My Soundmagic PL50s broke :(
Mar 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LukeV

Head-Fier
The other day I went to put on my soundmagic pl50s and they weren't putting out any sound. At first I thought it was something wrong with the headphones jack on my iphone cause I couldn't understand how the earphones broke as I've always taken care of them, but when I moved the wire around the earphones they started to put out some sound. So the problem is with the wire.

Is there any way I can fix this easily? If not then I guess I'm in the market for a new set of earphones. I really liked the fit of the pl50s but to be honest, with regards to sound quality I didn't notice much difference between them and the much cheaper jvc marshmallows I had before them.

So any recommendations for what I can do to fix them or alternatively what I should buy next?

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Why don't you contact SoundMagic and inquire about a return? Your phones may be out of warranty, but they may still work with you on an exchange.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 11
Actually, it just hit me. I think they are still under warranty. Is the date on the piece of paper when the warranty is due or the date from which the warranty starts? I bought these headphones in 09 if I'm not mistaken.

That's the only paper related to warranty I found. Not sure what to do with it? How do I get a replacement?

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 11
I got them from dealperfect.com. I think they are dealers of soundmagic products. There site isn't loading for me at the moment though :/

What's the best way to describe the condition of the earphones?

"Not working and some sound comes out when I move the cable" seems a bit rough.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 11
Hmm well I'm the only one that uses these earphones and I don't ever remember tugging them or what not, so much so that I considered a broken headphones jack before the broken earphones. Also the cable still seems to be securely attached to the earphones so seems to me like it was something purely internal. Anyways I will see how it goes when I contact dealperfect, that is, if there site is ever going to come back up :/

Does anyone know anything about them? They didn't close or anything did they?

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 11
I think it's just a server issue. I'm sure it will be back up. They've been around for a while. Good luck.

Stuff happens and I do some HiFi service. If it's at the ears, both sides wont break at the same time without help and the wire can easily break connection without showing on the jacket. I lost the driver on one of mine but they're modded so not trying to warranty. Hope they help with yours.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 11
The PL50 model has not even been around for a year so your phones should definitely still be covered by the warranty.

Now the bad news: dealperfect closed up shop around september due to losing their paypal account because of illegal merchandise. They moved to a new site, of which I forgot the name. However, soundmagic has a rep here on head-fi, Michael Lin whom you may want to contact directly. PM should work but he also has his email listed in his signature. Lastly, you can try going through Soundmagic's site, though I don't know how much English-language help you will receive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back