My V6's sound unbalanced
Jan 12, 2002 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mcrmouse30

Head-Fier
I got my Sony V6's about a week ago. I love them and they are great but they sound unbalanced. By unbalanced I mean the left ear of the headphone sounds brighter and has more bass than the right. Also the left side sounds a little louder. The right is flat and doesn't have as much bass. It isn't too noticeable I guess but it annoys the heck out of me. Will those go away as I break them in? Has anyone else had this problem?

Jan 12, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 17
I have tried 3 different sources, my pcdp, my computer, and my older reciever. All seem to favor the left side. I am just about to test out the Koss 35's to see if I get the same problem.

Jan 12, 2002 at 9:06 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander
I can't believe nobody has suggested that his headphones may be defective...

well we have...just not explicitly - it's more a case of eliminating all other possibilities first
wink.gif

i actually had a hunch that mcrmouse has stirred up some of those mbriant 'anaerobic bacteria', but in one ear only and THAT is causing the anomaly, but then i thought that might be a bit too leftfield
rolleyes.gif

Jan 12, 2002 at 10:09 AM Post #8 of 17
To be serious, if these headphones have exhibited this problem since you first plugged them in, then you probably have a manufacturing defect. My guess is that something for the right channel was not well soldered and is making less contact than the left: it might be the connection inside the plug, or it could be the connection of the driver in the earpiece to the cord.

On the esoteric side, there is the chance that the right magnet is weaker than the left magnet, causing an unbalanced and weaker sound.

In either case, the easiest fix is to send 'em back.

cajunchrist

Jan 12, 2002 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 17
have u tried reversing the channels?

i.e. flip the headphones around
smily_headphones1.gif

L R -> R L

Jan 12, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 17
Well, thats why i own the "overpriced" 7506's..HA no problems!
rolleyes.gif

George

Jan 12, 2002 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 17
This goes back to Russ Arcuri talking about gristle around your ear...

My personal experience with both my Grados, and my Senns is that they sound louder in my left ear than my right... BUT, things sound perfectly level with the likes of the EX70s and E888s

Soloution? - Quite simply (and bizarrely) i just have the left earpad where it should be, and the right one about .5cm higher, so that the sound goes more directly into my ear.

Very obscure, and probably not on the right track at all, but... its worth me adding it just in case
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 17
Well I have tried 3 other headphones and I don't have the problem so I don't think it is my ears. I tried flipping the headphones and when I do then the right side sounds louder than the other. When I flip them back to normal, it is as if the left side drounds out the right side. If I were to send them back do I send them back to the store(I bought them online at www.etronics.com) or do I call Sony up? Thanks for your help guys.

Jan 12, 2002 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 17
Probably you should call etronics and find out what they want you to do. It's likely that you will send them back to etronics, but I would call first to make sure. If you can, get them to pay shipping both ways and send you an advanced replacement so you can compare the two before you send this set back, but they should at the very least pay shipping of your new cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back