My Sony HD5 Impressiions
Aug 3, 2005 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

HeadKase

100+ Head-Fier
First - my BIG disclaimer: This is my first MP3 player I've ever owned. That said, I consider myself an audio fiend (my main system is worth about $25K), and I spent quite a bit of time researching before I bought.

I ordered the red model from B&H (mostly so it can be distingued at a glance from my other silver hand held items) and have been playing with it for two days now.

My order of preferences were/are:

1) Sound Quality
2) Ease of Operation
3) Durability
4) Battery Life
5) Ergonomics

I decided to go with the Sony based on the following touted differences with the IPOD:

1) Better sound quality
2) Changable Battery
3) Much longer lasting Battery (40 hours vs 15)

Sound Quality
----------
Overall, I'm all about sound quality so this was my first concern. I downloaded one disc using ATRAC Plus 64K and it sounded amazingly better than any MP3 I've ever heard. But when I downloaded the next disc with 256K, there just seemed to more air and refinement in the sound. This takes many more times the room to store, but again to sound quality fiends its a small price to pay.

I quickly discarded the phones that came with them for the more comfortable (I hate in ear phones) and largely better sounding Sennheiser portable (something 100's). I've also listened to them through my big Sony V1000's.

So what can I say about the sound quality? Marvelous in a word. People were staring at me driving in my new Mercedes M Class wearing walkman phones. Once I got used to the sound, I just couldn't bring myself to listen to the Bose system in the Benz - I just kept the phones on it was so addictive. (People must have been thinking "Look at that dumbass, he drives an expensive Mercedes but didn't bother to put in a CD player")

So far very addictive sound and I haven't played with the EQ yet. There might be complaints about it being bass shy without EQ from some, but to me the whole presentation sounds very natural and airy.

This is not compared to an Ipod BTW since I've never heard an Ipod.

Ease of Operation
---------------
Again, big disclaimer not owning an MP3 player before. As far as navigation goes, I couldn't imagine better (though I know this is where IPOD shines). Pick Artist, Genre, Track, scroll through the list and pick. Very simple. Being new to all this, all I can say is "Damn this is cool".

The big complaint everyone has is the SonicStage software. Again, I guess ignorance is bliss, but I've easily downloaded 15 discs to the HD5, and it's been quite intuitive to use. I even bought a few $1 tracks online and they went on without a hitch. From what I hear there's better and faster out there, but this has worked pretty effortlessly for me so far. No computer crashes at all (though maybe the 1 GB of RAM on the computer helps).

Looks
-----
Obviously this is a nifty looking piece of machinery, but I WAS surprised at how cheesy the button graphics look. Most probably won't notice, but geez the > that is on 4 of the buttons looks like a pixelated cursor from an old Commodore 64. Still they're unobtrusive enough not to be noticed from the causual viewer.

Build Quality
--------
It feels very weighty and solid (though not heavy). And I've already dropped it about 4 feet without incident. The only thing that concerns me is the unsturdy feeling latch that holds on the panel that hides the USB connection. This is the same kind of unsturdy panel that has concerned me with both digital cameras and camcorders, though to be honest, none of those have ever broken on me. And even without it, it shouldn't cripple the player.

A bigger concern is a few people (mostly with the HD3) that have reported having their harddrive fail on them. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

Battery Life
--------
This is a solid winner for battery life. I charged it for a couple hours yesterday, and have uploaded to it several times, played it for probably 6 hours or more, and judging from the battery full display it looks like I've used about 10% of the life. Having the easy to remove and replace battery will keep this unit from eventually losing functionality as the IPODs do.

Overall
------
The usual disclaimer, but this has got to be the coolest gadget I've owned in quite some time. The sound quality which is all important to me is very impressive (thank goodness). Even though it doesn't make sense to me, this thing blows away any portable CD player I've ever used soundwise - I'll leave that for someone else to explain. Suffice to say the sound surpassed my expectations, and I'm now addicted to the sound of this thing (with decent cans and the least amount of compression). But heck, 15 discs and just over 2 gigabites used? I'll take the sound quality improvement however marginal it might be.

The battery life and swappability is another huge plus that makes this so much more pleasureful to use. Who wants to put on the phones only to find the battery's almost dead with hours of charging time ahead?

I also love the ease of use and navigation. The unit also feels very solid, but the jury is still out on how long this will last. If the answer is a long time, honestly I don't know what else I could ask of this player.

Highly highly recommend!
eggosmile.gif

Aug 4, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 28
Hmm, no replies - are the Sony's out of favor on this board? One bit of update, I've played some with the EQ and various settings. The bass can be copius and the sound easily changed rather dramatically. Overall I still prefer the flat setting, but also other EQ settings for pop/electronic etc music or thin recordings.

Been listening constantly and still love this thing. Any other HD5 users out there?

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadKase
Hmm, no replies - are the Sony's out of favor on this board? One bit of update, I've played some with the EQ and various settings. The bass can be copius and the sound easily changed rather dramatically. Overall I still prefer the flat setting, but also other EQ settings for pop/electronic etc music or thin recordings.

Been listening constantly and still love this thing. Any other HD5 users out there?

