My Thoughts Of the New Sony Walkman A865
Sep 23, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #91 of 516
What I really dislike about Sony players is the lack of microSD slots and no FLAC support. A damned shame, would have gotten one otherwise.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #93 of 516
Hello

I would like to know if there is an update (only sound) from the sony x, the one I have to this. Now that it´s possible to find the A867 here in Spain. Don´t really like too much the concept about the Android walkman. If someone could make and A/B test would be great.

Something that worried me was the fact that the previous A85X was not very good in that aspect (electric noises and clicks here and there). Thanks

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #95 of 516
We'll be getting the new A-Series in October 2011, and the Android based Z-Series in December 2011.
Both available in 64 GB.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #96 of 516
^^ What is your source for this? Most info releases say that the US will not be getting the 64gb at all, in either series.

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #97 of 516

Quote:
Hello

I would like to know if there is an update (only sound) from the sony x, the one I have to this. Now that it´s possible to find the A867 here in Spain. Don´t really like too much the concept about the Android walkman. If someone could make and A/B test would be great.

Something that worried me was the fact that the previous A85X was not very good in that aspect (electric noises and clicks here and there). Thanks

Quote:
Anyone? Looks like the new A serie doesn´t make the good impression that made the X. What about the new S-master amp (MX), any noticeable difference?

PD: Sorry for my english

So far from a couple of threads have suggested there is an improvement with the new MX amp over the first S Master amp found on the X model. But expectation does proceed Sony should of made some sort of improvement with two years since the S master amp was introduced, how much of an improvement though would be another question altogether which is why i guess we will have to be patient for more reviews as I think as some may be waiting for the larger capacity memory players to be available as currently here in the UK it is only the 16gb model unless one went to Amp3 website.

I think also some people like myself who can only choose one of thee two players and since news broke about the Android Z model are maybe waiting for the release of this model over the A series.  Both have their own unique plus points as the new A series is a proper small what you really call small and lightweight portable Walkman even though this new A series as good a build quality as it is the materials used do not give that premium feel like the X model did which is where I think looking at the pictures the new Z model is the one to receive the Louis Vuitton treatment so to speak in design and materials used as the Z will inevitably be the flagship model for Sony when it graces our shopping outlets. 

For many ardent Sony admirers this new Android model is the one they have been waiting for as a real attempt of Sony trying their version of what could be called an iPod Touch in terms of what it can do besides been just a music player. 

Quote:
^^ What is your source for this? Most info releases say that the US will not be getting the 64gb at all, in either series.

I think Jipod is referring to the Japanese market where he is located for release which is early December. 
I am impatiently waiting on a release date for EU release which I am guessing will be anytime in 1st Q of 2012! Guess I should feel lucky at least Europe will get 64gb. I do not understand why Sony keep shunning the US market when it comes to the top capacity at the time in that model range. Saying that Sony did eventually release the X in a 32gb which was god knows how long after the rest of us all got it. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #98 of 516

Quote:

I think Jipod is referring to the Japanese market where he is located for release which is early December. 
I am impatiently waiting on a release date for EU release which I am guessing will be anytime in 1st Q of 2012! Guess I should feel lucky at least Europe will get 64gb. I do not understand why Sony keep shunning the US market when it comes to the top capacity at the time in that model range. Saying that Sony did eventually release the X in a 32gb which was god knows how long after the rest of us all got it. 

Yeah, I sure wish the US would get one of the new Sony models in 64GB. I'm shopping for a new DAP now, and the way Sony is doing things my money will wind up going somewhere else, like the J3 probably. We were certainly fortunate to get the 32GB X when we did, late to the party as it was! 

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #99 of 516
CN11 - this is the sort of thing that worries me with Sony as I am sure many have already despite regarding them as been good products have had enough for one reason or another and voted with their wallets and gone elsewhere and excluding certain territory's like the example with Sony not stocking the bigger capacity Walkman like they did the 32gb X series for a number of months and even possibly the new A  series going the same route regardless of whatever reason Sony do this for is not acceptable for consumers and in turn can have a down turn in loyal customers.

I am not sure if Sony ever do pay attention to feedback of what we really want,but things like the EU volume cap on the last A series has not been done for the new A model this time thus make me thinks they do listen and it must of affected their sales of that player to a certain extent.

