my SR-71 is really starting to warm up (soundwise)
May 30, 2005 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
I have recently noticed that my SR-71 is pretty warm neutrality wise. I actually think i prefer my MS-1's out of my ipod, because (they are woodied, which warms up their sound a bit already) out of the SR-71 they sound dark and distant and the vocals are really hushed a bit, similar to the Sennheiser sound, though the soundstage, seperation and bass is really incredible.

Is this amp finally burning in, and I am now discovering that I dont like it's final, burnt in sound? Or have my tastes evolved?

Would a Headroom Supreme be a good alternative if a want a really neutral amp, but dont need much portability?

Thanks,
Whitney
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 6
Perhaps you should consider a higher-end source first, before you write the sr-71 off. But, I've never tried woodied ms1s, so I dunno how they synergize. If you're gonna get another amp, perhaps the gilmore lite at $300?

May 31, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 6
Wow, that's not good.

Fortunately the SR-71 retains a lot of its resale value.

I'd look at Xin's or Headroom's offerings...both have return policies, I believe.

You could order from them and compare to the SR-71...keep the one you like most.

-Matt

May 31, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
Is this amp finally burning in, and I am now discovering that I dont like it's final, burnt in sound? Or have my tastes evolved?

Could be either, the SR-71 is a warm amplifer, that's one of it's strong points. It might be that you've finally gotten to the point where that is really becoming noticeable. You might also try a Gilmore GS-1, if you don't need portability, they are pretty neutral.

May 31, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 6
I'll definitely check out all of Headroom's stuff at the San Jose meet then.

Has anyone else noticed a warming of this amp during burn in?

Or if anyone has any non-headroom amp recomends, that would be cool
cool.gif
I would like an amp that matches the SR-71 in detail and soundstage, but is more neutral. I definitely dont want something harsh, or aggresive though. Somewhere in between the grado and sennheiser type sound signatures...

Thanks for the help
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Wow, that's not good.

Fortunately the SR-71 retains a lot of its resale value.

I'd look at Xin's or Headroom's offerings...both have return policies, I believe.

You could order from them and compare to the SR-71...keep the one you like most.

-Matt

icon10.gif
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back