My UM2s got EATEN... A good alternative?
Oct 22, 2009 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Seufari

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everybody...

My beloved UM2s are dead and gone and I am in the market for some inexpensive IEMs to replace them.

Like to get this done as cheaply as possible. I have my eye on the S4, RE0 and NE-6.

From what I have read, the S4 has a warmer signature similar to my old UM2s which I LOVED.

The NE-6 seems like it might be a bit too heavy on the low end???

The RE0 might be a little to detailed and bright for my tastes. I see them compared to the Er4 series from Ety.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Just one correcton: The RE0 aren't bright. They're almost completely neutral, at least to my ears. That said, you might still not like them if you prefer a warm sound with less detail.

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 10
From what i've read the RE-0s could be a good bet.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seufari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everybody...

My beloved UM2s are dead and gone and I am in the market for some inexpensive IEMs to replace them.

Like to get this done as cheaply as possible. I have my eye on the S4, RE0 and NE-6.

From what I have read, the S4 has a warmer signature similar to my old UM2s which I LOVED.

The NE-6 seems like it might be a bit too heavy on the low end???

The RE0 might be a little to detailed and bright for my tastes. I see them compared to the Er4 series from Ety.

I didn't really ever feel like the ne-6/7's were low end heavy.....maybe slightly more emphasized but nothing hindering. IMO, the S4's are more low end heavy that the nuforce's.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Tip-81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't really ever feel like the ne-6/7's were low end heavy.....maybe slightly more emphasized but nothing hindering. IMO, the S4's are more low end heavy that the nuforce's.

Thanks for the insight...

They are in the lead right now simply because of the price...

I almost feel like if I am going to spend $100 on the RE0, I might as well save up for Fidelity Duals...

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 10
To my ears, the RE0s are bright as hell, the brightest phones I've ever heard by a good, long margin. Very, very forward treble tones, almost as if they need you to notice how accurate the rendering is, like "Look at us! Aren't these cymbals sounding clean?!?"

This isn't necessarily a knock. In acoustic performances-live jazz, for example--no other phone I've heard comes close, or even reasonably far. On an electronic dance track, they're less satisfying. Reggae and hip-hop are...interesting.

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 10
I get my replaced RE0 back today. It has been a while since I last listened to them, so I will definitely update you on how good they sound sometime later tonight. For reference I have been using Yuin PK3 for the last week and for a $40 earbud it sounds very nice, though from what I remember not nearly as good as the RE0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back