My thoughts on MS1's
Oct 21, 2007 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Leti1285

New Head-Fier
Being the first set of headphones Ive had the chance to listen to and to actually pay attention to the performance of the MS1's. I would have to say they are pretty amazing headphones. I first listened to Dave Matthews Band with them, and as most know they are known for their variation of sounds in their songs. I was able to pick out and hear clearly each sound. Amazing there. I am now listening to some classical music, and I think I've fallen in love with them. The combo of both is making for a relaxing and easy listen. Not like other headphones I've listened to the in the past, the sound is clear (I do love that), even raise and fall of the bass is distinct and not mashed together to sound the same. I've been to a classical concert before and I feel this is probably better.

Too bad these are my boyfriends or I would snatch them. He's sleeping right now, I don't think he will notice to much. No, I wouldn't do that. But he did wake me up at 4am when I first got here to visit him to listen to them. Even at 4am I was taken back by their performance and how comfortable they are too. I think the next time I have the money, these will be the first set of headphones I will actually buy.

But anyway, back to listening to these beauties. Just thought I would share my first listen with MS1's with you all.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 11
Thanks for sharing your impressions and welcome to HeadFi. Be sure to hide your wallet! I'm glad to hear you like them for classical music as much as I do and agree they sure are clear. You may want to add your thoughts to the MS1 appreciation thread which is further down this page. How did you and your BF decide these phones are for you? I ask because Alessandro phones, unlike Grados, are not very well known.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 11
they are on my to buy list, i want phone for a wide variety of music unlike grados.

however i am in college and there are usually other noises going around so i have hd25's on the way for now. has anyone compared the hd25's and ms1's?

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 11
Haha you certainly are sneaky lol Maybe fore xmas you might get some of your own
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 11
Speaking of taking things; I just took my MS-1 back from the Grandkids who have been them using them again this year. Yeah; they got them tangled in their computer chair....again.
mad.gif

But hey! They still sound just great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Watch out for these things though. They have a bigger brother; the MS2i.
blink.gif

MS-1 can be addictive!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously; the MS-1 are lots of fun and I suspect mine will still be around and in full use for a long time to come!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 11
I use the MS1 and HD25-1 headphones.

I like the HD25 headphones for general listening, classic rock, metal, and such. I recommend investing in a shortened and replugged (to mini) OFC SENN 650 cord as it really lets the HD25 live.

The MS1 headphones I put SENN 414 foamies on to reduce the (too me) fatigue from sibilence. I like the MS1 for lighter music, classical, instrumental, vocals, and such. The "details" seem to be the 'phone's strongpoint.

To me, each headphone has it's niche for listening to different types of music.

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1M1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the MS1 and HD25-1 headphones.

I like the HD25 headphones for general listening, classic rock, metal, and such. I recommend investing in a shortened and replugged (to mini) OFC SENN 650 cord as it really lets the HD25 live.

The MS1 headphones I put SENN 414 foamies on to reduce the (too me) fatigue from sibilence. I like the MS1 for lighter music, classical, instrumental, vocals, and such. The "details" seem to be the 'phone's strongpoint.

To me, each headphone has it's niche for listening to different types of music.

so the ms1's wouldn't be a total upgrade? i may invest in something higher for just-at-home listening and let the hd25's be for portability.

what are the differences between HD650, HD600, and HD25-13 cables?

i understand the 650 and 25-13 end in 1/4" and are 3m, but the HD25-13 cable has different lengths for each side specifically for the HD25 so you don't have to rotate the cups.

any other differences? they sound the same? all are OFC? can they all be ordered through sennUSA? and where can i get a 1/8" to solder on?

b

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 11
A lot of Dave Mathews tunes excel with Grados. Tight, percussive and very ambiently recorded. Even during very busy, up-tempo compositions you can clearly separate the different tracks from the mix.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm falling in love with my MS-1's all over again, as I have just gotten a pair of TTVJ flats and also borrowed a pair of bowls (thanks wnmnkh). They were beginning to get annoyingly fatiguing. Surprisingly the listening fatigue went away with the new pads, I thought the opposite would happen (damn comfies). They sound much more exciting now, but I can't decide between the flats and the bowls.

It's too bad I got to listen to wnmkh's SR225's, those were definitely more smooth and refined than the cans on my head right now, and the benjamins in my wallet are itching to leave D:

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 11
I am undecided if the MS1 is an upgrade over the HD25-1.

I just think of them as different 'phones. It is a subjective thing.

I think the HD25-13 cable are OFC, but I couldn't find them - so I simply shortened a 650 cable (did my own soldering on of a mini plug - works, so good enough at this stage).

As for a definitive upgrade, I'd recommend finding someplace to audition a pair of 'phones with a song on a source you know. I suspect, though, that major differences in sound seem to be heard only after you've "trained" you listening skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back