My UM2's internal driversgot totally corroded. Due to jogging(sweat) with them?
Feb 10, 2009 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nicholaslee

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Westone told me the cost of repairing my UM2 was as good as buying a new piece as the internals all got corroded!
confused_face(1).gif

I use my UM2 often in my gym and 10km jogs weekly. If it have been the cause of sweat going into the drivers, I shall not replace them with a Westone3 anymore.

Any suggestions for nice earphone/headphone to go jogging with?

edit: just to add, I take care of them really well. I do not coil the wires around my mp3 player nor strain them by pulling the wires even during exercising.

Thanks a million!
atsmile.gif
L3000.gif
floatsmile.png

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 9
I have been worried about this, sweat contains alot of salts so its very propable to distroy earphones, i wouldnt use an expencive earphones for joggin, but maybe if the manyfacturer claims that they are suitable for this kind of thing, then they should also last in such use, and if not, replace them if they dont.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholaslee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Westone told me the cost of repairing my UM2 was as good as buying a new piece as the internals all got corroded!
confused_face(1).gif

I use my UM2 often in my gym and 10km jogs weekly. If it have been the cause of sweat going into the drivers, I shall not replace them with a Westone3 anymore.

Any suggestions for nice earphone/headphone to go jogging with?

edit: just to add, I take care of them really well. I do not coil the wires around my mp3 player nor strain them by pulling the wires even during exercising.

Thanks a million!
atsmile.gif
L3000.gif
floatsmile.png

I guess I just don't undertand how sweat could get into the drivers. I mean you either have a seal or you don't? If you have a seal, sweat can't get in. If you don't have a seal, it would sound like crap.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I just don't undertand how sweat could get into the drivers. I mean you either have a seal or you don't? If you have a seal, sweat can't get in. If you don't have a seal, it would sound like crap.

That's true. I got a good seal especially am using them with my custom molds.

Sigh.. but that's the reason I can think of regarding my earphone's internals getting corroded.
triportsad.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 9
I've heard people say ear canals don't have sweat glands, but let me tell you, with my custom IEMs, I get plenty of sweat/earwax in my ear canals while wearing them, even when I'm not in the gym. I use my customs for lifting, but use cheap ipod earbuds for running. I'll start using the earbuds for lifting as well now that I've come across this post.

Sorry to hear about your lost man, maybe find a pair of cheap shure e2 for working out? And get a pair of W3 for normal usage?

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholaslee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's true. I got a good seal especially am using them with my custom molds.

Perhaps there is something to this when using custom molds? I have always used complys/foamie/olives and they are obviously VERY porous and will absorb everything that gets near them. I suppose this is ideal for use when sweating/working out. I have not ever used customs but I suspect the material does not absorb any moisture so rather than it getting absorbed into the tip it kind of hangs around and is suceptible to getting into places it shouldn't. Does this make sense?

I do long 45 min stairclimber/treadmill sessions several times per week and have never had a problem.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 9
you know those little silica gel packets that come in shoeboxes.. store your iems in a small case with one or two of those.. it'll soak up the excess moisture. tada.. no corroded iems

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quad57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been worried about this, sweat contains alot of salts so its very propable to distroy earphones, i wouldnt use an expencive earphones for joggin, but maybe if the manyfacturer claims that they are suitable for this kind of thing, then they should also last in such use, and if not, replace them if they dont.

If you go to the Westone site, you'll see they carry holding containers for their on-stage monitors that contain a desiccant (moisture absorbing agent) just for this purpose - it seems that musicians who wear these for long periods of time have similar issues. Anyone who uses IEMs for more than a few hours a day or use them in vigorous activities should store their buds/IEMs accordingly to keep them free of oxidizing moisture. Under normal use (2-3 hrs a day during normal/quiet activity) it's usually not required. It's just part of care & feeding for IEMs - any IEMs I'm not currently using are kept in a container with one or two silica gel bags for moisture absorption. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back