My SL-SX500 is dead, I need a new player
Sep 16, 2002 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Onix

Papá de Iñaki
It finally croacked, so I need some advice on getting a substitute, either a new or old player. My requirements are:

1- A good line out.

2- Good sound from the headphone out. Good bass and an open sound. I am thinking something with a good balance between detail and warmth. I'll be using my MS-1's.

2- A reasonable amount of Anti-skip protection in order to use it in the car and while walking.

3- I think I can live with some 8 hours of battery life while using rechargables. If it can recharge them also, that's great. But I can allways get batteries for free in the office, a battery pack or a battery from Powerplant, so it's not a big issue.

4- I don't care about remote controls. If it has one, most probably I wont use it.

5- Has to be able to read CD-R.

6- It has to be for less than a 100 bucks. If you recomend a 20 dollars CD player or a $99.99 it's the same for me. I just care about how it sounds, not the looks or the construction.

BTW. There are some players I either had in my power or got to hear for a reasonable time, please let me know what you think about them and if they are a great choice. They are:

Radio Shack CD-3904
Radio Shack CD-3490 (my first, I remember I liked it more than the SL-SX500, but it had a ver bad battery life) and..
Lini mentioned a Grundig player, I hope someone can give more input about it
Also, there's an old SONY D-88 in an electronics store down here. But they are asking for 70 bucks for it. Too much maybe for a not so portable player, but if someone can recomend it, perhaps I'll negotiate a lower price.

So anyway, all help would be greatly apreciated (sp?). Gracias amigos.

Sep 17, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 35
Sorry to hear that your SL-SX500. I can't really comment on the Newer panasonic, but the newer Sony Discmans should have a very good line out. Batter, and everything else seem perfect. The let down is the horrid headphone out. If you can stand the headphone out and live with the line out...you will be fine. Getting the D-E925 is a good choice.

Sep 17, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 35
For me the Panasoncic SL-CT570 fits the bill. www.soundcity.com is selling them for $90 with free shipping.

I can't comment on the quality of the line out, as I don't use it, but the consensus seems to be that it is good.

I find the headphone out to be very good. It drives Senn 497's with no problem. Power is 2 x 9w into 16 ohms I believe.

Skip protection is excellent in my experience. I've never had it skip yet.

It comes with rechargeables and can recharge them. They are AAA's. You won't get 8 hours out of them, although you will if you use the add-on battery pack which holds two AA's.

It has an in-line remote. I don't use it.

It reads CD-R's just fine. Not CD-RW's though.

Price is as above. There is a source which may sell them cheaper. I bought two for $65 each plus a couple bucks shipping. You should be able to find it in the archives under "source for Panasonic 570", although I don't know if they still have them for sure.

I think the sound of this unit is excellent. Even though the looks weren't important to me, I do find its slim profile and aluminum lid kinda cool.

Sep 18, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 35
I second dinosauract's suggestion. Thanks to him, I managed to get the SL-CT570 direct from Panasonic for $80 (including $15 shipping and tax).

It sounds great and looks cool to boot.

Sep 18, 2002 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 35
Onix: Me still thinks, a Grundig Squixx CDP 4101 AS10 would be the best solution for you
smily_headphones1.gif
- fair price, easy to use, juicy headphone out (2x 15 mW), good line-out (about as good as my old Sanyo CDP-55A and better than the somewhat grainy SL-CT570(A), in my opinion...) and more shock resistance than my CDP 4100, (which I'd only recommend for car use, if no cobblestones and bumpy roads are involved...). I've got to phone Grundig anyway, so maybe I can dig up a source for you - perhaps I can make it tomorrow...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Sep 19, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 35
I find the ct-570 to be decent but kind of bright.

Biggie.

