my Shure e500 return
Aug 13, 2007 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

frescagod

100+ Head-Fier
they've been sitting at Shure's service department for like 2 weeks now and I haven't received my replacements (9 months in, cable split like everyone else's has or will).....

i HATE being without them. i'm thinking of buying some e2's to use specifically when the new e500s/se530s break again around may of 2008.
frown.gif

being on the subway for another week without music drowning out loud idiots is going to suck.

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 33
I've been holding out on sending mine back for now with the hope that Shure find a way to make these cables more reliable. Being without them won't be quite so painful for me given I still have my E5Cs as a backup. I'm hoping any repairs I do get done to my E500 will tide me over long enough until I can no longer resist the urge to get the UE11s.

Aug 13, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been holding out on sending mine back for now with the hope that Shure find a way to make these cables more reliable. Being without them won't be quite so painful for me given I still have my E5Cs as a backup. I'm hoping any repairs I do get done to my E500 will tide me over long enough until I can no longer resist the urge to get the UE11s.

i held off on my 2nd RMA til the driver was held on by maybe 1 strand of the outer cable, just to see how long it would take. A couple weeks.

The cable to driver connection has always been a weak point on Shures (e3, e4, e500), vs. the molded connectors that Westone and Ety have. I think they're going to have to go that direction.

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Crandall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Shure, the e500 cable issue has been addressed.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...2&postcount=82

Are there pictures of the 2 variations? How would one go about knowing what version they actually have?

Dates on boxes, serial numbers?
confused.gif

Then again, those who bought it from Ebay probably won't get their warranty honored at all. ('Grey' merchandise.) :'(

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those who bought it from Ebay probably won't get their warranty honored at all.

Actually Shure have said ALL products regardless of where purchased will be replaced under warranty. Even without a proof of purchase. In this case though the manafacturing date code will be used as a start date of the warranty.

Sweet
biggrin.gif

They also said that they will not be disclosing the date at which the new cables were implemented to stop a mass panic of people thinking their cables (made before the new date) were sub par & that there was no way of telling which you had
frown.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 33
i got my replacement earphones yesterday (took them 2 weeks!) but they finally got here. the thing is, they are e500s, and they look and feel exactly the same as my original ones from november 2006. my question is- are the cables really made of a different material this time around? i'll probably answer my own question in 6-9 months....if they break again, then this warranty replacement is kind of pointless right? it's just a vicious cycle.

i remember reading the mondo thread where sugarfried stated that they changed the composition of the cable....but that was probably in the se530s, right? these are some old e500PTHs.

gah!

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by frescagod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got my replacement earphones yesterday (took them 2 weeks!) but they finally got here. the thing is, they are e500s, and they look and feel exactly the same as my original ones from november 2006...

Oh that sucks. I got mine a few days ago as well and I got the SE530 (sent in E500's) without the pth unit. The first thing I noticed was that the cords that attach to the drivers was thinner and more flexible compared to my old E500's. The extension cord (the longer one, not the worthless 3 inch cable) seemed to be the same.

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh that sucks. I got mine a few days ago as well and I got the SE530 (sent in E500's) without the pth unit. The first thing I noticed was that the cords that attach to the drivers was thinner and more flexible compared to my old E500's. The extension cord (the longer one, not the worthless 3 inch cable) seemed to be the same.

Did you send in a PTH unit or no?

Aug 20, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, they sent me the SE530 not the SE530PTH since I didn't send a pth unit.

Maybe that's the trick then - send your E500 without the PTH, and they'll have to send you an SE530
icon10.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tlie00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe that's the trick then - send your E500 without the PTH, and they'll have to send you an SE530
icon10.gif

gah, i did send it in without the PTH. oh well. i will try to enjoy these e500s until they break around next spring.

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 33
theres been word that the se530 which i currently own has had a cable modification of some sort during the manufacturing removing a substance from the wire that causes the cable to stiffen and split due to moisture from the users ears or hair and so on,i cant think what the substance removed or modified from the se530 but ive had mine a few months now with no sign of any wear,i must say tho due to the e500 complaints i do keep the cables as moisture free as possible with cleaning and wiping after use,can anyone shed light on the process im talking about??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back