My Sound Card SUX - What to do?
Jun 10, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #16 of 27
you can get the Chaintech AV-710 from Secret Net a NSW Store for dirt cheap
smily_headphones1.gif
but you will need an amp to use the higher quality Wolfson DAC from what I hear.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #17 of 27
Jun 10, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #18 of 27
how does the live24bit compare to the Audigy 2? I'm using the latter one right now but have a live24bit lying around....

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #19 of 27
Hey cool! Places in Australia! I will definitely keep those places in mind.

I'm still tossing up as to whether I should get an Alien DAC kit though. If my phones are sensitive enough it should drive them OK right? If it won't drive the phones as well as the sound card, would it still be alright? I listen to my music on a pretty low volume as a rule, but I would hate for the balance to be out or something due to poor driving, and I really can't afford to buy the DAC and an amp (and the phones), even a cmoy, right now.

Jun 12, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #23 of 27
I just read a bit on that one, and it seems some people are less than happy with the analogue out. If that's a real concern then it's out for me, since that's all I'd be using. I'd just have USB in and headphone out. No other DAC, no amp. But I would be using Equation Audio RP-21 phones, which are very sensitive, and I do listen at low levels, so maybe it would be alright for me, and, well, if I really get bitten hard and go out and buy a DAC/amp later, then this thing would feed it well.

But what's the word on that analogue out?

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #24 of 27
Anyone with the AV-710, what chance is there that I will still have interference? I get all the noise from hard drive etc (including mouse movements) and I don't want that!

So how would the av-710 compare to the Trends UD-10 or the Alien DAC? How do they compare to each other?

All I want to do is have one thing that is either in my PC or next to it, which I can plug my headphones into. And I want it to sound good. And I want it to be cheap.

I forgot I had a birthday coming up next week (!!) so I could throw some more money towards this - up to say $150 max, but that would have to include shipping to Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back