My Systems - Edition 9, modded-DX1000, D5000, RS-1, DB770, MPX3, Extreme, Havana, DAC1, Stello, Tesla Apex, ASIO, Foobar...
Nov 13, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #31 of 77
very enjoyable and informative read. thanks.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #32 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I was afraid the first time also. Finally I just grabbed an edge and pulled. I've done it over a dozen times now. It's no big deal and you don't need to worry about ripping them, it's just that first time that's scary. And getting them back on may be daunting at first, but after you do it once, it's easy.

OK, thanks a lot. A friend of mine got a pair of DX-1000 too, and one of the channels makes some noise, which for his description, could be due to a hair having got into the driver, or perhaps a loose screw holding it. He'd need to remove the pads to check them, but we both were scared of damaging them. I'll tell him about the procedure.

Rgrds

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #34 of 77
Very enjoyable read. I'm glad that it highlights the issue of synergy very well, and why something can sound good in one system and not in another, leaving some people disappointed because it was recommended to them.

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #35 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by FarFromCentre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you use the native Creative ASIO?

I've searched on Creative's site. I've Googled. And I've looked at the Creative software installed on my machine. But I can't find how to use the Creative ASIO, how to determine if it's already installed, or if there are setting associated with it. Do you know how to set it up?

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #37 of 77
i didnt finish. im going to finish reading this later
ph34r.gif

good work.

Nov 15, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #38 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, yeah, the shortcut I run just says ASIO4ALL, not the full title that's on the Start Menu.

I know it's not supposed to effect the sound. But it does. I don't know how or why. Every one of the settings effects the sound in some way. If you were here, I guarantee you would be able to hear it also. When I use the ASIO4ALL plug-in, the effect of the different sliders and checkboxes is very different. I can't explain it, but I also can't deny what I hear either.

You really are imagining things. If you're a programmer you'll know how to verify that it's not touching Direct Sound.

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #41 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by tongson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really are imagining things. If you're a programmer you'll know how to verify that it's not touching Direct Sound.

As a programmer, I also know that programs can have unintended side-effects.

Plus I have a good imagination. I also know that interconnects don't make a difference. Power cords do not make a difference. It's all just wire. I know that more expensive headphones don't make a difference past a certain price point. I know that power conditioning doesn't make a difference. Re-cabling a headphone doesn't make a difference. Different tube brands don't make a difference. That tube amps are inferior to technically perfect solid-state amps. And that higher resolution music files don't make a difference.

I've heard all of that before and so it must be true.

Nov 29, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #42 of 77
After trying to figure out how to mod the DX1000 some more, I looked at my Edition 9's, and thought if they can sound so good being so much thinner (i.e. no large cavity on the other side of the driver), maybe that would also do the trick with the DX1000. So, I got a couple of silver dollars and luckily they fit right in the driver cylinder and are held tightly in place by the three felt pads. I found it sounds better with them closer to the driver than further away.

Yes! This is much closer to what I was trying to achieve with the DX1000 mods. The silver dollar mod gets rid of a significant part of the 'music-in-a-box' sound. However the DX1000 sounds like the band is in the studio or night-club, whereas the Edition 9's sound like you're on an open stage -- there's just a fullness of sound to the DX1000's. The mod brightens up the highs so it's not so dark. It now has the delicacy and nuance of the Edition 9, yet also has great impact. And now the DX1000 significantly surpasses the emotion and excitement of the Edition 9. In fact I far prefer listening to the modded DX1000 now. They are that good. I never thought that would happen. I now have two $1500 headphones I no longer have a desire to listen to now. (Maybe I'll try modding one of them.
very_evil_smiley.gif
) It of course leaves the D5000 and RS-1 in the dust.

As close to perfect as I've heard, the currently modded DX1000 is still not perfect. I would still like a little more air and openness up top. The Edition 9's deep bass is a bit tighter and more defined. And there is just a bit of audio fatigue. I'm in line to get them recabled to APS v3 -- hopefully that will remove the last bit of fatigue, like it did with the Edition 9. And finally, the Edition 9 is more comfortable. I'm thinking of trying another pad mod to lessen the amount of real-estate the DX1000 pads have on the side of my head. We'll see.

I can say, my modded DX1000 is the finest headphone I've ever heard.

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #43 of 77
The Empirical equipment made enough of a difference to spend a couple times more than the dac? I have a curious interest in their gear but my wallet screams otherwise.

I also like the 2c51 gain tube in the Extreme. Gives it prat you won't get from a 6sn7. The power cord makes a big difference in the response of the amp and a silver plated or solid silver IC gives a clean and detailed presentation.

You have made several decisions for me. Great timing.

Thank you for such an effort in time and money.

Dec 1, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #44 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Empirical equipment made enough of a difference to spend a couple times more than the dac? I have a curious interest in their gear but my wallet screams otherwise.

I know what you mean. Mods that cost more than the original DAC! However, I was somewhat unsatisfied with the stock Benchmark, as it didn't have the warmth or full bottom end, like the Stello had. But it was far more resolving than the Stello, and the Empirical mods were supposed to fix those deficiencies. I read many reviews on other DACs in a similar price range - Bel Canto DAC3, the Monarchy DAC, and a few others, but from the descriptions, none of them sounded like what I wanted, so I decided to take the risk of getting the Empirical mods. Although I would have been satisified with the Havana if I had the Havana before ordering the Empirical mods, I'm glad I didn't, as I now know how much better it is than the Havana. I just wish I had a stock Benchmark to compare and quantify the benefits of the mods. Whether it's worth it for the price, that's always a subjective argument and depends on the results in your system and how much money you can spend on audio equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back