My Singlepower MPX-3 SLAM has ARRIVED! (Pics)
Sep 29, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #16 of 49
Great looking rig you've got there! So I take it that the wait was well worth it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #17 of 49
Stangs55 -

Congratulations on the new amp! The amp really senergizes nicely with the dt900's, doesn't it? Takes them to a whole different level.

I'm also curious about the "SLAM" graphic, isn't it included on the MPX SLAM anymore?

- augustwest

Sep 29, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roasty
..."question: so the MPX3-slam version doesnt come with the 'Slam' wording on the casing?"

Perhaps the SLAM label is reserved for permanent (factory installed) 5687 output tube sockets Singlepowers.

Congratulations Stangs55 to a fine amp! I whish you many happy listing hours and interesting tube rolling.

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #20 of 49
Congrats! I remember how happy I was when my PPX3-slam came. I couldn't stop listening to it for at least a day, made those RS-1's sing and me smile!

Oh and that smile... its still here 6 months later
rs1smile.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #22 of 49
Congrats. Tremendous view, too! I can envision several afternoon and evening listening sessions enhanced by that scene! Happy for ya. Personally, I'm still waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting......
blink.gif
frown.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
Stangs55 -

Congratulations on the new amp! The amp really senergizes nicely with the dt900's, doesn't it? Takes them to a whole different level.

I'm also curious about the "SLAM" graphic, isn't it included on the MPX SLAM anymore?

- augustwest

I just received my PPX3 Slam. I bought a basic PPX3 used and had it sent to SP to be upgraded. It also doesn't have the "SLAM" graphic but they did add the "-6SN7" graphic. The 2 rear sockets are octal and there are two adapters for the 9 pin tubes. Maybe that explains it?

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #24 of 49
congrats on a fine acquisition. wait a few hundred hours for the amp to come to life.

try a ken-rad vt231driver/6sn7gt tube & sylvanian vt-231/67n7gt output tubes. great match for single power amps. if you do not have tube teaster, contanat member "Len". he speciliazes in 6sn7 tubes. his tubes always cheke out as described. i think this combo works very well with singlepowers amps.

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieo
congrats on a fine acquisition. wait a few hundred hours for the amp to come to life.

try a ken-rad vt231driver/6sn7gt tube & sylvanian vt-231/67n7gt output tubes. great match for single power amps. if you do not have tube teaster, contanat member "Len". he speciliazes in 6sn7 tubes. his tubes always cheke out as described. i think this combo works very well with singlepowers amps.

Hi stevieo,

If this is for me, I appreciate the advice. However, I'll be mostly using AKG K340 headphones with it and need the extra oomph of 5687 output tubes. That's why I got the "Slam" version.

-guzziguy

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #26 of 49
Well guys, I actually am ending up selling the amp. Why on earth would I sell it? Well, the explanation is here.

If you're interested in buying it, then the link is in my sig.

And, yes, this is the single greatest amp that has ever graced my ears...it's just that my head-fi career is heading in a different direction.

Oct 2, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #27 of 49
I'm really confused here. How do you go from "aural bliss" to selling the amp in 4 days? Four days ago you loved it. Now it's time to dump it?
blink.gif

I'm not trying to put you down. I just don't understand. I hope what you are doing does make you happy.

Oct 2, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy
I'm really confused here. How do you go from "aural bliss" to selling the amp in 4 days? Four days ago you loved it. Now it's time to dump it?
blink.gif

I'm not trying to put you down. I just don't understand. I hope what you are doing does make you happy.

lol, not a problem at all. I kinda went into that answer in the link I posted.

My decision more came down to the headphones I use than the amp. The simple fact is that my ears prefer the sound of IEM's over any headphone/amp combination I have tried. The MPX-3 is an unbelievable amp and opened up much of my music when listening to headphones that my other amps never could. The problem was, however, that I found myself often just plugging my Shure E500's straight into the MPX-3 rather than the RS-1's, K701's, or 990's. The problem didn't lie in the amp, it was in the fact that my own personal aural nirvana is found in IEM's. And, quite honestly, owning a MPX-3 SLAM to drive my E500's is just a tad silly
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope that makes sense, and you guys understand that my LAST intent is to take ANYTHING away from the best tube amp I've ever heard.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangs55
lol, not a problem at all. I kinda went into that answer in the link I posted.

My decision more came down to the headphones I use than the amp. The simple fact is that my ears prefer the sound of IEM's over any headphone/amp combination I have tried. The MPX-3 is an unbelievable amp and opened up much of my music when listening to headphones that my other amps never could. The problem was, however, that I found myself often just plugging my Shure E500's straight into the MPX-3 rather than the RS-1's, K701's, or 990's. The problem didn't lie in the amp, it was in the fact that my own personal aural nirvana is found in IEM's. And, quite honestly, owning a MPX-3 SLAM to drive my E500's is just a tad silly
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope that makes sense, and you guys understand that my LAST intent is to take ANYTHING away from the best tube amp I've ever heard.

I read the link and it didn't really help me understand. I see nothing silly about driving E500s with an MPX3 Slam. You won't need the power but you should still get the tube magic. A lot of people use less expensive headphones with amps at the same level as your MPX Slam. Plus, if you decide that non-IEMs again belong in your life, you'll still have a great amp to drive them too.

I haven't yet listened to my UM2s with my PPX3 Slam. I'll do that today to see what I think of that combo as compared to the UM2/headfive combo that I've done. Maybe you don't get the tube magic with IEMs, but I can't imagine why not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back