my sr60's are better than my rs1 !
Feb 28, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Is this true? I thought the RS-1s were designed to be used with bowls, along with the rest of the John Grado series, RS-2s, 325's, 225's, etc. I haven't tried flats with the RS-1s specifically, but I didn't like them with the MS-2s, MS-1s, or RS-2s.

IIRC, sr-80 + up were originally designed w/ the flats. That's why if you visit the gradolabs web page, the phone pics (which are really old) all have flats on.

I'm personally a bowl man, but I still like both pads for difference occasions. uru, if your sr-60s sound superior than your rs1, then you need better ears and a much better setup. Although I stll find it weird, since even through a portable the improvement b/w the lowest and highest grados is noticeable, with the lattter being the preferred.

Feb 28, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
IIRC, sr-80 + up were originally designed w/ the flats. That's why if you visit the gradolabs web page, the phone pics (which are really old) all have flats on.

I'm personally a bowl man, but I still like both pads for difference occasions. uru, if your sr-60s sound superior than your rs1, then you need better ears and a much better setup. Although I stll find it weird, since even through a portable the improvement b/w the lowest and highest grados is noticeable, with the lattter being the preferred.

Yes, you should hear the superiority. You make not like it and prefer the lesser headphones. But you should hear that the RS-1s are better 'audiophile' wise.

Try your SR60 pads on the RS1s. See how that compares.
I'm not saying that they are pads i'd recomment, but it will give you a better and more honest comparison.

Feb 28, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #18 of 32
Cheers for that I'll have a go at the flat pads. I got a note from the helpful goodcans outfit suggesting to try another set in case. Thats what I've done, I had to send them back today or live with them. Once they come back I'll try the flat pads.

The marantz KI sig amp is about 4 years old but for it's price range at the time it got the usual 5 stars, best buys etc and was a $900 amp so it shouldn't be bad. It is a separate not a midi or anything. The CD player also was about $800 and again well rated so it's not this kit.

I agree about the new ears, maybe I'm luckier having the cheap ones, I might save myself £600 in headphones if the £60 ones sound the same (and excellent at that too).

Cheers for your comments

Mike H.

Feb 28, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 32
I'm sure the Marantz is nice, but please don't underestimate the value of headphone amp, particularly for Grados. Headphone outs are often afterthoughts in integrated amps and receivers. I wonder whether the Marantz headphone out can supply enough current for the low impedence Grados.

I think a different amp would do wonders in differtiating the RS-1s and SR-60s.

Flat pads will change the sound, but, based on your description, I don't think the pads are the culprit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uro_who
The marantz KI sig amp is about 4 years old but for it's price range at the time it got the usual 5 stars, best buys etc and was a $900 amp so it shouldn't be bad. It is a separate not a midi or anything. The CD player also was about $800 and again well rated so it's not this kit.

Feb 28, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #21 of 32
Seriously, pads DONT MAKE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE. I had rs-1 an sr60's together for about 6 months and sr60 is definetly the brighter headphone. The rs-1 soundstage is tight and focused while the sr60 soundstage is non-existent. The rs-1 bass is textured and tuneful while it all kind of sounds the same on the sr60's. The midrange hump in the rs-1's is lower then the midrange hump on the sr60's so they each shine with different music. sr60 was the thinner sounding of the two. Its still a pretty incredible headphone for the money. I still own the sr60's but the rs-1's left for some ps-1s.

Biggie.

Feb 28, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I'm sure the Marantz is nice, but please don't underestimate the value of headphone amp, particularly for Grados. Headphone outs are often afterthoughts in integrated amps and receivers. I wonder whether the Marantz headphone out can supply enough current for the low impedence Grados.

I think a different amp would do wonders in differtiating the RS-1s and SR-60s.

Flat pads will change the sound, but, based on your description, I don't think the pads are the culprit.

I second the amp recommendation. I dont know your location, try going to a meet to hear one if you dont want to splurge. Also, if you buy used on the forum, you can probably resell at minimal loss.

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Hate to be clearly an outrageous newbie but are they best paired with the grado or is there something else I should consider?

Mike H

\
In regards to amps, I'd say it depends on what you want. I found the RA1 to be very "fun" with the rs1, but lacking in technical gumbo. Although, I wouldn't pay face value for it, second-hand they are a good deal. Many other amps probably provide better highs, lows, soundstage, etc. There was a recent thread on which amps were good when paired with the RS1. Course, you could try another phone, just to see a different perspective.

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #25 of 32
What's your source? Try a different one. Also, try a different amp. It really can make that much of a difference. Grados like low imp, high current. I suspect acs236 is right. Just try plugging them unamped into the fanciest CD player you have (even if it's a PCDP).

Feb 28, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #26 of 32
I ought to just say that goodcans weren't my supplier. Just answered my questions quicker than anywhere else.

I'm UK based and bought it from an online outfit. They know nothing much about headphone but did arrange a prompt pickup. I simply couldn't afford to buy them from a proper supplier as Grado charge 1.9x the dollar price for UK purchasers.

Interesting that you thought that the sr60's were brighter. My sr60's had much fuller bass and mid range. The bass was definately less controlled than the rs1's however.

Mar 1, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #27 of 32
use an earmax pro headphone amp with your grado rs1
i used this amp with the rs2 and a meridian 588 cdp.

I tell ya what though a sr60 out of a sony dej2000 portable sounds really great too. I wouldnt use the rs1 from a portable or a integrated amps jack,
you wont hear their full potential.

Mar 1, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Cheers for that I'll have a go at the flat pads. I got a note from the helpful goodcans outfit suggesting to try another set in case. Thats what I've done, I had to send them back today or live with them. Once they come back I'll try the flat pads.

I agree about the new ears, maybe I'm luckier having the cheap ones, I might save myself £600 in headphones if the £60 ones sound the same (and excellent at that too).

Cheers for your comments

Mike H.

Hi there,

Welcome to headfi and I am not sorry about your wallet.

I know the marantz amp you have. And while it is a good amp it''s headphone amplification section is woeful. IMO if you invest a small amount in a headphone amp I think you will get the improvements in sound quality and presentation which at the moment you lack.

Use your ears to guage various headphone amps. If your ears like it then that's fine. Don't be afraid to use your judgement to determine the amp of your choice.

Just because What hi-fi says it's a 5 star product winner don't believe it. Use your ears to determine if it is.

I think flat pads and a decent amp will hopefully show you the difference between the sr-60 and RS-1. The Sr-60 is a good headphone for the price and not much can beat it for pound for pound performance. But the RS-1 is in a class of it's own even though it is expensive.

I am also based in the UK. If you need any more help just PM me.

Mar 1, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #29 of 32
Man, your problem is a simple one to correct. It's how the cans are positioned. Take the RS-1's from around your neck and put 'em on your ears. That should do it!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist being a smart butt. No offense intended.

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Take the RS-1's from around your neck and put 'em on your ears.

Or to the original box where they belong.
biggrin.gif

I'd say just be happy with your SR60 and return the RS1 if you think they're not worth the bucks for such improvement. Having said that, I noticed huge underperformance with bowls - at least try to reverse them or swap with sr60 and see if you like the sound better, before ordering another flats. Pads do make huge difference on phones, should be more noticable than differences coming from another amplification (provided similar amp output impedance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back