I don't have the HD5s, but I will comment that they are too small. I don't understand how everything fits into that package.

If you haven't already, you should consider getting a pair of really nice canalphones to go with your Sony.
etysmile.gif

Aug 5, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 28
HeadKase, maybe you can save some space by ripping CDs to Atrac at 192kbps (you'll need the new SonicStage 3.2; make sure you deselect the copy protection option). I don't have the HD5, but I know that bitrate works, and some people say it's difficult to distinguish it from 256.

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 28
I have the HD5 and love it as well, and I don't mind the button graphics (though the latch does feel weak). I got tired of SonicStage for transferring mp3s (though I still use it for ATRAC files) and instead use a different Sony program.

http://www.syndetics.net/sony-hacks/sonicstage.html

It's worked wonderful for me, so very very easy, but unfortunately it doesn't transfer ATRAC files as well, can't have everything I guess.

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 28
I'm thinking of getting one myself before I return to university. I am going to get a black one to make it stand out from the herd of white and silver sheep. hehe.

Is it not possible to get around and enable manual EQ for mp3 files as well? I really dont want to convert any of my files to atrac but I do want the 5 band EQ. I am the kind of guy who constantly fiddles with the EQ while listening to music. I really dont see any reason why it should be locked from mp3 files except to give a false impression that atrac files are superior than mp3.

Hopefully Sony will release a firmware update to unlock that feature.

Aug 5, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 28
I believe it wasn't so much a feature that they "locked" as it was a hard design issue because of the way the music was processed and the EQ applied.

I don't know
wink.gif
Perhaps..

Aug 7, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestrel
I believe it wasn't so much a feature that they "locked" as it was a hard design issue because of the way the music was processed and the EQ applied.

I don't know
wink.gif
Perhaps..

that is certainly not a design issue, because sony allows their EQ to work on mp3 in hiMD units. why they do not let it work on their HD players, thats a mystery, but certainly not because of some compatibility issue, since their hiMD units can have the custom EQ applied.
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
that is certainly not a design issue, because sony allows their EQ to work on mp3 in hiMD units. why they do not let it work on their HD players, thats a mystery, but certainly not because of some compatibility issue, since their hiMD units can have the custom EQ applied.
wink.gif

Very interesting...
orphsmile.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 28
well, sony is a company that is known for it's wierd decisions, especially when it comes to music and audio players :)

i doubt it they'll allow this option in a future firmware update (i actually doubt they'll ever release a new firmware update :))...
but i do hope they do (not for myself, since i don't plan on buying any more sony's [not that i hard bad experiance it's just that i want diffrent players :)])

Aug 7, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 28
Of course it's a design issue. They designed the HD1 a certain way because it was to be ATRAC only. They just don't want to spend enough on a total redesign inside and out that will fix the problem. Either that($) or they want to "discourage" MP3 and help promote the ATRAC format. Remember that there have been more than a few threads devoted to MP3's not sounding so great on the latest Hi-MD recorders. They reluctantly gave in to MP3 so it is not totally unbelievable that their neglecting fixing the EQ on purpose.

In the end, it will really only discourage people from buying their players.

Aug 8, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 28
You know it's kind of weird, I just got an hd3 on amazon for 200 beans shipped, and it sounds exactly like the hd5. I am assuming they share the same chipset ? I guess I will return my hd5 (thank you sears!) and save some green.

Anyway as far as the eq settings , I took the hd3 apart (real easy to do
eggosmile.gif
) and the guts look just like my mz eh930 md player( also real easy to take apart). Seems like the same sanyo cpu and the same sony "HD" LOL digital amp. That would also explain the long battery life, as the digital amps are supposed to use less power, bla bla bla.

So, it seems for sonys hd players are really minidisc guts with a hd instead of the optical media, That explains a lot about the sound. I wish I knew more about firmware , since my eh 930 can user eq "mp3s" I'm pretty sure the hd5, hd3 can too.

If I get motivated, maybe I will post some pics of the "guts" of the units- if anybody cares to see them.

Oh , and I really enjoy taking stuff apart way to much , I think I missed my calling !
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 28
The only thing holding me back from purchasing it is the fact that I'm not a fan of the buttons and there might be a HD-6 which is released soon that I'd really want. Thanks for the impressions though, excellent review.

Aug 10, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #15 of 28
HD5 too small? I totally disagree. It's about the size of a cigarette pack but much thinner. This makes it totally ideal for just slipping it in your front pocket while you're playing it. Can't imagine why you'd want it larger.

Interesting the way they've totally oriented this thing to ATRAC. I don't mind this, since I like the sound quality I'm getting. In fact, I think the reason I like the sound so much is that "digital glare" I get from CD's (even in my pricey home setup) seems minimized or missing using ATRAC. Almost like the digital glare gets taken out in the compression process. Nice.

One other thing I've discovered is that the battery life is nowhere near 40 hours when you're using 256K ATRAC (as the manual mentions). I tend to get closer to 16 hours with my 256K files.

Does the IPOD work this way also on uncompressed or less compressed files? And unfortunately yes I can tell the different between 192K and 256K. 192K is pretty darned good, but 256K is better. Drats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back