My six-year-old daughter flawlessly passed a blind test between a silver-plated wire and a copper one
Nov 30, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #211 of 424
Actually the opposite is true, there’s hardly anything you can reliably test that is more trivial than cables. Unfortunately though, that requires an ABX switch box which the OP probably doesn’t own. The other fairly trivial way is to record the same signals through the different cables with a decent ADC and then use free software to ABX them. Probably not as much fun for his daughter though. The protocols only become non-trivial when doing a manual DBT, where someone is switching the cables and asking the questions.

Instant switch is ideal for everyone. Regardless of age or gender, just noticeable differences are more easily and more reliably differentiated with fast/instant switching, pretty much every ABX test since it was invented in the early 1950’s has demonstrated that.

So don’t let her see the efforts you’ve gone through to set up the test. Hopefully she shouldn’t feel any more pressure than you just asking her normally in a sighted test. Very possibly she will get less nervous, as she’s already been through (and enjoyed) a similar procedure from the previous test. I would think boredom/loosing interest would potentially be more of a problem, especially if you want to do more tests to reduce the likelihood of random guessing resulting in a high/significant success rate.

G
All very interesting indeed and there is room to start a new chat about what a square wave or frequency response shows, versus what it feels like as a perception. In my experience there is no correlation. If not for macro evidence. Same graphs - identical ends at the smallest fractions of db/- and different listening. (Imo, of course). And so, we return to the starting point on the value of subjective perception. I stop here. But, I repeat, I am confident that the Christmas test will propose the same conclusions as the original test. The young daughter (to whom nothing should be said other than that she is playing with her father) will feel the same things. 10 times out of 10 or even 20 times out of twenty. And this while respecting all possible test procedures. But reality is a complex space/time and so "never say never". And, just in case, I'll write it down just for fun. And I will retreat into meditation on the ultimate purpose of the universe.

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #212 of 424
Charts based on measurements are simply graphical representations of sound. We can measure much more than we can hear with human ears, so charts can illustrate beyond our ability to hear. The more understanding you have about acoustics, electronic signals and digital audio, the more you will get out of referring to charts. But if you make no effort to educate yourself, they’ll just remain wiggly lines that bear no relationship to what you hear. That is your fault, not the measurements or charts. Knowledge always sounds like gobbledegook to the willfully ignorant.

A sloppy test is worse than no test at all, because it might give a false impression of the truth. This sloppy test is a perfect example of that, and it illustrates how important the fundamental principles of DBX are.

If we were talking about something minor that was borderline audible, I would accept that it probably doesn’t matter either way, but the claim here is 100% accuracy, and that clearly isn’t correct at all. As Gregorio says 1+1 always equals 2.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #213 of 424
Charts based on measurements are simply graphical representations of sound. We can measure much more than we can hear with human ears, so charts can illustrate beyond our ability to hear. The more understanding you have about acoustics, electronic signals and digital audio, the more you will get out of referring to charts. But if you make no effort to educate yourself, they’ll just remain wiggly lines that bear no relationship to what you hear. That is your fault, not the measurements or charts. Knowledge always sounds like gobbledegook to the willfully ignorant.

A sloppy test is worse than no test at all, because it might give a false impression of the truth. This sloppy test is a perfect example of that, and it illustrates how important the fundamental principles of DBX are.

If we were talking about something minor that was borderline audible, I would accept that it probably doesn’t matter either way, but the claim here is 100% accuracy, and that clearly isn’t correct at all. As Gregorio says 1+1 always equals 2.
I admit my sins. I know I don't know, as a wise mentor of mine in ancient Greece (Socrates) said. So my fault my great fault. And I retire to a convent full of physicists and mathematicians. Until we meet again. (1+1 is =2 for me too)

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #214 of 424
I don't need a bunch of paragraphs to answer that question. I can do it in one word... Frustration.

If you look at this as one isolated incident, yes I overreacted. I apologize. But if you look at it in light of the pattern of behavior in this forum, it's par for the course. LisaShayBrown, Texx2818 and FunkyBassMan pepper threads with insults with impunity. We have had dozens and dozens of drop dead obvious trolls who have been allowed to ramp it up until it hits a crescendo. The frustration has gotten so bad we have turned on each other in the past. That just isn't right.

I always start out with people being polite and contribute what I can to the discussion. If you look through this thread, you'll see several new names and we are getting along just fine. The frustration comes when four different people offer a clue three different times apiece and the person just keeps on going as if he wasn't listening. I understand that this is the internet, and no one is held to any sort of standards for participation, but the repeated wrong-headedness rises to the level of thread crapping sometimes. The woo woo nature of other parts of Head-Fi might encourage that sort of thing, but this isn't the forum for that.

