My SVDAC05s arrived today damaged...
Aug 27, 2008 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

decayed.cell

100+ Head-Fier
I recently went ahead about bought two units from wsz0304 off eBay, one for me and another for a friend to drive a JVC HP M1000. As you can see, he has 100% and no neutrals, which is pretty darn good. Alas, my experience with him hasn't been good as of late.

First of all I was messaged on the 19th of August that he had shipped them out (I've left the tracking number there for you guys to look up if you like):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear decayedcell,

Dear Sir, Thanks for you order my product, i have send this item to you by EMS,tracking number is EB099985572CN,please kindly check it after 3 days through ÖйúÓÊÕþ¼¯ÍŹ«Ë¾.

Thanks and best regard.
wang shuzeng

- wsz0304

As you can see, it was actually shipped out on the 23rd. Its not really the fact that it was shipped 5 days later that annoys me, telling me when it was actually shipped out would have been better.

Secondly, I thought I was quoted for DHL shipping, not EMS.

Dear decayedcell,

Dear Sir, Thanks for your message, If you need two units, shipping charge is USD70.00 by DHL express to you,please you are know.
Thanks and best regard.
wang shuzeng

- wsz0304

Then again, in part it was my fault for ordering two SVDAC06 instead of SVDAC05 - to his credit, he left me pay the difference between the two. Furthermore, this was in reply to a question I asked about the Zero DAC that I had originally intended to buy.

The above two aren't really of concern, sure, it might have arrived late and not by DHL, but the packaging was atrocious - there wasn't even a proper EMS mailing box. Apart from the bubble wrap around this very flimsy box there was a black garbage bag like cover over it. Having paid a good 265 USD odd I for one thought it would have have been half decent to at least send a box (all photos taken with my K800i, so they're not the best).

Okay, over to unit 1:

Great I'm going to get some quality audio out of those jacks.

Looks like a normal power button. It also happens to be stuck in the on position.

Apart from that, it does actually work, and theres something loose inside (I can hear it when I pick it up >.>)

Unit 2:

Cosmetic damage. I don't see how that could have occurred given it was in a box, and sitting in some foam type sheet, AND also in a plastic bag.

No issues with the power button, but the volume up/down and option button is warped way out. Hence, when I turn the unit on I can't actually use it because the volume button is permanently on

Anyway I've contacted the seller now for a refund (some of this should be repairable). I'm not really interested in getting sent out another two units which might end up like this.

You've probably been wondering how it sounds by now though haha - I can't actually get KS over USB working into the DAC in foobar, however it does work in 24 Bit mode over DS @ 44.1Khz. To get digital in I need to head off to buy toslink cable to get sweet sweet bit perfect out of my AV-710. The only thing I'm not peeved off about is that the sound of it is begrudgingly good >.>.

Straight out of the box, I find it to be on the bright side, there is increased separation, longer decay on cymbal crashes etc, and a bit more soundstage but it is a bit lacking in terms of bass (I find the FiiO to actually provide more bass in this regard).

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 13
Wow, that's sad.

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfyWolf Von Wolfenstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's sad.

Yeah I'm just unsure as to how the package could have been mashed up that badly
frown.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 13
Sometimes these parcels are opened by Customs etc., and not properly repacked. I ship items to all over the globe, and have had to put up with such issues. Once Customs put back the power supply in such a way that the mains plug pins scratched the case during its onwards journey to the customer. On another occasion they opened a unit to inspect it internally and left out a few screws. The customers blamed me of course, but the cellotape used to reseal the packaging is what gave it away. I didn't own or never used that type of style of cellotape. My taping machine takes a different width.

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 13
I own the SVDAC04-U DAC, I'm sure you'll love the SVDAC05 once you get it working.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Dear decayed,
I've read all your summary and we are extremely sorry about the damage caused during the transportation.Although we packed it carefully and warned the courier man to be especially careful to avoid any collision and squeeze,it still end up with damage.

However,if it is not so annoying,maybe for some part you can have a try --like the warped power,volume up/down and option button ,the loosed board- all these can be improved if you try open the front black glass panel,make some adjustment and re-fix them.

For the other dead unit,we are sorry about this and we will send you a new unit as compensation.Please advise if you need a SVDAC05 or ZERO(upgrade version)?Coz you initially want to buy an Zero.

Once again,we are really very sorry about this unexpected damage and the unpleasure caused to you.For anything you need or any other query about the item,we will do our best to help.
Regards
wang shuzeng,

Aug 27, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes these parcels are opened by Customs etc., and not properly repacked. I ship items to all over the globe, and have had to put up with such issues. Once Customs put back the power supply in such a way that the mains plug pins scratched the case during its onwards journey to the customer. On another occasion they opened a unit to inspect it internally and left out a few screws. The customers blamed me of course, but the cellotape used to reseal the packaging is what gave it away. I didn't own or never used that type of style of cellotape. My taping machine takes a different width.

Yeah I was wondering why it wasn't delivered straight to my door by EMS themselves as they have their own couriers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsz0304 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear decayed,
I've read all your summary and we are extremely sorry about the damage caused during the transportation.Although we packed it carefully and warned the courier man to be especially careful to avoid any collision and squeeze,it still end up with damage.

However,if it is not so annoying,maybe for some part you can have a try --like the warped power,volume up/down and option button ,the loosed board- all these can be improved if you try open the front black glass panel,make some adjustment and re-fix them.

For the other dead unit,we are sorry about this and we will send you a new unit as compensation.Please advise if you need a SVDAC05 or ZERO(upgrade version)?Coz you initially want to buy an Zero.

Once again,we are really very sorry about this unexpected damage and the unpleasure caused to you.For anything you need or any other query about the item,we will do our best to help.
Regards
wang shuzeng,

Okay thank you very much.

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 13
Dear decayed,
We've send out an Zero(upgrade version)to you as required today by DHL .please refer to our ebay message for more detailed information.
Regards
wang shu zeng

Aug 30, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsz0304 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear decayed,
We've send out an Zero(upgrade version)to you as required today by DHL .please refer to our ebay message for more detailed information.
Regards
wang shu zeng

Much appreciated. I will let you guys know when it arrives and probably do some comparisons. I have Audio-GD HDAMs installed in my SVDAC05 and will order some for my replacement Zero
L3000.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 13
Glad to read your new unit is OK!

I've been looking for a comparison between the SVDAC05 and the Zero, when you find the time please do make one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 13
Woohoo, I'd love to see a comparison, I'm in the market and trying to decide between the two myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back