My temporary decision! FX66 vs Titans
Feb 16, 2010 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gage

Head-Fier
I was reading up and found a lot of people here enjoy people posting there decisions, so, I am deciding the post!

In the process of finding an upgrade, my current IEM's decided to break (shotty skullcandy titans), so, I decided to go to walmart and buy something cheap. Well, I came home with a pair of JVC FX66, the upgrade of the Marshmallows from what I gather.

Well, holy sweet darn was I surprised, these $36 earphones put my $70 titans to absolute shame in every way possible!

I don't have a lot of experience, so when reading my very brief review/comparison, don't take my word to seriously without reading others as well!

1) Comfort: I would have to put them on equal level for comfort, however this is because earphone weight/size does not bother me. The JVC's are much smaller and lighter then the Skullcandy Titans.

2) Sound Quality:

Treble: Both were decent in the high treble range, but with the skullcandies I got a sense of "fake" clarity because of the emphasis on the beginning of each note. With the JVC's I don't get this, I get clear highs that do not sound overly emphasized, a very nice switch from the Skullcandies.

Mids: Now, with the JVC's the mids are, while not badly, a bit recessed in comparison to the titans, they have better clarity, but are not as up front as the skullcandy titans

Bass: JVC indefinitely has better bass, much more punchy/less muddy, and even more powerful then the titans. The nice part is the bass is only there when it is meant to be there. With the titans (which aren't half as bassy as the FMJ's) the bass was there when it wasn't meant to be, this resulted in a slight hum through parts with no bass, which irritated me personally.

All I gotta say is right outta the box they sound better then titans with 200-300hrs use...

3) Seperation: This is where I notice a huge difference, I have never had an IEM that had good separation between bass guitar and electric guitar, until now. With the JVC FX66, I can hear every note the bass is playing, as well as every note the electric is playing, without interference. Both melodies are clear. With the skullcandy titans... while the bass and electric were both on equal levels of volume, which was good, they were extremely blended together, to a point you physically couldn't find each ones melody, unless it was bass playing alone, or electric playing alone, it was impossible to distinguish the 2.

Noise Cancellation: Skullcandies have the JVC's beat on this one, whilst the Isolation on skullcandies is not perfect, the larger design definitely enabled them to have better isolation then the JVC's.

Build Quality: have only had the JVC's for a couple hours, but if they last longer then 6 months they got any skullcandy IEM beat. As far as what I see, the cord is thick and durable feeling, much moreso then the Skullcandies, however I must give skullcandy something, the actual ear piece itself never breaks, it is all metal and is tough, there problem is the cord and jack, they like to have connection problems. With the JVC's, only time will tell.

Now, with both of these I am using the T400 Foam tips, as these are what I get the best sound out of.

Anyone who says these have no bass is not getting a seal with them. I did not get a good seal with the stock silicone's and the stock foams were to small for my ears, however with the T400's I get a perfect seal, and great sound.

please do comment!

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 8
My sister got her Titans at $45, which I still view as too much money for the crapatastic product it is. It broke on me while I was A/Bing it, and since I broke it (damn thing fell apart) I've had to deal with SC's non-responsive Customer Support. I have tried to give her a pair of Eterna at cost, which are $67 IEMs, but she seems to want her Titans back. I'm betting she'll get her replacement and immediately be disappointed and wish she took the offer
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My sister got her Titans at $45, which I still view as too much money for the crapatastic product it is. It broke on me while I was A/Bing it, and since I broke it (damn thing fell apart) I've had to deal with SC's non-responsive Customer Support. I have tried to give her a pair of Eterna at cost, which are $67 IEMs, but she seems to want her Titans back. I'm betting she'll get her replacement and immediately be disappointed and wish she took the offer
wink.gif

no offense, but your sister needs to be slapped.

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

wink.gif

shotty, I have had my SC's replaced 5 or so time now (FMJ's twice, Titans once, Ink'd once, all bought when I was dumb enough to buy them...) and they were responsive every time, but the first time it took them months, after that it was instant every time.

And that was very foolish or her not to take that offer! how old is your sister? I can see that if she is <18 and wants to have what all the other kids have... happened to me to, just luckily I was smart enough to stop wasting money on there shoddy products.

Feb 16, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Im not a big fan of skullcandy titans, they dont last longer...the cord is very weak, and regarding sound quality, the mids and highs are not very clear.

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no offense, but your sister needs to be slapped.

Oh I totally agree, she had the choice between the Metro.Fi 200 and them for about the same price, and I just couldn't sway her somehow. She was also intent on buying from Future Shop, so that put the NE-7M out of the question (she bought the titans several months ago but sparingly used them.)
She's 11, and doesn't like to take any of my advice simply because I said it. That's just how she is, lol. And yeah, she is crazy to not take my offer, but I know she'll put her SCs in her ear and listen for a few seconds and realize she's crazy for not taking it.

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Oh I totally agree, she had the choice between the Metro.Fi 200 and them for about the same price, and I just couldn't sway her somehow. She was also intent on buying from Future Shop, so that put the NE-7M out of the question (she bought the titans several months ago but sparingly used them.)
She's 11, and doesn't like to take any of my advice simply because I said it. That's just how she is, lol. And yeah, she is crazy to not take my offer, but I know she'll put her SCs in her ear and listen for a few seconds and realize she's crazy for not taking it.

Then maybe she will listen next time, it's a learning curve I suppose, I can see that being a bit irritating though (or funny in some ways lol)

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I have tried to give her a pair of Eterna at cost, which are $67 IEMs, but she seems to want her Titans back.

OMG, I would disown her if I had a sister like that.
Eterna is my favorite IEM at the moment.
Anyway, I was so tempted to get Titan after reading headroom's recommendation late last year. I am glad I saved my money now that I've heard about all these shotty build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back