My tube rolling experience with Rudistor RP5.1cav
Sep 21, 2005 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gundam91

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been tube rolling through my RP5.1cav on and off for the past few months. Started off with some Mullard 6DJ8s, 6922s (great midrange, but bloated bass), then Siemens 6DJ8s, 6922s (overly emphasized midrange), CCa (great mids, but glare on high frequencies) and various generations of Amperex 6DJ8s (orange label globe A-frame, ring-getter, white label Bugle Boys and non-Bulge Boys, small ring-getter, large ring-getter, D-shape getter), Amperex 6922s (orange PQ, white PQ, non PQ).

So far, to my ears, the Amperex tubes present the most balanced sound, and white label 6DJ8s and 6922 PQs are on top of my list to spend more time comparing. I still have some Amperex 7308s to go over, so stay tune.

As usual, your result may be different depending on your system, listening habit, and type of music, etc, etc. But I just thought I post my findings for those few people here that have this great amp.

Sep 21, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 4
I have not rolled my Rudi RP5.1 but this is what Nik suggested...

Thinking to the HD650, I find the RP5 more detailed and precise sound rispect to the RP33, but this also depend by the tubes you will adopt in the amp, try some NOS Telefunken E188CC and you will see the different...

Best!
Nicola

Nik is the Rudi guru so although to the point, his opinion is likely spot on. I'm holding off rolling mine until I compare it with a HeadAmp Reference I have on route. Should be a good weekend unless CanadaPost ruins it for me
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
I have not rolled my Rudi RP5.1 but this is what Nik suggested...

Thinking to the HD650, I find the RP5 more detailed and precise sound rispect to the RP33, but this also depend by the tubes you will adopt in the amp, try some NOS Telefunken E188CC and you will see the different...

Best!
Nicola

Nik is the Rudi guru so although to the point, his opinion is likely spot on. I'm holding off rolling mine until I compare it with a HeadAmp Reference I have on route. Should be a good weekend unless CanadaPost ruins it for me
biggrin.gif

"Nik is the Rudi guru", that has a EarMax AE with NOS Telefunken... the two amps have the same tubes... look my signature for the best set you can find (if still available... ???).

Best!
Nicola

Sep 22, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Nik is the Rudi guru so although to the point, his opinion is likely spot on.

Not to knock on Nik, as he was the one that turned me onto this amp.
biggrin.gif
But as I have stated before, your milage may vary. Nik's system is very different than mine, and thus, have a very different sound characteristics. (And very different than yours) What we are essentially doing with tube rolling, is to adjust the sound characteristics of our system to fit our own personal preferences. Even if we put together a panel listening to the same system, we will most likely have a very diverse opinions about which tubes is the best.

I switched to a pair of Amperex 7308 white labels last night, and I can say that my preference is definitely leaning towards Amperex tubes. (I have all Amperex tubes in all my gears right now from DAC to phonostage to preamps to headphone amps.)

But of course, that may all change, say tomorrow, if I change my source components to something else.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back