My Singlepower MPX-3 SLAM has ARRIVED! (Pics)
Oct 6, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #46 of 49
Just to update you guys, I've talked to Mikhail several times over the past week and I ended up buying several new tubes to try out. So, fyi, I'm not getting rid of the amp just yet...gonna give it a bit longer.

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #47 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangs55
Just to update you guys, I've talked to Mikhail several times over the past week and I ended up buying several new tubes to try out. So, fyi, I'm not getting rid of the amp just yet...gonna give it a bit longer.

Good for you, those are awesome looking amps! Enjoy it.

Oct 6, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #49 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangs55

I hope you will like it as I do the SP MPX3 SE. Gradually, the amp will be seasoned (caps, wires, resistors), and along with it you will find a tube set that pleases your ears.

I've been struggling to achieve true enjoyment for the first several weeks, putting up with a little but noticeable hum probably from transformer. The amp landed on July 26th, but only 2-3 weeks ago (2 months after) the hum was gone, and the amp is running near dead quiet, mechanically as well as sonically.

Tube rolling, for driver I've tried Ken Rad (overly microphonic), stock EH 6sn7 (relatively bright, less mellow), cryo-Sylvania (good but not warm anough). Most recently, a 1951 RCA 6sn7 proved my cup of tea. Combined with a TS 5687s and adapters (sent by Mikhail), it gives me a more musical yet not overly warm overall presentation, probably a bit less highs than other tubes (I don't mind), deep bass performance. The music tone is just right.

I hope you will hit the "bull's-eye" sooner or later. Good things don't come quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back