My ultrasone hfi-580s broke so now it's time for an upgrade.
Sep 15, 2013 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ieatDIAMONDS

New Head-Fier
First of all my sister dropped my 580s in the toilet. Don't ask how, but let's just get that out of the way. haha

Anyways, I've been wanting new cans for a while. As you've probably already assumed from my previous headphone selection, I enjoy bass. And yes, i know there are so many "basshead" threads. But I do listen to a lot of EDM.

Let's just get straight to the point:
- My budget is $200.
- Used with a asus xonar DG (which includes an amplifier. Not sure how strong, though) and I actually might be upgrading this later in the feature.
- Will be used at home so size is not a concern.
- Comfort is a must.

I've been lurking around and for the $200 price point, everyone seems to be recommending:
- Beyerdynamic Custom Pro
- Beyerdynamic DT770
- Beyerdynamic DT990
- Audiotechnica PRO700 MK2
- Denon D2000 (discontinued now, though so doesn't really count)

Honestly, the DT770/DT990 look insanely comfortable, and that really appeals to me. Obviously sound is more important, but you know. Asthetically the Custom Pros look the best. That bass switch seems a bit gimmicky, but I dunno. Can't really comment on the sound of any of these cans since I don't have any experiance with any of them. The PRO700 Mk2 look quite nice as well, but I read that they're stupidly uncomfortable.

Also, they're so many different ohms choices for the beyerdynamic cans, and it's confusing as hell.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 6
Heya,

I think the AT PRO700MKII would be a good avenue to continue to at this point. The DT770 is very comfortable, but I think if you want more obvious bass presence, the PRO700MKII will do that for you. You can get velour pads for it too to make it just as comfortable (Shure SRH940 velour pads are only $20 and fit).

Very best,

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 6
What's wrong with the HFI-580 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back