My thoughts on the KSC-35
Sep 9, 2003 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sgraphics

Head-Fier
Ok first I gotta say that I'm a headphone newbie so if you are a newbie too.. you cant take me TOO seriously! Here are my thoughts on what I think about the KSC-35 after a day of listening.

The only headphones with what I have to compare are the closed, bassy Sennheiser HD202's. Both of these have a low price so when I say they sound good at something they might sound not so good at it compared to some $4k stax system if you know what I mean.

The sound precision is Great! I hear things (artifacts in sounds?) I am not used/supposed to hear and I like that. For example windows 'error' sound has a little hisss at the end
tongue.gif
All the instruments are telling a little different story than with my Sennheisers.

Soundstage is close to perfect! The lower end seems to cut off at a certain Hz though.. so the bass is not deep, its more compact.

I tested several music styles and what I found out was that with real musical instruments the phones are excellent.. piano, bongo drums, guitar and even electric guitar in rock is very pleasant, clear and sound more "there" than with the 'modern'-sounding HD202's. I found myself really enjoying some old Phil Collins CD and that is not what I do
smily_headphones1.gif
The vocals are balanced and overall the headphones are pleasant to hear but this is also the minus for me...

As I said they are very good for "normal" music.. but I listen to electronic music (trance, techno) and for that purpose they are a little bit too pleasant and dull. My HD202's are significally more exciting in that gategory. 202's have their own weaknesses (but thats another story). I've read here that the Beyerdynamic Dt770 is good for this kind of music?

So ending this great review
wink.gif
i would like to say that KSC-35's are not the best choice for electronic music (or at least thats my opinion).

PS. Can anyone tell me how does the Senn MX500 soundstage differ from KSC'35's?

Sep 9, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
The DT-770 will practically move on your ehad if given good powerand material to play, for trance it's almost like actually being a a club, a superb experience!

dang, you are tempting me to the dark side
very_evil_smiley.gif

basshead.gif

Sep 11, 2003 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by sgraphics
PS. Can anyone tell me how does the Senn MX500 soundstage differ from KSC'35's?

How do they compare?

Sep 11, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by sgraphics
How do they compare?

MX500 are far behind of KSC35 in the soundstage area. Compare? Think of KSC35 as a movie theater and the MX500 as an stereo TV set.

Sep 11, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 8
For all the praise of the MX500, I'm not particularly impressed with them because they have a hard time staying in my ear in the optimum position where they sound good. I'm sure they could sound good, if you were to walk along in a crabwise shuffle keeping your head absolutely still
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 11, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 8
I recently recieved the KSC35 myself, and I just want to say that I'm impressed. I've owned the PortaPro, KSC50, KSC55, and the KTX Pro 1, all similar drivers (same impedance, similar specs), and I never would've thought the line of drivers was capable of what the KSC35 does if I'd never heard it.

Sep 11, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 8
I'd sure love a pair of those, my dad says he'll order a pair next week for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Getting very tired of my new 50's. My old ones were nice and broken in and were quite comfy. I had almost forgotten how loosely these things fit! Literally, the earclips are so loose that they can flop around when I shake my head! I've really gotta work on these rubber clips.

edit: Also, I've heard of that "microphonic" problem with the Etymotic's and have NEVER had any problems with my 50's in that area. In fact, the first time I figured out it existed was when I tried those crap-o headphones that came with my MZ-S1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back