My Thoughts on the AKG 240 Studio Headphones
Jan 24, 2005 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MiniCooperS123

New Head-Fier
Well this is my first thread if not first post on this forum. I was dragged into the audio world kicking and screaming by a friend of mine, but it has been paying off. After a long time of thinking and procrastinating, I bought the studio version of the AKG 240s. I ordered them from Adorama in NYC and got them in 4 days, good experience as far as ordering goes. I've had them for 5 days now.

Now for my first thoughts. When I first opened the box I was really excited to see the AKGs in person and I tried them on immediately. They felt great, comfortable, light and had good isolation without music playing. Isolation in general is very good. When music is playing or you are playing a game, you better watch your back because somebody can sneak up on you.

Straight out of the box they beat my Sony MDR-#1POS headphones I've had for years now. This is where my lack of experience plays its role. I am not too sure how to describe the sound or even what to listen to identify highs, lows, mids. It’s all a blur to me. One thing I can definitely describe though is the bass. It is great, not really blasting away or too little, kind of like a nice balance making for a good listening experience. They did seem a little harsh when I first used them, but it’s gone or just less noticeable now.

The only thing I can possibly say about these headphones, one of which is a problem that I'll only possibly face and the other a questionable thing. The first thing everyone will have is the self adjusting mechanism, which consists of two elastic cords on both sides of the headphones. They work, but not sure how easy they wear out or if they could break, then again underwear has elastic in it and it doesn't break, The other problem and also being a comfort related problem, is that my right ear is bent out a little more than my left one. Like imagine your right ear being pulled slightly out. After a while of listening my ear starts to hurt, weird because it presses against my ear a little not crushing it, but its manageable.

And finally my setup. I use these AKGs mainly for music and games on my computer. Occasionally I use them with my Rio Carbon, but you can hear the difference between the PC and Rio. I am currently using onboard audio from by computer, which make some people here cry knowing this is how I am using them but tis what I have.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to post them.

Thanks, Aaron C.

Jan 25, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 5
glad you like the k240s, btw. how much did u get it for? im thinkin about gettin it on ebay. it goes for 90 new on ebay..
so its either the k240s or the ms-1 for me soon

-st3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back