My songs are disappearing!
Feb 27, 2008 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

VolkswagenFox

100+ Head-Fier
I have quite an odd problem with a 3rd generation iPod I have. I put songs on the iPod, and after about 2 hours or more, some songs start to skip until no songs are playable anymore. When I connect the iPod to the computer all the songs are gone.
confused.gif
When I restore the iPod with iTunes, I can put songs on it again, and they play, until about 2 hours of use and I have the same problem again. I tried restoring the iPod with my Mac (so the drive is Mac formatted, instead of Windows) which seems to make the iPod play longer, but the same thing happens eventually. The harddrive also passes the iPod's internal harddrive test.
confused.gif
I know that it is harddrive problem though, as I put it into another 3rd gen iPod I have, and the same thing happens. It's just odd that no matter how many songs there are on it, it will play everything, just eventually it won't anymore, and after restoring it, it becomes fully functional again. I've been using this iPod like this for 3 or 4 months now, I'm actually using it right now.
biggrin.gif
Is there anything I could do to make it work? It's not really important that I get it working, as I have Nano and 5g iPod, but I'd be nice to get this one working as well.
biggrin.gif
Anyway, sorry for the novel.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #2 of 4
Have you tried just holding down the menu and middle button to reset it when this starts to happen? If not I'd try that when the problem occures. It might not stop it but it would make it more easy to fix. I'd think you might have to buy a new ipod if the problem keeps occuring. You could always try bringing it into an apple store as well. They might be able to help.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 4
Resetting doesn't help. It's the opposite, actually. If reset the iPod, while it's working, all songs are gone after it boots back up again. I'm not going to spend any money on it though, I already have two other (working) iPods I'm using.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 4
That's pretty strange I've never heard of that happening to anyone. I would check with apple, you never know. My friend went down a while ago with a couple days left on his warentee with his ipod that had been left in a friends car for a week in the winter that was not working what so ever, talked to a guy and expected it to be sent away or something but the guy just grabbed a brand new ipod to replace it. I'm guessing you don't still have a warentee on the 3rd generation one though. Still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back