My son joined Head-Fi.
Dec 12, 2004 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

comabereni

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

My 15-year old son joined Head-Fi a couple days ago. He's a really great kid who is enthusiastic about all things musical (being a violin player) and electronic (huge PC fanatic). I generally keep pretty tight reigns on Internet privileges with my kids to keep them on track at school, etc., but I've found this to be such a great place to learn, make friends, and spend an occasional few hours browsing and reading, that I recommended he join also. He was really excited about it, almost like I'd given him a precious gift or something
tongue.gif
. It made me smile.

I just thought it would be nice if perhaps a few of you could send him a PM saying you're glad to have him here. He goes by "ad_boy".

Thanks,

-coma

Dec 12, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 21
Trust me, I thought about that for a long time before making the decision. He has his starter set of headphones from me (Koss KTXPro's)--the next set is on him. As for amps, I'm giving (making) all my kids RA-1 clones. Not too much damage to the wallet going that route. The Dynahi's come later...
wink.gif

I have noticed these forums stays pretty well on track--not a lot of misinformation or bad behavior, comparatively speaking. What better way to learn about things that interest you while honing your communications and writing skills?

I DID tell him to stay out of the member's lounge as things sometimes get a little wacky in here, but I will be sure to point him to the welcome thread.

Thanks!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 21
Actually, I think it would be pretty cool if my son, in about 3 years became interested. He's in to music and has been taking drum lessons. I have him set up with his itunes > Griffen Powerwave > to my very old Infinity speakers. He has not shown any interest in any of my headphones yet but does use EX-71's with his mini ipod, so I guess there is hope.

By the way, you think it's cold by you, it was 50 degreees this morning when I was walking the dogs, brrrr.

Dec 12, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
By the way, you think it's cold by you, it was 50 degreees this morning when I was walking the dogs, brrrr.

I didn't PM you last week when it was around 16-degrees for several days on my usual morning run. Thank goodness it's back up to 32 this morning
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 21
It is great that you and your son share an interest. I gave mine a pair of PX-200's and he was pleased although I think he wanted to cart away more of my stuff.

Dec 12, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
It is great that you and your son share an interest. I gave mine a pair of PX-200's and he was pleased although I think he wanted to cart away more of my stuff.

My oldest son and I share many of the same interests-- music, running, astronomy (he's so good with a star map, I almost always drag him along just so he can find stuff for me to look at
smily_headphones1.gif
), engineering, PC's, arcade games (especially flight sims), woodworking, and now headphones. I think he would agree that we have a really great relationship. As part of this Head-Fi deal, I agreed to let him borrow my stuff more so he can ask better questions and make more informed comments. I told him to save his $$ for better quality headphones (to go with the Dynahi I plan to build for him, that he doesn't know about yet).

-coma

Dec 12, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
My oldest son and I share many of the same interests-- music, running, astronomy (he's so good with a star map, I almost always drag him along just so he can find stuff for me to look at
smily_headphones1.gif
), engineering, PC's, arcade games (especially flight sims), woodworking, and now headphones. I think he would agree that we have a really great relationship. As part of this Head-Fi deal, I agreed to let him borrow my stuff more so he can ask better questions and make more informed comments. I told him to save his $$ for better quality headphones (to go with the Dynahi I plan to build for him, that he doesn't know about yet).

-coma

If he doesn't know about it yet, he will soon when he reads your post. Time to edit before he sees it. I know you said no Outside for him, but you never know.

16 degrees, damn that's cold. I grow up NJ and skiied in Vermont in Jan./Feb. and it doesn't get much colder than that. We dropped from 83 yesterday to 50 today, which for us Floridians is cold.

Dec 12, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

If he doesn't know about it yet, he will soon when he reads your post. Time to edit before he sees it. I know you said no Outside for him, but you never know.

16 degrees, damn that's cold. I grow up NJ and skiied in Vermont in Jan./Feb. and it doesn't get much colder than that. We dropped from 83 yesterday to 50 today, which for us Floridians is cold.

I don't mind if he finds out the Dynahi. I was about to spring it on him anyway. More stuff to hold over his head to get things I need done around here
biggrin.gif
I could live in 50-degrees year-round. Even the jump from 15 to 35 has left me feeling grateful every morning I put on my running shoes, and speaking of... I guess it's that time.

Dec 12, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

50, still plenty warm for golfing. It is balmy here today mid 30's. I do remember a few winters ago when it hit -35 now that was brisk. It is nice to have a tube amp for my speakers it takes the chill off of a room.

Dec 12, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #12 of 21
Hey this is cool and all, by how about you try to teach him how to make a basic amp himself before making him the dynahi? I would love to have a skilled DIY'er in the family who could teach me how to make my own amps..

Just a thought
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasken
Hey this is cool and all, by how about you try to teach him how to make a basic amp himself before making him the dynahi? I would love to have a skilled DIY'er in the family who could teach me how to make my own amps..

Just a thought
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm more mechanically than electronically inclined, but that's a great thought. I know how to solder, read a multimeter and follow basic instructions, but am pretty schematic illiterate. This is the year to expand that knowledge, so why not bring him along and learn together. Thanks for the idea.

-coma

Dec 12, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Welcome to Head-Fi comabereni's son, sorry about your dad's wallet.

Yeah !!

Make sure he is sorry...

I have a few suggestions on where to begin the assault :-

Sony Qualia
Gilmore Dynahi
Funky cables
PS Audio Power
Razmatazzzz source like Meridian or something
high end Turn Table
LOTS of music

that will finish him off
very_evil_smiley.gif