My Stax are dead after 3 weeks of use
Mar 6, 2003 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

fyleow

500+ Head-Fier
So I come home from school all ready to listen to some music. Fire up my Stax Classic 3030 that I JUST bought and guess what? There is some kind of buzzing sound on the left channel. Great, now I have to send it back to Japan to get it fixed...

Anyone experience this problem before?

Mar 7, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 32
Sorry to hear that. Do you have the tube amp? If so, do you have another tube to try before sending it back?
Good luck!

Mar 7, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 32
The Stax 3030 comes with a Solid State amp. I'm not sure if it's the phones or the amp though. Hmm could dust be a problem? I really don't want to send it back to Japan, it's going to cost a fortune

Mar 7, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 32
Man, what a bummer fyleow. I sure hope you can get them repaired and back in good time at a good price. Sorry to hear your dream cans aren't working. If you find out that Yamasinc can do the work, let us know by posting how good of a job they did, how they treated you, turnaround time, etc. That way when someone else has a problem they can either use of ignore this site's offerings.

frown.gif

Mar 7, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 32
I am going to send them back to EIFL for repairs because I am sure as hell not going to pay for repairs on these phones. It's rediculous considering the price I paid and how quickly they broke. Yama's Enterprise here in the U.S. will charge for repairs since I bought from a Japanese authorized dealer instead of US one. I'll have to eat the shipping cost I guess.

The buzzing is not really noticable unless in a dead silent environment but it still bugs me. I keep thinking it's dust or something but hmm...

Mar 7, 2003 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 32
I assume you went through your entire audio chain to make sure it wasn't loose connections? Just a thought if you didn't do that...

I think electrostats are more hardy then we give them credit for as far as dust goes. As long as you aren't using them in a storage room that hasn't been aired out in 10 years, you should be fine. One Headwizer (edstrelow) mentioned having a dust storm blow right into the room his Staxs were in, and they worked just fine afterwards.

On the flip side, I have read that a single speck of dust landing on the diaphragm will blow a hole right through those very expensive diaphragms (I was quoted $700+ to replace those), so you don't want to tempt fate either.
eek.gif

Mar 7, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
I assume you went through your entire audio chain to make sure it wasn't loose connections? Just a thought if you didn't do that...

I think electrostats are more hardy then we give them credit for as far as dust goes. As long as you aren't using them in a storage room that hasn't been aired out in 10 years, you should be fine. One Headwizer (edstrelow) mentioned having a dust storm blow right into the room his Staxs were in, and they worked just fine afterwards.

On the flip side, I have read that a single speck of dust landing on the diaphragm will blow a hole right through those very expensive diaphragms (I was quoted $700+ to replace those), so you don't want to tempt fate either.
eek.gif

I have my phones plugged into the amp and the amp connects to nothing. When I turn it on there is a buzzing on the left channel. The buzzing is the same volume no matter what level the amp is at though hmm... Is it safe to plug in the phones into the "Normal" spot? I know "Pro Only" cannot be used by the old electrostats...

The buzzing is there whether or not it's connected to my Cambridge CDP using outlaw or my jukebox using crappy RCA to mini cables. ONLY the left channel though so I suspect it's something to do with the headphones.

Mar 7, 2003 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by fyleow
ONLY the left channel though so I suspect it's something to do with the headphones.

For everything buzzing I'd blaim the amp. Bummer.

Mar 7, 2003 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Is it safe to plug in the phones into the "Normal" spot? I know "Pro Only" cannot be used by the old electrostats...

Yes, the difference between the Normal and the Pro outputs are in the voltage. IIRC the voltage of the Normal output is exactly half that of the Pro output. Using your SR-303 in the Normal output will not damage them, they will only sound dull and lifeless compared with using the Pro output.

Mar 7, 2003 at 9:56 AM Post #11 of 32
Staxes fragility

I always believed in Staxes fragility: the identical thing occurred to me when I had the same Stax model. First I changed the amp with another, but the problem was (unfortunately) in the headphone, in the left channel. I resolved to change the Stax for the Grado RS-1, better sound, not so fragile.

Nicola

very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 7, 2003 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 32
Hi, fyleow!

Sorry to hear that!
frown.gif

I was looking for 3030 sytem too in near future.

Your problem seems to me like AC hum leakage into signal path of one channel in the amp.

Hope you can have them repaired soon.

your
Moonwalker

Mar 7, 2003 at 11:17 AM Post #13 of 32
fyleow, very sorry to hear about your problem. I know that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomache!
Some possible suggestions;

1. Ask the Japanese retailer for an exchange/refund owing to the premature failure of your phones.
2. Can the retailer troubleshoot the system by email so you don't have to send the whole outfit back?
3. Ask them to ship a new system at the same time you send back the broken one to save on shipping time.
4. As a last resort, ask for a refund of your shipping cost.
5. Surely the Japanese retailer doesn't want bad publicity here!

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 32
I sent EIFL another email asking for some sort of compensation at least for shipping charges. The invoice shows that they paid 8,400 yen to ship it here. $143 dollars, I don't think anyone can resonably expect me to pay that much to repair a product I have HARDLY used.

On another note the problem might be the amp or the headphones right now. When I use the "Normal" jack there is no problem.

Mar 8, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

So I come home from school all ready to listen to some music. Fire up my Stax Classic 3030 that I JUST bought and guess what? There is some kind of buzzing sound on the left channel. Great, now I have to send it back to Japan to get it fixed...

Anyone experience this problem before?

Why didn't you buy from US dealer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back