My Sony MDR-XD400's came in!!
Sep 4, 2005 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

South_Korean

1000+ Head-Fier
initial thoughts: very big compared to my HD212 pros (i missed the circum-aural design). the top portion of the heaband looks like the AKG K100's when worn. pads are much bigger than the HD212's. the cups design are very appealing to me. the look is like a black laquer finish with chromed rims. the cord is LOOOOOOOOOOOONG. OMG this thing is long enough to strangle a whale and the fabric covering is nice. very fancy looking. the build quality is fair enough. definitley sturdier looking than the 212's. i will talk about SQ later on as i test them and compare some more.

Sep 4, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 21
Congrats buddy!
biggrin.gif
Time for a sig change methinks!
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 21
haha yeah AND OMG OMG OMG only 2 songs heard so far and aaaah this thing DESTROYS my 212's!!! vocals are soo much better. when bass boosted, there is soo much bass it makes me light headed!! because the pads are so huge the vibrations are stronger than on my 212's. omg i love these things soooo much. the movie switch doesnt make a drastic change in bass though. as people said, it makes it bloated. either mode it sounds soooooo good.

only complaints thus far: creeky when you clench your jaw or something. the cover on the cord is NOT attached to the cup. this means that if you move your cord around, you cant hear its movement in the cup but when listening to music you wont hear it.

oh man...... im just close to tears. i mean i know these dont look or most likely sound as good as some of you more professional set-ups but man, compared to anyhting ive owned.... this thing owns them. form my previous post about missing the sound of my eggos, i take that back. this is just amazing. i cant say it enough (although ill control myself to stop). the bass is sooo much more controlled than the 212's but the quantity is still there. ITS A COMBINATION OF MY FAV HEADPHONES!! W00T1!! when bass is switched off and listend to with flats EQ its just amazing detail. when switch is on, the 212 attributes shine through. the SHEER bass is so overwhelming, especially since its circum-aural. it just takes you over. oh man, i feel that my upgraditus for headphones has ended. although im still in need for a portable player (an i think im getting into the PCDP thing).

to be honest, they dont look too rediculous. as i said, K100 headband look when worn, then two cups on the side. nothgin strange about it. unless theres something wrong with me. man, this feeling is like a high for. as if im having a sugar rush.

if ANY of you are interested in buying new headphones with the same needs as me, mark my words, i will be somewhere in your thread talking about these headphones. maybe ill mention it more than once
biggrin.gif

hmmm, these even sound nice with classical. i have to say not as well produced as the eggos but good enough for me. i wonder how these would sound with a simple Cmoy? i need money!

more on SQ: i could call these groovalizers as these get me moving unlike the 212's. the highs are just perfect for me. not to forward, not too laid back. mids are also better than the 212's. vocals sound so clear and it feels like im at the concert when listening to live music. as i listen to yo yo ma, i feel as if the sound makes me feel as if im somewhere around 5-7 rows back. sometimes maybe even on a close balcony.
with Mile Davis, i feel as if in a jazz club id be around 2-3 tables back?
T.I.-I'm a king: wow, with bass boost and the switches on to movie setting its just sometimes TOO much bass lol. ive never had that feeling before.
ah i dont know, its just the sound presentation is so much more, just, "wider" than the 212's.

anyways, you can tell im excited
wink.gif
., and i am! finally, a purchase that i am happy about. i always seem to buy something and regret it but i dont feel that pang of guilt or sadness now. its a good feeling.

I recommend these to any basshead like me, to people who want an inbetween of laid-back and forward sound, and want a cool circum-aural design.

(sorry no pics! no camera in the list of stuff that i own)

Pics from soupy's previous review: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=xd300

Sep 4, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
with Mile Davis, i feel as if in a jazz club id be around 2-3 tables back?

congratulations on your new cans. I remember how great it was when I got my first decent set of phones. I was enthralled for days, couldnt pull me away from my music. Then I began doing drugs and it got even better. Today I still enjoy the headphones

Sep 4, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 21
More stuff: compared to my 212's, the sound is much much fuller. it makes the sound of my sens almost "timid". im listening to the ending track of the gundam Seed series and for crazy fast pace music it follows well and im not yearning for more in the sound. my sister laughs at me everytime i put these on, but i dont care, my family is the only that sees me wearing these
580smile.gif
. instrumentals in the songs are just beautiful. very clear and blend right with the vocals.

i have a question; I dont know if its just a coincidence but, do all headphones have crazy heavy bass when bass boosted? not saying my eggos did that but i dont know if i can put them in the same league as my new sonys and senns.

anyways, isolation: my parents are gona have a harder time calling me down to dinner than with my senns now. at average volumes i cant hear myself typing or hear the LOUD fans in my computer. the only thing i can hear is the music.
now listening to: Gwen Stefani- Cool: wow, she sounds like her singing improved lol. or maybe its the headphones? yep its the headphones. i never actually thought it was possible to have everything in one headphone. i always thought that, one or two things can be really nice about them and than the rest arent up to par.

another test: The Neptunes- Lapdance (instrumentals): i dont really know but its almost as if im in a room with a like a 4.2 surround sound system. 4 speakers for every corner and 2 subs, one on each side
basshead.gif
blink.gif
. same thoughts as other tests, very clear sound, not too forward ot or laidback. bass impact is good even with the movie switches off and EQ at flat. i really feel the snare.

impressions all based on tracks at 128-256kps files.

