My (Supposedly) Strange Combinations of Music
Sep 20, 2011 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

classicalman114

New Head-Fier
I find myself asking this question a lot: am I the only person out there who adores a group such as Celtic Woman, a singer like Julie Andrews, loads of different classically oriented stuff such as opera, Disney songs, plenty of more feminine music, yet refuses to listen to someone like Frank Sinatra, but loves the hell out of a variety of metal genres (I am slowly getting into more and more underground bands as my taste expands, but I began my metal journey with groups like Slipknot, which I know is not true metal)? I hold a disdain for (almost) anything mainstream pop and/or rap today, with very few exceptions. Most underground rap is brilliant.

I may be very unusual in this respect, because the majority of people I have met who like the first genres and artists I mentioned are also heavily into the mainstream pop and rap scene of today (and the past as well), and I have had someone on the Celtic Woman Forum (which I am a member of) once tell me that it is very rare for someone to like both Celtic Woman and metal. 

I feel the greatest reason why I am such a metalhead is due to the fact that most metal is  highly virtuoustic in its nature (much of it on par with classical music from all the great periods), and its lyrics tend to focus on meaningful topics and are very well written (this is especially true of more underground metal, even deathcore). An exception is a band such as Motely Crue, which I cannot stand one bit.

Of course, I know I'm not the only one, but I would say that the combinations of music I enjoy are quite opposites on both ends of the spectrum of human expression. The one thing they both have in common though is fine musicianship, and that cannot be denied. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 5
What? Strange that you like lots of different genres? That's not strange at all. Miles Davis sits right next to Missy Elliott in my digital library. Mr. Bungle's snuggled up with Muddy Waters. Tool and Tom Waits are the best of friends. Good music is good music.

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Yes, and as Corey Taylor of Slipknot once said, "You dig what you dig."

It would be funny though to see someone like Bernadette Peters conversing with Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse haha. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 5
When you try and keep an open mind about music and give lots of different things a chance, you wind up with lots of strange bedfellows.  I have no qualms admitting my enjoyment of both Enya and Origin, of Venetian Snares and Kings of Convenience, or Big Pun and Chopin. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back