my sr325i's got fixed...
Jul 29, 2009 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Wiggy Fuzz

100+ Head-Fier
... sort of. a while ago my cable split at the y joint on my sr325i's, so i sent it to my local audio t, and they sent it off to grado.

well, it came back, but they'd replaced it with the sr325is's - i thought they'd replace the cable, but they replaced the whole thing.

totally wasn't expecting that, but the pizza box was there, and a set of brand new silver buttoned headphone cups were smiling at me. to be honest i was kinda hoping to have my original gold ones repaired.

and it's got the thickest cable i've seen on a pair of headphones - the thickness of the left and right cables alone are as chunky as the old one's main cable, and it has a much meatier y joint. but they're crimped it again for some reason (don't know why they just can't have them un crimped), so i'm naturally worried they might split again (though they are crimped on every headphone, and my sr80's are still going strong).

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 8
wow lucky you! i prefer the gold cups too, they are more special. the new cable isn't that bad once you get used to it. i think i like it better than the old one now.
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 8
maybe you can tell us if they sound better than your sr325i :p

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 8
That's weird. Maybe the cost of simply sending you a new pair of cans was less than the labour + parts required to recable it.

Still, we're hearing lots of strange tales from Grado repairs, recablings that use SR60i cables etc. Maybe I'll think twice about sending them in if my 325i goldies ever need repair.

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm not surprised: Companies usually like to send new ones instead of repairing them. Less labor when you think about it.

Just imagine MANY people like you having this problem. Grado would be overwhelmed. This happened with my Creative Zen too. Sometimes they even have marks on them saying it was a return product.

My guess is, you gave them your headphones, Grado sent it to their refurb center (if they have one) to gain more money.

Glad you're happy. I like the gold chrome too.
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 8
come to think of it, Shure's warranty service does the exact same thing.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's suprising because one user sent his Grado SR325i's off to Grado, and they replaced it with the same cable but with the 1/8"...

i've always heard grado repair stories along the lines of "they'll repair the broken part", and it honestly shouldn't be hard to just switch the drivers and keep my gold cups, either.

anyway, anything i can do to help stop the cable from splitting again? even though the cable is much thicker, i can still see the cups trying to twist themselves.

EDIT: man, still cannot get round how thick this cable is. it's a friggin hose pipe, this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back