4 AM came all too quickly for everyone except the one guy that has a dairy farm and we let him sleep in to 4:45. Forty five minutes past his normal 4 AM daily start. Most of us will be returning to work this week but there will be 3 lucky guys including the owner of the cabin that will stay over for the muzzle loader season.

Next year cannot come soon enough.

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLMaestro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have photos of your trip?

I should be getting some soon. I did not bring a camera as most trips are dirty and sometimes wet and a camera is easily broken. We also do a lot of walking so the weight is kept to a minimum.

The deer are taken to a butcher and we eat it throughout the year. Much of it goes into Summer sausage and sticks there are also steaks and some ground meat.

Wisconsin also has a program for feeding the hungry. If you donate your dear it is inspected then processed and distributed to the needy to help them feed their families.

A little known fact is that it is estimated that there are far more deer in the US now than when the Pilgrims arrived. They have reintroduced timber wolves one of the few natural predators but herd control is still necessary to manage the herd size and prevent starvation.

Nov 27, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The deer are taken to a butcher and we eat it throughout the year. Much of it goes into Summer sausage and sticks there are also steaks and some ground meat.

I was wondering about that, but I guess you probably knew that. Thanks for the info. And enjoy the BBQ next summer as much as you did the trip!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Wisconsin also has a program for feeding the hungry. If you donate your dear it is inspected then processed and distributed to the needy to help them feed their families.

Ouch, and they are just about to start a succesful law career.
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 10
Ah, deer camp!!
biggrin.gif

I have similar memories from my childhood in northern Michigan. I'm not much of a hunter, but the camaraderie is well remembered. As is the feast the night before packing out.

Sounds like a nice time John....

Nov 28, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds awesome but wayyyy too cold. We all must know though, did you have your portable rig?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope I did not bring it. Between tromping around the woods, eating talking and sleeping there was little time for listening. We were up at 4 AM and normally asleep by 9PM or earlier. We were in the woods from before sunrise and returned to camp after sunset. For this time of year it was way to warm. No snow and the daytime temperatures were almost balmy some days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back