My Singlepower MPX-3 SLAM has ARRIVED! (Pics)
Sep 28, 2006 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Stangs55

100+ Head-Fier
Mkay...um, wow...

So THIS is what my music was supposed to sound like!
eggosmile.gif

I'm in aural bliss right now, so I'm just going to lay down on the couch and drift away...when I come to, I'll get back to posting some actual impressions...but I can give you the cliff notes now: "DAUMNNNNNNNN"

Raytheon 5687 output tubes and a 6SN7EH up front. I'm going into my Lavry DA10 from both an external CD Player via digital coax and from my bit-matched X-Fi on my PC via a glass toslink. From the Lavry I'm going from XLR->RCA adapters to the MPX-3.

Here are some pics:
eggosmile.gif

The Setup (part 1)
hf-setup.jpg

The Setup (part 2)
hf-lavry.jpg

My Precious
hf-mpx3.jpg

hf-close.jpg

Tubes
hf-tube1.jpg

hf-tube2.jpg

The Listening Area (On a couch, nearly 30 stories in the air makes for a nice place to listen)

hf-room.jpg

hf-room2.jpg

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 49
I'll never forgive you for this. Congrats man.

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 49
wow it looks beautiful! thats a great view too.. i'm so jealous, i'm only on the 4th floor. cant wait for your impressions on the amp!

question: so the MPX3-slam version doesnt come with the 'Slam' wording on the casing?

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 49
My recently arrived MPX3 SLAM is an awesome amp, but I am a little annoyed by the way the chassis fits together. There are two halves (top and bottom), each bent in a "U" shape and bolted together. The left side of the bottom piece of my chassis is not flush with the top piece and sticks out a few mm. Apparently, the left side of the bottom piece is not bent uniformly, because it is nicely finished at the rear; it's only the front that's the problem. While this is strictly a cosmetic issue and does not affect performance in any way, I am still a little bothered by the fit-and-finish issue on an an amp that cost around $1200. I'll probably have it fixed if I ever send in the amp for an upgrade. Otherwise, I guess it's something I'll live with. Oh, well...

Jim

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 49
nice pics. looking at those 6sn7 tubes really make me melt, hott.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 49
Congrats on the amp.

I am proud to say that my MPX3 SLAM also came yesterday! I picked up a TS 6SN7GT black round-plate for the gain, and it came with 6BL7GTAs as outputs.

Blown away by the sound. I also customized it with a texture control and preamp outputs. Using the MPX3 as a preamp for my 2 channel speaker system has also been eye-opening. I feel like a have a new stereo and a new headphone amp.

Sep 28, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 49
Congratulations, gentlemen. The photos are delicious. That's right, the SP amp especially with preamp OUT makes us hear stereos as new: profound bass, untiring highs, yummy mids, an overall well balanced tone, nicely placed soundstage. Having an MPX3 makes me want to save more moolah for a Supra or Maestro.

Sep 28, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by robinje
My recently arrived MPX3 SLAM is an awesome amp, but I am a little annoyed by the way the chassis fits together. There are two halves (top and bottom), each bent in a "U" shape and bolted together. The left side of the bottom piece of my chassis is not flush with the top piece and sticks out a few mm. Apparently, the left side of the bottom piece is not bent uniformly, because it is nicely finished at the rear; it's only the front that's the problem. While this is strictly a cosmetic issue and does not affect performance in any way, I am still a little bothered by the fit-and-finish issue on an an amp that cost around $1200. I'll probably have it fixed if I ever send in the amp for an upgrade. Otherwise, I guess it's something I'll live with. Oh, well...

Jim

How come your SLAM is $1200 ?

Sep 28, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 49
Amazing rig, looks great! Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back