My TBAAM is sucking
Jan 28, 2006 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Medikit

100+ Head-Fier
Just got the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro for my IBM T43. I got it for my birthday but I figured it would be better than my laptop's onboard sound which has a slight hiss in the background. Well the TBAAM hisses like crazy, and not only that, when I plug it in the range of control I have over the volume is ridiculous. As soon as it goes from no volume to a little bit of volume it is too loud for my headphones and there are distortions and clipping during songs. I can't imagine the player is supposed to be like this. Any idea what this could be?

Jan 28, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 10
while it might be an improvement over the thinkpad's dac, the amplifier might be a different story.

Jan 29, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
while it might be an improvement over the thinkpad's dac, the amplifier might be a different story.

It just doesn't make any sense to have 0 ability to change volume

Putting my shure e4'c volume adjuster thingy seems to help a lot with the background noise but I still get clipping and distortion

Jan 29, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 10
Might be a faulty unit, but might also be your headphones. Do you have phones that are exceedingly low impedance? Really low impedeance cans can piss off porrly designed opamps and result in lots of hiss and distortion, not to meantion needing very little on the volume dial to get loud.

Try some different headphones on it and see if it does it no matter waht, or if it just doens't like your phones.

Jan 29, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft
Might be a faulty unit, but might also be your headphones. Do you have phones that are exceedingly low impedance? Really low impedeance cans can piss off porrly designed opamps and result in lots of hiss and distortion, not to meantion needing very little on the volume dial to get loud.

Try some different headphones on it and see if it does it no matter waht, or if it just doens't like your phones.

I have Shure E4s.

I don't own anything with higher impedance

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medikit
It just doesn't make any sense to have 0 ability to change volume

Tune down the volume of wave in windows mixer, that should give you more precise on the main out slider.

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 10
Try uninstalling the Turtle Beach drivers and using the generic ones. That seems to help with hiss.

Jan 29, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Try uninstalling the Turtle Beach drivers and using the generic ones. That seems to help with hiss.

I started using the generic ones and used the turtle beach drivers to try and fix it.

Jan 29, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 10
I use the TBAAM as a digital source to my spitfire DAC but I have tried the analog directly to my e4's and my MS1's. I know what you mean by the useless volume control but if you use foobar (and prolly winamp) just use the volume control in there. When you throw an amp in the mix it helps greatly. I tried this out with my A47 and my gilmore. Both gave better results than the TBAAM alone...which is a pretty obvious result
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 10
If anyone is interested in how things turned out. I tried everything suggested. Still got clipping. Uninstalled the drivers this morning and sent it back to JR. I'm getting an echo indigo DJ instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back