There needs to be gentle guidance from somewhere to let drop-ins know the differences between posting in sound science and posting elsewhere in Head-Fi. If this guy had been encouraged to lurk more before posting and to listen and learn, there would have been less trouble. I tried to do that myself, but it fell on deaf ears. There is an element of performance in posting in the other forums in Head-Fi. People feel a proprietary ownership of threads they create and they take the opportunity to create proclamations and flowery descriptions. That isn't the way we do things here in Sound Science. The people answering the questions with facts are the focus here and we value facts and info over verbosity. That's important for drop ins to understand.

For what it is worth.

I have lurked here on and off for a while because while the science of certain parts of this hobby interests me I don’t typically have a lot to contribute.

I totally understand the frustration that bigshot talks about, the trolling and game playing by some people is absolutely obvious to all but the most casual of observers.

That sort of behaviour would get people kicked out of other forums.

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #215 of 424
So don’t let her see the efforts you’ve gone through to set up the test. Hopefully she shouldn’t feel any more pressure than you just asking her normally in a sighted test. Very possibly she will get less nervous, as she’s already been through (and enjoyed) a similar procedure from the previous test.
And definitely don't let her read this thread. :o2smile:

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #217 of 424
We do go back to square one a lot. We always seem to be dragged into dumb audiophool nonsense that goes in circles and never get a chance to go any further.

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #218 of 424
Warning, long whine with too much captain obvious for comfort!

Maybe OP has an agenda, maybe the daughter is a goldfish, maybe it's all part of an invasion from outer space. But Maybe someone just shared his experience, which is absolutely fine to do on the forum, and maybe he doesn't deserve all the crap ’you’ have been throwing his way.

When OP asked to delete the thread I PMed him and among other things said:

I think I’m pretty close to what goes on here, and for the most part I tend to be part of that movement. But Why so much aggression? Why can't someone share an experience he had without getting the very expected Spanish inquisition preparing for the auto-da-fé(I guess that makes it the Portuguese inquisition).

Anybody coming here to discuss cables apparently needs a full lab and several degrees to just talk about it without getting roasted. But I don't see the same rigor and need for evidence in all the stuff bigshot and some assumed about him, his experience, his agenda, or if he even has a daughter. I think this is going too far, like it often does, but this time it's impossible to defend. OP didn't come here as the usual 'know it all and prove nothing' annoyance that I also feel like slapping IRL sometimes. He literally shared an experience. Now that all his buttons have been pushed, he logically reacts more extremely, but did he start it? I don't think so.
OP had potential flaws in his test, and we brought that up as we should. But we don't have his cables on his system, and we're not his daughter. We do not know how much change there is in the sound or if she could perceive it. The headphone, while not being as extreme as some IEMs, has more potential for sound change with a reasonable increase in impedance than most non-portable headphones(high impedance of dead flat planar stuff). I say that because of the low, and apparently non-flat impedance curve I saw online. I don’t know anything else. So without more information about the cables and gear, I don't know why the possibility of audible change simply gets rejected? It's one among several possibilities of course, and I'd put other possible explanations as first guesses, but deciding that we know there is no audible change is, IMO, the same fallacy as all those who decide they know there was a sound difference without more than a sighted impression.

We don’t have enough data to properly disprove OP’s experience, so we attack him and his credibility? I don’t remember that part in the scientific method.
Thank you for this outstanding post.

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #219 of 424
Buy your daughter the cable she enjoys. Problem solved :D

