My UM2 Breakthrough!
Mar 10, 2006 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ckhirnigs113

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Everyone,

I have been daily visiting this forum for quite a while now. The major effect of this has been my purchase of the Westone UM2's. I have been impressed with them from the beginning, but I have always tried to find out (mostly from reading threads here) how to get the most out of these IEMs.

Exploring the huge array of different tips has been my first undertaking. I had no idea this could make such a big difference, but now, having switched to modified bi-flanges, I can't really go back to the supplied Comply tips.

Anyway, until tonight, this has been the most noticeable improvement I've had using my UM2's with a 4G iPod Color. I have also read up on amps to see if this would be a worthwhile investment, but I convinced myself that it was too big of an expense to go for right now.

I have a Pocketdock to connect my iPod to my home system and cd player in the car. I always knew the lineout was a better idea when connecting to an external amp. I also have a in-line attenuator (volume control) from Radio Shack that I got to get rid of the hiss & hdd noise associated with the iPod's headphone out.

The breakthrough came when I put these last two things together. I have my Pocketdock connected and the in-line attenuator connected to it. The UM2's are plugged right into the adaptor with no amplification!

Not only is there enough volume, but the sound is so much cleaner! If I go back to the hp out, it sounds really muffled now. With this new setup, there is better separation and even the EQ shows improvement. Before I couldn't tell the difference between the "Jazz" and "Treble Booster" EQs through the hp out. Now there is a definite change between the two.

Right now my iPod is set to "Treble Boost" and it sounds great!! I'm glad I discovered this before splurging on an amp. I hope this information helps others out there that struggle to reach the full potential of there UM2s. -CK

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 2
I find this to be a pretty worthwhile, though somewhat simple, discovery! It may seem obvious, but I doubt many people think about using the line-out without an amp. -CK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back