Sep 19, 2002 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Onix: Me still thinks, a Grundig Squixx CDP 4101 AS10 would be the best solution for you
smily_headphones1.gif
- fair price, easy to use, juicy headphone out (2x 15 mW), good line-out (about as good as my old Sanyo CDP-55A and better than the somewhat grainy SL-CT570(A), in my opinion...) and more shock resistance than my CDP 4100, (which I'd only recommend for car use, if no cobblestones and bumpy roads are involved...). I've got to phone Grundig anyway, so maybe I can dig up a source for you - perhaps I can make it tomorrow...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Hi Lini. Thanks. It's either the Grundid, the Rasioshack 3940 or the Pana. Thanks for the help digging out a source. I should call the local retailer here also. Thanks Ozric, Dino, Purk and Biggie. Youg guys know what is good about having my PCDP dead? I get to play all my cassette tapes again. I have some albums that were only available on tape or vinyl, so it's like going back to my youth. But I really, really, really need the CD player.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice and please keep it coming.
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #8 of 35
Onix-

I'm interested in maybe getting a Grundig Squixx CDP 4101 AS10 (what a name "Squixx"!), but have you discovered where you might buy one??

I was looking a high and low last night, and apart from going to der Deutschland, it doesn't look you can get the in the ol US of A...tell me, if you know

The A-dog
confused.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by Advance Dog
Onix-

I'm interested in maybe getting a Grundig Squixx CDP 4101 AS10 (what a name "Squixx"!), but have you discovered where you might buy one??

I was looking a high and low last night, and apart from going to der Deutschland, it doesn't look you can get the in the ol US of A...tell me, if you know

The A-dog
confused.gif

Hey Dog! The only idea that I have is either getting it from Germany or, what I have meant to do for sometime, look for it here in Mexico. I'll check the local Grundig representative today and I'll let you know. See ya.

Sep 24, 2002 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 35
Onix-

Thanks for checking for me...

I'm looking at the 3904 also, maybe, but can you tell me why you like it?

I may go that route if the shipping from the DF there is as much as the player itself, though the Grundig appealed to me b/coz of their durable manufaturer's reputation.

Hasta,
Randy the A-Dog

Sep 25, 2002 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 35
Onix, Randy: Ok, I've just talked to Grundig and ordered two CDP 4101 AS10 for myself - in chrome and snow white. And I could order two more for you, in case you couldn't dig up any better source. The press price is 65 Euro, which includes shipping in Germany. That's not the cheapest price, though, but I prefer ordering from the manufacturer instead from some mail order company I have no further experience with. Nevertheless it might even make sense for you to check the German vendors you could dig up at www.geizhals.at/de - maybe one of these would be willing and able to ship units to your places with reasonable shipping costs.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Sep 25, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 35
Manfred...thanks, thank you very much...i'm going to go the cheap route as this has to be limited expense hobby/enterpise

especially if i go for the amp which i am plan on doing

btw, have you had any experience with JMT's custom "altoids" amp, and if you do, how much are they?

i haven't messaged JMT yet

Randy

Sep 25, 2002 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 35
Randy: You're welcome, anyway. And sorry, but I haven't got any experience with JMT's amps. Jan Meier's Porta Corda is a nice portable amp, I have and could recommend, though... Even if it's not really needed for the Grundig.
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: And for all wondering about the Oktoberfest (Wiesn) - it's raining all day here in Munich anyway since a few days. So you don't miss a lot, if you're not there. And antually you don't even miss a lot, if you were here and it was sunny - except if you're into drunk Italians and Australians, that is...
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 35
It looks like every time I call Grundig here in Mexico the sales guy is lunching. I'll keep trying. And Randy, that Radioshack player was auditioned by me when I made a review for a Mexican magazine. It was the best sounding of the lot, even better than the Panasonic (can't remember model number), which was second best. The soundstage is wide and natural, and also very much alive. But that's just my opinion. In any case, maybe you can try Grunding in the U.S., here's their webpage: http://www.grundigradio.com/index_flash.html. It's really crappy by the way. They also have an 800 number: 0800-872 2228. Good luck. If I can find the player here I'll let you know. Hasa luego.

Sep 27, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #15 of 35
Looks like the people who's supposed to distribute Grunding in Mexico is just working on a agreement with the company. So, they don't really have any Grundig products in the local market anyway.
frown.gif

Well, anyway, did you have luck with Grundig USA Randy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back