My Top 5 Minimalism Picks
May 18, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #61 of 66
I ordered Solo Piano (Philip Glass) because of this thread

just started listening to it. am I crazy or am I hearing his foot land on the piano pedals in this opening song? very faint background noises and I'm pretty sure that's what it is. freakin awesome. it's beautiful either way but that sort of excited me :D

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #62 of 66
Glasgow is having a Minimalism season with various performances

http://www.glasgowconcerthalls.com/minimal

I am going to see Terry Riley's In C.

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #64 of 66
I do enjoy minimalism very much. But in other genres than classical though.

But if I have to stick with classical-minimalism I'd mention some of the musicians that are already mentioned here: Steve Reich, Arvo Pärt, Terry Riley.

Mar 19, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #65 of 66
Got this box a while ago:

Minimal Piano Collection vol.1-10, performed by Jeroen van Veen.

This set contains more Philip Glass than you can shake your fist at, as well as a generous selection by composers both familiar (John Adams, Michael Nyman) and obscure (most of them European).  Two discs are devoted to van Veen's own cycle of piano preludes.

To me the greatest discovery is the bristling 35-minute Solodevilsdance IV for solo piano by Dutch composer Simeon ten Holt.  van Veen has recorded ten Holt's works for multiple pianos and I'm really intrigued.

The recording is very, very close-miked, lacking in atmosphere and at times rather oppressive.  It subtracts from the beauty of these pieces; but at Brilliant Classic's price, it is a small concession to make.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #66 of 66
Quote:
Got this box a while ago:

Minimal Piano Collection vol.1-10, performed by Jeroen van Veen.

This set contains more Philip Glass than you can shake your fist at, as well as a generous selection by composers both familiar (John Adams, Michael Nyman) and obscure (most of them European).  Two discs are devoted to van Veen's own cycle of piano preludes.

To me the greatest discovery is the bristling 35-minute Solodevilsdance IV for solo piano by Dutch composer Simeon ten Holt.  van Veen has recorded ten Holt's works for multiple pianos and I'm really intrigued.

The recording is very, very close-miked, lacking in atmosphere and at times rather oppressive.  It subtracts from the beauty of these pieces; but at Brilliant Classic's price, it is a small concession to make.

Great selection!

I met Jeroen and had the opportunity to work with him! This is a great box set, but I agree about the issues with the recording (and some of the interpretation) on this album.

I do recommend his recording of "Canto Ostinato" and another of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells recorded for 4 pianos that he recorded with Marcel Bergmann (whom I have also had the opportunity to meet and work with; an amazing musician and great guy all round).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back