My thoughts on Plantronics Audio 550 DSP
Jul 18, 2006 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

OpTicaL

100+ Head-Fier
Just got these in today from eBay for $60 shipped. Tried it out and thought I stick with my Plantronics .90. Reason?

1) DSP is basically a built-in soundcard with extremely little configuration. Didn't know what the heck DSP was until I got it.

2) PerSono software can't handle 5.1 sound, becauase I tried watching a movie with AC3 audio stream and I can hardly hear the actor's voice.

3) Doesn't work with my Audigy 2 (unless I'm wrong and there is someway to get it to work with my Audigy 2 drivers instead of it's own drivers)

Now I need some headphone/headset recommendations, I need a headphone/headset that will use my available hardware. My current .90 plugs into my 5.1 system's master controller (it has a input hole on the controller for me to plug in headphones, using Altec Lansing 5100 btw) and of course all my front, rear and center speakers are plugged into my subwoofer and from there plugs directly into my sound card. When I plug my .90 into my master controller it basically intercepts the audio signal my sound card puts out giving sound to my headset. From there I can configure the bass and everything I need from my Audigy's software. I need a headphone/headset that can do that, use my available hardware instead of using it's own.

There's so many Sennheisers to choose from on their website and I don't know which one is good (sub $100 budget)

Mainly used to listen to music and occasional Counter Strike Source. Planning on upgrading to X-Fi Xtreme Music very soon.

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 5
Personally I find the sq of the plantronics 90 disappointing. The only reason I stick with plantronics and don't use my K340 is that the p 60 is a lot less hot than a circumaural phone.
Almost everything recommended here will be a lot better than those.

Of course, for gaming, it's sufficient.

You could go for one of the senn headsets (don't know about sq though) or use a full size phone and a zalman zm-mic 1 clip on mic.

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 5
I second the proper 'phone + zalman mic combo.

Jul 18, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 5
Is there any way to get my Audio 550 to work with my sound card and not using Plantronics own PerSono sound card? or is there a USB to Analog adapter?

I'm thinking of getting the Senn HD595 but my question is, will it plug into my soundcard's headphone input? or do I need a special adapter?

Jul 19, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL
I'm thinking of getting the Senn HD595 but my question is, will it plug into my soundcard's headphone input? or do I need a special adapter?

It'll plug right in. No adapters needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back