For people who like to hang their phones from their necks, id suggest not doing that with these, really uncomfortable, and awkward.

Sep 4, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
congratulations on your new cans. I remember how great it was when I got my first decent set of phones. I was enthralled for days, couldnt pull me away from my music. Then I began doing drugs and it got even better. Today I still enjoy the headphones

joking?
blink.gif
. lol yeah i think my parents wont hear the end of it when ever i bring up the subject of "my new headphones are so great,"

Sep 4, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 21
oh i did, but the original was a live CD but even though it was, the presentation was amazing. sound satge was so much bigger than my 212's and the sound was just very clear. on my senns though, it was veiled as usual, and congested. with the 128kps files, you could definitely hear some difference but as huge as people say. remember these aret the half way high end headphones anyways so i shouldnt have to worry.

New finds: i found what the creeking was! on the left mechanism that adjusts the fitting of the phones, the metal rubs against the plastic. funny though cause it doesnt affect the right side. ill lube it up
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 21
thanks man! and yeah, reading all the reviews (well some) of the V series or all the MDR's in general, these were very satisfaying.

more tracks tested:

dirt off your shoulder- Jay-Z: the bass is more controlled and defined. even though it does over power the rest of the music its still so clear. makes the pads vibrate hard
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

(I cant imagine how fast these drivers must be moving to do all this, especially being 50mm drivers)

Tierra Marie- How to make a girl feel: the bass on this song i give it 3 out of 5. for some reason it cant handle the exagerrated bass form the bass drum. it comes out more controlled but its thrown out like smoother mud rather than just mud from 212's. although i appreciate it more since its not just one note comming out.

Michael Jackson- Thriller: wow, even at 128kps it sounds so amazing. the bass part of the music is consistent and not muddy at all. the kick drum is punchier than the 212's. and the mid bass doesnt over power it and make it dissapear. michaels voice couldnt be clearer.

Nas- I know i can: the kick drum is the strongest ive heard in a song yet. even on flat EQ it come out too strong and distorts badly at some parts. i bass boosted anyways and wow, the controlled bass! i think ive heard the kick drum for the first time. instead of distortion or flabby uncontrolled bass.

Petey Pablo- feek-a-leek: mmm meh, still distorts like my 212's but not as bad. the vocals are actually clearer and now i can understand what they are saying in the song. so the vocals arent too good butt he bass is pumping hard.

The Game- southside (instrumentals): at the start, the bass come in all at the same time and just explodes. my 212's begin fabbly and uncontrolled then start to clear up. the sonys seem to catch it can control itt from beginning to the end. the instruments sort of came out like the free-a-leek song but more clearer.

Above are reviews with movie switches on + bass boost. yea i know
basshead.gif

but with the switch off + bass boost it became MORE clearer and controlled than before. its like 2 bass levels. and when the bass boost is off + switch off, id say its awesome for classical/jazz. i love it.

i feel the cup vibrating haha.

p.s. BTW LTUCCI1924, how many headphones have you gone through so far? just curious as every here say you have been through quite a few.

Sep 4, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 21
South_Korean
How many headphones have I gone through? I lost count a long time ago. LOL. My new GRADO 225 are my 6 ones so I have bought several more than once like 3 SONY CD 3000. Its been lots of fun changing from week to week or so. Now this is over 3 1/2 years being here.

Sep 4, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #12 of 21
While I'm sure my XD200's are no where near the sound of the XD400's I gotta say I love the sound of the XD200's. For thirty bucks, I'm sure they're the best Sony headphones I can buy in that price range. Definitely sound much clearer than the V series (although I've only heard the v150 and v250). I know that Sony has the XD100 for twenty bucks..but I figured I'd pay the extra ten dollars for the Neodymium magnets. I heard these sound much better than the XD100's and are definitely worth the price.

It's strange because when I listen to these on my Panasonic stereo (SC-PM19) I find I like to listen to them with the equalizer off..so it's more neutral sounding. I find it still has enough bass to meet my tastes and still sounds very clear. Definitely the best thirty bucks I've spent on headphones. I think they sound pretty decent with all kinds of music. Just my two cents on a lower model version.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
South_Korean
How many headphones have I gone through? I lost count a long time ago. LOL. My new GRADO 225 are my 6 ones so I have bought several more than once like 3 SONY CD 3000. Its been lots of fun changing from week to week or so. Now this is over 3 1/2 years being here.

haha youre lucky to be able to do that. if i had the money and the power to do what i wanted id follow your path
biggrin.gif

hmmm, as i look over this thread, my review looks severely unorganized
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 21
does anybody have problems with their wing system headbands and related mechanisms? like the creeky noise. how do you fix/deal with it?

Sep 5, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 21
All my Sony's have creeked at first, but the noise was short lived after some break-in. Give them some time to loosen up.

Hey SK, the headphones interest me. Do they sound fine straight out of your portable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back