My UE Super.fi 5 Pro break all too easily.
Feb 6, 2010 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

elliotm

New Head-Fier
I've purchased the Ultimate Ears super.fi Pro IEMs twice, now. Each time I had to RMA them and get a warranty replacement. The first purchase had a 2 year warranty, I believe. Now they carry a 1 year warranty.

I love their sound, when they work, but what gives on the short life span? It doesn't make sense to pay around $200 for one year of service.

My 4th set (2nd purchase, RMA'd) just went out. Right earpiece, like the ones before them. Always seems to be something with the right earpiece. In this case, the high freq aren't heard unless I put pressure on the earpiece housing itself.

Logitech made me a discount purchasing offer, but why bother if it will only last a year or less? After about $400 in purchases, I'm not impressed with their craftsmanship, thus far.

Worse yet, I just purchased a Weston cable to replace the original one that formed a loose connection.

Any similar experiences? Should I take my $$ to some other IEM manufacturer?

EDIT: MY Sony MDR
Default My UE Super.fi 5 Pro break all too easily.
I've purchased the Ultimate Ears super.fi Pro IEMs twice, now. Each time I had to RMA them and get a warranty replacement. The first purchase had a 2 year warranty, I believe. Now they carry a 1 year warranty.

I love their sound, when they work, but what gives on the short life span? It doesn't make sense to pay around $200 for one year of service.

My 4th set (2nd purchase, RMA'd) just went out. Right earpiece, like the ones before them. Always seems to be something with the right earpiece. In this case, the high freq aren't heard unless I put pressure on the earpiece housing itself.

Logitech made me a discount purchasing offer, but why bother if it will only last a year or less? After about $400 in purchases, I'm not impressed with their craftsmanship, thus far.

Worse yet, I just purchased a Weston cable to replace the original one that formed a loose connection.

Any similar experiences? Should I take my $$ to some other IEM manufacturer?

EDIT: My Sony MDR-E888 earbuds I purchased over 6 years ago for $70 still work, for goodness sakes!

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 7
Just noticed there are many reviews on Amazon by customers with similar experiences. :/

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 7
had the same problem...bought them twice and right earpiece came apart?? (logitech) gave me the runfaround...gave up on Ultimate Ears...bought Head-Directs RE-0, haven't looked back ever since

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 7
I bought a SF5 Pro a couple years ago and had it replaced twice. Both times it was totally my fault though. The first time, I stepped on them. The housing cracked. The second time, I pulled it out of my bag hard when it was snagged on something unknowingly. The housing separated where the cable was plugged in. I don't think it was really a poor design or something, it was from my abuse.

Maybe they're different now or something.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 7
Check out the Westone 2. If you register them online, you get a two year warranty. They are very impressive dual driver iems. I'm keeping my W2's.

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the tips. Money shortage means I'll probably go with the Head-Direct, for now since it's only $79.

Definitely interested in the Westone 2. Warranty aside, I want something with actual build quality. I was pretty impressed with the Westone cable I got for the UEs. Too bad the UEs broke the next day. >:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back