My take on the SAA Equinox vs. factory HD600 cable
Nov 7, 2007 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Know Talent

100+ Head-Fier
Test 1# 9' SAA Equinox w/ 1/4" jack vs. factory HD600 cable
Arcam FMJ CD23 powered by PS Audio mains cord, running 0.5m StraightWire "Serenade" IC's into X-Can V3 with factory wall wart.

The factory cables sound recessed in the mids, like you're standing in a hallway just off the main room....slightly veiled would probably be the best description. Bass is strong, if not some what bloomy...NOT bloated, but definately emphasized vs. the mid and upper ranges.
Separation between instruments is good and vocals are amazing. On "Lowdown" Boz has two backup singers and you can make out both individual voices while they're harmonizing! very cool and adds a touch of dimensionality to the listening experience. Subtle vocal shifts, breathing and such are all there to hear.

Switching over to the SAA cable, the first thing I noticed was how the bass tightened up and the mids came forward. At first I was kind of dissapointed as my main bass reference is Patricia Barber's rendition of Bill Wither's "Use Me" which has a kickass double bass intro. The factory cables are seriously "phat" and the decay is awesome as it trails into blackness. The SAA's definitely provide toe-tapping rythym, and are more accurate based upon my experiences listening to live double bass, but it's not as flamboyant as what the factory cables throw at you. Much the same for the bass drum hits on the opening to the Eagles "Hotel California" off of Hell Freezes Over. The SAA provides low register slam but cast just a ever-so-slight, but noticeable, smaller low freqency presence. It's like the soundstage is, not compressed, but somewhat smaller vs. the factory wire(?)

The mid frequency stuff is where the SAA really leave the factory cables in the dust. Again, the factory cables often make vocals sound like you're sitting in the balcony or sometimes in a hallway adjacent to the main room....magnitude dependent on recording per usual. The SAA Equinox bring the vocals and all other mid freq come FORWARD! Not so much that it outweighs the balance but it just seems so dramatic vs. the factory cables because now you've just moved to 7th row center (or closer). Patricia Barber's vocals on "Live: A Fortnight in France" sound like you're sitting right next to her on the piano bench... AWESOME!!!
The backup vocalists on Boz's Live Greatest Hits are now not just two distinct voices, but two voices that if you close you eyes you feel as if you could reach out and touch them. AMAZING.

I can't comment much on the highs as I feel my hearing is not good enough to evaluate such. All I will say is both the SAA and factory present clean highs without an edge.

IMO, the strong point to the SAA's is that, in bringing the mids forward, they bring a better balance to the frequency range. The bass, while not as "bloomy" as the factory cables, is tight and musical. I have read other reviews which state a slightly elevated upper midrange with the SAA's and I have not noticed this yet. My guess would be that this impression may be dependent (colored) on ears, choice of music and recording???

Looking forward to plugging the "Little Pinkie V3i" into the chain tonite!!!
(Maybe I'll get some of that bloomy "phat" bass back!!!
wink.gif
)

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 9
I just installed my new Balanced Equinox cable into a brand new pair of Sen HD650s. I was excited and in a hurry so I went right to installing the cable with out reading all the information on enclosed with the cable. Right after fully reading the cable installation instruction sheet and installing just one of the plugs into the phones I’ve panicked after noticing the GUNK, AKA break-in goo on the mini plugs and smeared all over the XLR contacts. I’m sure Stefan AudioArt has good intentions but History has demonstrated that nearly all the contact enhancers eventually become panned as contact "sonic degrader gunk” over time. The only exception I’m aware of is Pro Gold cleaner that leaves nearly no residue.

The stuff on all the Equinox contacts was like HEAVY grease. I plugged one contact in the phone which I'm sure forced some of this sludge into the HD-650 right channel female opening. I’m so happy I caught it before plugging in the other phone channel or worse the XLRs into Rudistor headphone amp. Did your cable have this coating on it and if so has it created any problems for you?

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 9
OP, I am glad you are enjoying your new Equinox cable. If you ever get an opportunity try the Revelation Audio or the Headphile Senn V2. I have tried all three and found the Revelation Audio to be the best of the three, however for the money the best deal is the Headphile Senn V2. With the Senn V2 you get over 95% of the benefit of the Revelation Audio at about half the cost. Just my $0.02

I guess it I really liked the Senn sound I could justify the cost of the Revelation Audio Cable. However I don't!
eek.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 9
I own Equinox LE ....

Hand down better to the stock cable.

The only complain ... it's not a flexible cable. All time need to care about how I use the cable. Need to worry all time to never twist it to not damage it.

I don't know how flexible are Zu, SilverDragon, Cardas ...

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 9
^^haha. that's so true. my zu is very flexible but i'm still super careful with it. it costs more than most of my headphones.
confused.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you ever get an opportunity try the Revelation Audio or the Headphile Senn V2. I have tried all three and found the Revelation Audio to be the best of the three

ditto that

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 9
I have been interested in trying an aftermarket cable with my 580's but don't want to fork over the money for one. I'd try one of the cables from Head-Direct but no one really has posted any impressions on them.

Dec 3, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 9
I actually like the whole non-flexible cord thing. I find that it keeps me from getting it tangled in my listening chair's wheels.

Also, have you guys noticed that microphonic cables tend to sound better? This could be just coincidence, but my Equinox on the HD650 and my BlackDragon on my GS1000 sound much better than the stock cables and also the Headroom upgraded cables. I really like Headroom's amps, but their cables look to me like someone just took a stock cord and quadrupled the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back