My System Overhauled
Jun 24, 2007 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kukrisna

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All,

So I took the plunge and emptied my wallet big time. Purchased a Presonus Central Station, AKG K701, and a Denon D2000 to replace/accompany my K501 and HD580.

Just received the CS and K701 - they've got a good 20 hours of burn-in time (pink noise) so far, and still awaiting my D2000 which seems to be a fluke in regards to shipping from Audiocubes.

Impressions:

The CS sounds so much better than my old Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 and Govibe V5, which will be finding their way to the FS forum soon. There really is a lot more power and detail with my old phones that I never had.

As for the K701, the first day, the headband seemed foreign, but I'm getting used to it. However I must say that they seem better suited for small heads. The headband seems to max out right where it's on the edge of being uncomfortable. As for the sound, it seems kind of artificial. I can't really describe what's wrong with it. It's very detailed, not as much air/headstage as the K501 (which seems a lot more natural so far, and better sounding though with less detail). The bass seems a bit underplayed and undetailed, and yes there is a bit of sibilance even with good recordings (granted some are old), and yes they are not very forgiving. And yeah, I don't know. The sound really seems "fake" good, rather than "natural" good. But, with all luck, the supposed immense burn-in time needed will get these phones to a place where they need to be.

Can't wait to hear the D2000. Will keep you all posted!

-Keith

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 3
Sounds like fun Keith.
600smile.gif

The K701 I've never heard but I've been a happy CS owner for many months. It does a great job serving as a hub for several sources/amps that I use. I'm trying to fill up all the connections on the back
biggrin.gif
looks like I need more stuff.

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like fun Keith.
600smile.gif

The K701 I've never heard but I've been a happy CS owner for many months. It does a great job serving as a hub for several sources/amps that I use. I'm trying to fill up all the connections on the back
biggrin.gif
looks like I need more stuff.

haha nice - i've got my monitors running out of the back - next up might be a sub or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back