My Speaker System.
Mar 30, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Chris,

I should have known you'd already be a step ahead on positioning. My speakers are about 10' away in my HT system, and they're toed-in about 15 degrees to get the soundstage just right. With a two seater couch in front of the right speaker it will never be perfect, but I can live with how it sounds now.

This may be correct for your place. But i've found my ATC's have a very wide dispersion and toe-in is totally unnecessary, not needed at all. And yet (for psychological reasons?!!!) I toe-in just a bit.

BTW it's been roughly 3 months of ownership and I love them.

Mar 30, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #17 of 29
eyeteeth,

My concern for Hajime is the proximity to the side walls. The sound could come across kinda weird soundstage wise if the speakers aren't toed-in a little. As you stated this might be totally unnecessary, but it's worth trying to see if he can improve upon the imaging and soundstage.

Mar 30, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
eyeteeth,

My concern for Hajime is the proximity to the side walls. The sound could come across kinda weird soundstage wise if the speakers aren't toed-in a little. As you stated this might be totally unnecessary, but it's worth trying to see if he can improve upon the imaging and soundstage.

Absolutely. Every room is different. I was just pointing out the ATC's probably need less toe-in than most other speakers.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #19 of 29
Eyeteeth,

That's cool. Whenever I see speakers that close to side walls my first thought it to toe them in a bit. In his case he can't move them any further from the walls, so toeing them in is his only option.

May 29, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #20 of 29
=i didnt read the other posts so maybe you addressed this issue.

I think your speakers are too close to the wall.

try to visualize the sound waves.

i suggest you keep moving around those cinderblocks a few inches at a time, until you find the right spot. (j/k)

I too use 'blocks, but under my source.

heh

sean

May 29, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #21 of 29
Sean,

My room is fairly small so I can't move the speakers much more than I already have. It doesn't show in the pictures but they are actually around two feet away from the wall. If I pushed the other side over as far as I could I may be able to get another foot in.
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #22 of 29
speaker/wall distance is almost always a comprimise

close-more bass

far-better imaging

it is up to the end use to decide what their personal happy medium is

the good news is you can "fool' a speaker into thinking it is somewhere else with selective acoustic treatment

I have in my life made some very NASTY rooms (cube shaped with a hallway going off is the worst) sound reasonable with the application of frequency selective panels/diffusors/traps

you might want to look into it then find a cheap DIY alternative

May 29, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #23 of 29
With that small a room, I'd guess Hajime's sitting in the nearfield half the time anyway.

May 29, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #25 of 29
Can you stay in the sweetspot in both positions? Maybe it doesn't matter so much when you're in bed
tongue.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #27 of 29
rickcr42 well MY bed does have a sweet spot

my wife !

oh my. I thought this was a discussion about speakers.
confused.gif

Jul 5, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #29 of 29
thats funny,

must have been a good tyme hauling 20 cinder blocks.

i thought you were gonna stack em like this

_
|
-
_

i guess its all the same.

might i suggest going to wall mart and getting some cork pad. you will probbly have the worlds best speaker stands.

assuming you dont end up geting the mags...

later

spwal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back