Also, whether or not your daughter can hear a cable I cannot, so I don't care. Life is relative. I could hear TVs being on when I was 7 years old.. I remember sticking my head up to the boobtube and wow, thats a high pitched noise! Im sure i can barely hear a fart now. Who cares, just enjoy music, then life is good.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #220 of 424
All very interesting indeed and there is room to start a new chat about what a square wave or frequency response shows, versus what it feels like as a perception. In my experience there is no correlation.
It’s not just “room to start a new chat”, it would need to be pretty huge room because what you’re actually talking about is effectively not only an entire branch of science (“Psychoacoustics”) but several sub-branches, for example the field of “Cognitive Neuroscience of Music”. Your experience is incorrect, or rather massively incomplete/naive. There is in fact a correlation although it’s not linear and requires research to identify exactly what the correlation is, actually it required/requires a great deal of research because the correlation varies depending on which aspect of physical sound properties and what category of perception you‘re talking about, for example; frequency vs pitch perception, amplitude vs loudness perception, ILD vs the perception of soundstage/localisation and numerous others. You’re not going to pick up and understand all this from “your experience” because the history of Psychoacoustics goes back to Pythagoras, includes Da Vinci, Galileo, numerous other great minds and many tens of thousands of researchers going back over a century. Helmholtz did a lot of pioneering work in the mid 1800’s and can arguably be called the inventor of modern Psychoacoustics although in the late 1800’s it was Lord Rayleigh who discovered most of the fundamental basics in the field. AT&T/Bell Labs also deserve a mention, they had an entire department dedicated to acoustic/psychoacoustic research from around 1910 and Harvey Fletcher, the director of this department for over 30 years, arguably contributed more to the field than any other. You need to realise that Psychoacoustics isn’t just some obscure scientific field dependent on a few contributing scientists, it’s a big field which has had (and continues to have) a great deal of resources throw at it because it’s not solely concerned with explaining to audiophiles what they think they’re hearing, it’s literally a matter of life and death, it has national security implications, health and safety applications, military applications, telecoms and other huge international commercial applications. Currently, multi-billion dollar companies such as Apple, Google, Dolby and others are funding a great deal of psychoacoustic research (due to applications in VR, etc.), in addition to the ongoing psychoacoustic research by the ITU, AES, EBU and other national and international bodies.
Same graphs - identical ends at the smallest fractions of db/- and different listening. (Imo, of course).
That’s because you don’t understand either graphs or Psychoacoustics! A graph typically tells us the measurement of a single physical attribute, say an analogue or acoustic property. Sound does not have a single acoustic attribute and we do not perceive/hear a single acoustic attribute, therefore a graph of a single attribute is obviously never going to tell us everything and two identical graphs of the same attribute from two different pieces of kit does not indicate they sound the same. Maybe I’ve just been in the business for so long that I can’t see how all this isn’t obviously self evident? We see exactly the same thing in other product types, for example; if a car has a 0-100kph of say 7 seconds and another make of car has a near identical 0-100kph acceleration time (or even a near identical acceleration graph), do you really expect to feel no difference between the two cars? Obviously a car’s performance is dictated by many attributes; handling, braking, gears, aerodynamics etc., not just the 0-100kph acceleration time/graph. And, what you feel about the performance is dictated by even more attributes, say the seating position, seat comfort, suspension, instrumentation, control ergonomics, steering feedback, etc. Isn’t that self-evident to anyone with driving experience? If a graph or measurement indicates no difference but you feel a difference, either you’re imagining a difference where there isn’t one or you’re looking at a measurement/graph of the wrong thing.
And so, we return to the starting point on the value of subjective perception. I stop here.
No one is doubting the value of subjective perception, me least of all, because the audio content you’re reproducing is almost entirely based on subjective perception, the subjective perception of the musicians, engineers and producer who created it. However, cables, amps, DACs etc., do not have any subjective perception and should obviously not attempt to apply any. Personally, I want to hear the subjective perception/choices of the musicians and engineers, not those applied by say an Amp.
But, I repeat, I am confident that the Christmas test will propose the same conclusions as the original test. The young daughter (to whom nothing should be said other than that she is playing with her father) will feel the same things. 10 times out of 10 or even 20 times out of twenty. And this while respecting all possible test procedures.
That’s possible but unlikely. It would be possible if the new test is as flawed as the original test for example. Even if she does “feel the same things“ and is able to identify that, acceptable test procedures would not have been respected if the conclusion is the same, that it‘s due to silver plate vs copper.

G

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #222 of 424
15 pages......... <shrug>
Indeed. To be honest I didn't read them all so maybe what I'm going to say is been said already.

What the TS has done is a ABX test.
As ABX is a forced choice, X is A or B and nothing else.
Obvious for each trial there is a change of 50% to guess correctly.
That is pretty high. That is exactly the reason why ABX says that you have to do a minimum af 10 trials and you need at least 9 out of them to be correct to reach statistical significance.

My six-year-old daughter flawlessly passed a blind test
Only 6 trials were done. Should have been 10.
Unfortunately this charming experiment is not valid as the number of trials is insufficient to obtain statistical significance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABX_test

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #223 of 424
If you step away from the belief or dis-belief that there are any perceptible differences between SPC, full copper, hybrid SPC/copper, palladium, graphene or any other material used in the construction of any cable, there is probably about a 95-97% margin left to determine that most cables actually sound 'good' in any case!
Try and find a post on any audio forum where someone describes in detail a 'bad-sounding cable'. (edit: apart from if they're broken of course)

There are those who will swear there's a clearly-perceptible difference between different cable types but there are those who will also expend as much if not more energy in contradicting the claim using 'science' as verification.
What the deniers fail to realise is that science is constantly evolving, new measurement techniques are being developed and there are potentially many more dynamics relating to how our brains process audio charateristics that have yet to be discovered. Whether this is due to material differences remains to be discovered.

At the end of the day, life's too short to get petty and hostile about whether differences exist or not.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #224 of 424
The truth doesn’t always lie halfway between two opposing views. Sometimes people are completely wrong.

A century of study and applied science or a person’s subjective impression? It isn’t hard to figure out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back