My Thoughts Of the New Sony Walkman A865
May 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #346 of 516
Mine is running on firmware version 2.0.  Is that the latest version?  I like the responsiveness.  I think the X was on steroids.  It responded too fast.  You'd scroll through music and it would take off like a rocket.  I am not hearing much difference in sound between this one and my S764 to be honest.  Volume levels are just about exact.  The A series might be a little more crisp in the high end...but I haven't done enough comparison yet to really tell.  I really like that you can set the hold button to just make the touch screen non responsive, and keep the physical buttons working.  Overall it's a nice player.  One of the worst I've seen yet when it comes to finger prints and smudges though.  I'm gonna get that case from BH Photovideo.  Looks like it's really nice and probably very necessary. 

Edit:  Funny thing.  I just looked on Sony's website to see if there is a firmware update.  And indeed there is.  It's for version 1.01.  But mine is running on Firmware version 2.0.  Strange. 
Quote:
I think the responsiveness would increase if you updated the firmware using a computer... or it may be just me. Well, the A860 have a wider soundstage than my S750 in my opinion, though the S750 sounds warmer. 

Well, anyways, enjoy your new toy! And welcome to the club!

May 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #347 of 516
I think I'll do a check for a FW update later this evening, but I have to search for the EU update. Would anyone happen to have a link for it? Thanks in advance,...:)

May 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #348 of 516
Quote:
Mine is running on firmware version 2.0.  Is that the latest version?  I like the responsiveness.  I think the X was on steroids.  It responded too fast.  You'd scroll through music and it would take off like a rocket.  I am not hearing much difference in sound between this one and my S764 to be honest.  Volume levels are just about exact.  The A series might be a little more crisp in the high end...but I haven't done enough comparison yet to really tell.  I really like that you can set the hold button to just make the touch screen non responsive, and keep the physical buttons working.  Overall it's a nice player.  One of the worst I've seen yet when it comes to finger prints and smudges though.  I'm gonna get that case from BH Photovideo.  Looks like it's really nice and probably very necessary. 

Edit:  Funny thing.  I just looked on Sony's website to see if there is a firmware update.  And indeed there is.  It's for version 1.01.  But mine is running on Firmware version 2.0.  Strange. 

Mine is version 1.01, I'm thinking the 2.0 update is only for the unlimited music thing. 1.01 actually increases the responsiveness, I don't know if it's just me, but it becomes too responsive (LOL)!

May 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #351 of 516
Hi All,

Yep that icon is for Sony's Music Unlimited, the latest version is 2.01, you need to download & install the Music Unlimited software for it to work. This will also update the firmware to 2.01, the Music Unlimited may well offer you a free period, here in the UK mine came with 180 days of free access.

Cheers

Mark

May 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #353 of 516
Quote:
.... I really like that you can set the hold button to just make the touch screen non responsive, and keep the physical buttons working. ...

This is really annoying me on the X. It means if the buttons get pressed in your bag or pocket, it turns on and often plays. So when you want to use it, theres no battery. The alternative it to make the hold disable the buttons aswell. Which means there no point in having buttons. 

May 21, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #354 of 516
Quote:

This is really annoying me on the X. It means if the buttons get pressed in your bag or pocket, it turns on and often plays. So when you want to use it, theres no battery. The alternative it to make the hold disable the buttons aswell. Which means there no point in having buttons. 

Well, we're hard to please, after all :wink: 

May 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #356 of 516
I tried to hook mine up to my car stereo this morning and couldn't get any sound out of the HO.  I had the same issue with my X long ago.  I had to run the connector out of the LO instead.  Is anyone else finding that same issue?

May 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #357 of 516
What does the Music Unlimited offer?  Is it like Microsofts old music pass or whatever that was called?  For a monthly subscription you get to listen to unlimited songs but you don't own any of them?

Quote:
Hi All,
Yep that icon is for Sony's Music Unlimited, the latest version is 2.01, you need to download & install the Music Unlimited software for it to work. This will also update the firmware to 2.01, the Music Unlimited may well offer you a free period, here in the UK mine came with 180 days of free access.
Cheers
Mark

May 22, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #360 of 516
Hi,

I've not really delved into things fully but I can confirm that it's cached to the device, using the free trial allows you sample music by genres, such as alternative, rock, metal etc. It them caches samples by chosen genres to the device. You don't get to chose artists, but you're able to train its selection by liking or disliking each track from the device.

The full subscription service allows you do pretty much everything including pick individual tracks, artists & make custom playlists etc, again cached to the device, sorry if this sounds fague, but I've not used it that much.

Cheers

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back