So my theory would be for everyone who is a Sony Wakman owner  who does admire the good things they are capable of but are totally perplexed and  consistently frustrated with them not implementing features that we all want to see that still does not get implemented with each generation that goes by is to do what I did and post it on Sony's Facebook wall with some feedback (I did a 5 point bulletin on what I classed as priority implementations (long over due) features should already be on these Walkmans. 

Got a reply on the Wall from Sony UK saying we appreciate the feedback, blah-blah-blah and have forwarded it on to the relevant people at Sony UK. Whether they have or not is another matter but if we all did this on our respective native Sony Facebook wall's and they got enough influx of the same thing been repeated from us paying customers then maybe, just maybe something might come of it in time. 

So if I start seeing Mini/micro SD card slot, reliable long battery life (unlike these new 2011 A & Z series), on the go playlist (not the irrelevant "Sense me" substitute), every generation of touch screen Walkman to have hard buttons on top like the X series and no more volume capping like they did on the last A series! apart from the last one if any of them happen in the next generation or two's time I would like to think they might of listened to our customer feedback. 

I know others out there would like to see stuff like Flac for example but it would be great if everyone flooded their Facebook page with user feedback regarding omitted and requested features on their Walkmans. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #100 of 516
Well,

Even though this thread seems to have turned a bit negative towards the A865, I must say that I ordered one today, that - all being well should be with me tomorrow...

...I am totally in love with the NWZ-X1060 -> MDR-EX1000 -> Comply tips combination, so - I wonder if the synergy between player and earphones will increase further with them both being 2011 vintage...

...Time will tell :) 

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #101 of 516
Good news Duncan. I look forward to your impressions, especially how the newer S-master MX internal amp sounds. Glad the EX1000's are doing you well with the X1060, hopefully there will be even better synergy with the new Sony. 

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #102 of 516
Hmm...

I feel disappointed...

Without doubt, as the OP mentioned, the soundstage and seperation are improved over the X, that being said - this (UK model) player definitely doesn't have the drive of the X, nor does it have the soul, emotion, or warmth...

It sounds much more analytical than soulful - great for some people for sure, but - i'm not so sure it is so great for me...

...Then again, I have been known to post initial impressions and then do a complete about turn further down the line - so, you never know :wink:

...Anyway - my initial impression is that I am glad that I have two X1060s :)

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #103 of 516

Quote:
Hmm...

I feel disappointed...

Without doubt, as the OP mentioned, the soundstage and seperation are improved over the X, that being said - this (UK model) player definitely doesn't have the drive of the X, nor does it have the soul, emotion, or warmth...

It sounds much more analytical than soulful - great for some people for sure, but - i'm not so sure it is so great for me...

...Then again, I have been known to post initial impressions and then do a complete about turn further down the line - so, you never know :wink:

...Anyway - my initial impression is that I am glad that I have two X1060s :)

Interesting...... I think that is how the last A series sounded in comparison to the X, so maybe Sony are going for this more cleaner analytical signature since the X.  Wonder if the Z series when it arrives will have a different SQ to this new A series even though it will essentially have the same digital amp in the both of them. 

Good to hear the sound stage and especially the seperation have improved.

It may well be a case though Duncan you do need more time to adapt to the signature of this new A model after a year or so with the X which for a digital amp had the irony of sounding fairly warm..  I just wish they had done a 64gb X series but guess you have if you put your two together with some glue! : )

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #104 of 516
Yay the sony A865 just appeared on my country's sony website!! Looks like its coming!!

But judging by cmments here the A865 doesnt seems as good as advertised. So i'll just have to hang on and see
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #105 of 516

Quote:
Yay the sony A865 just appeared on my country's sony website!! Looks like its coming!!

But judging by cmments here the A865 doesnt seems as good as advertised. So i'll just have to hang on and see
biggrin.gif

I have to say that something that FortisFlyer75 said rings true to my ears (although it is a cliche I have used before, it is very valid here) - the X sounds like analogue (vinyl, warm, lush - a candlelit evening) and the A865 sounds like digital (like early CD with the brickwall filters - very clear, very anaalytical) - now, what needs to be considered there by me I guess, is what format (vinyl vs CD) won the war,,,

I do wonder if I will be in the minority, afterall, the OP seems to feels the A865 sounds better to his / her ears than the X...

More burn in, and more opinions from other users are required before any damning decision on whether the A865 is a winner or not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back