my setup and advice please
Jun 8, 2020 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dtaylor3911

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I currently have the following setup and would appreciate advice on how to improve:
full headphones: AT-M50X and Fidelio X2HR
IEMs: soundmagic E10
Steinberg Ci1 USB interface
Fiio E11K portable amp
Presonus Eris E5 monitors and Temblor T10 subwoofer
Huawei Mate 20X
Sony NWX639F mp3 player with dedicated line out

I listen mainly to streamed music (Amazon music) - I tried HD in a free trial a few months ago with my mate 20x but couldn't really tell the difference. Recently I have listened to FLAC, 320kbs and 128kbs mp3 files and again pretty much cant tell them apart.

I'm keen to get a desktop dac / amp and like the Fiio K5 pro. Unsure though as I am not certain there will be sufficient difference to make the purchase worth it. I've looked at network streamers also but don't think I need this tech as listening is at my PC home office through monitors / headphones. Also thought about a newer audio interface but I want digital inputs and don't record so don't need analog mike inputs etc, and assume a headphone amp with power supply has more power to drive headphones. Not sure if the issue is my ears (I'm 55) although have normal hearing I think. So options are:

1. What is most bang for buck - I assume desktop amp / dac, is this right and any advice?
2. stream Hi res - not sure is worth it?
3. different headphones - I like warmth and wide soundstage so assume open full headphone - but what is a step up from X2HR, which tbh are very nice to me.

I'm struggling to justify / identify anything that will make a clear difference, but would welcome advice, esp regarding amp/dac choices, as I think this is a limiting factor in my setup. Can justify spending up to say £350 at the moment.

many thanks
DT

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi all, I currently have the following setup and would appreciate advice on how to improve:
full headphones: AT-M50X and Fidelio X2HR
IEMs: soundmagic E10
Steinberg Ci1 USB interface
Fiio E11K portable amp
Presonus Eris E5 monitors and Temblor T10 subwoofer
Huawei Mate 20X
Sony NWX639F mp3 player with dedicated line out

I listen mainly to streamed music (Amazon music) - I tried HD in a free trial a few months ago with my mate 20x but couldn't really tell the difference. Recently I have listened to FLAC, 320kbs and 128kbs mp3 files and again pretty much cant tell them apart.

I'm keen to get a desktop dac / amp and like the Fiio K5 pro. Unsure though as I am not certain there will be sufficient difference to make the purchase worth it. I've looked at network streamers also but don't think I need this tech as listening is at my PC home office through monitors / headphones. Also thought about a newer audio interface but I want digital inputs and don't record so don't need analog mike inputs etc, and assume a headphone amp with power supply has more power to drive headphones. Not sure if the issue is my ears (I'm 55) although have normal hearing I think. So options are:

1. What is most bang for buck - I assume desktop amp / dac, is this right and any advice?
2. stream Hi res - not sure is worth it?
3. different headphones - I like warmth and wide soundstage so assume open full headphone - but what is a step up from X2HR, which tbh are very nice to me.

I'm struggling to justify / identify anything that will make a clear difference, but would welcome advice, esp regarding amp/dac choices, as I think this is a limiting factor in my setup. Can justify spending up to say £350 at the moment.

many thanks
DT

Try checking out the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro dongle (DAC/AMP). Very small and light, superb sound quality.

I also use the Fiio A3 amp at my desktop (which I think is similar to your Fiio E11K), and I found the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro really has better clarity, details, imaging and instrument separation. Soundstage is a tinge wider with the Sonata HD Pro too.

I bought my Sonata HD Pro at $33, it is usually around $40ish USD, it can also be paired with smartphones and it's one of the best audio buys I've made this year.
Check out reviews on it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tempotec-sonata-hd-pro.24181/reviews

I like it so much I'm gonna get a second set at the next sale.

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for this, can't find it anywhere in the UK to buy at present, the hidizs s8 is on amazon for £99 and includes all different adapter types for ios and android and pc. Is this worth the extra cost or is there anything else to recommend?

Jun 9, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for this, can't find it anywhere in the UK to buy at present, the hidizs s8 is on amazon for £99 and includes all different adapter types for ios and android and pc. Is this worth the extra cost or is there anything else to recommend?

The Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is basically the OEM version of Hidizs S8 with the same internals and measurements. But the Hidizs S8 costs at least two times more.

I bought my Tempotec Sonata HD Pro from Aliexpress, but there's probably gonna be some logistical delays to UK due to covid, so it might take weeks to months to reach you unfortunately. There's a big Aliexpress sale coming in a week or so (their summer sale), so it might be cheaper then.
If waiting time's and return's an issue, Amazon is a bit safer. I see it being sold on Amazon too, but not sure what are delivery times to UK.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm not in a rush so will watch and wait, although this would work well with both my desktop and mobile listening, is a desktop amp dac necessarily any better, or is it just the digital inputs for CD player etc?
Desktop amps usually have more output power than the portable amps but portable dacs can be as good as desktop dacs.

Honestly if your dac isnt crap, then it makes more sense for you to invest in the iems/headphones itself as you already have a capable amp.

When it comes to your desktop setup, I would go with the Fiio K5Pro (I also recommended it to my friend). If you dont want to get a stack setup, in which case the Topping E30 and JDS atom is very good.

For your portable setup, the sonata hd pro that baskingshark mentioned should be a good one (havent researched that one myself but I trust baskingshark).
There is also the E1DA 9038S that has a very good reputation.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 9
So I guess I'm using my steinberg ci1 16bit 48khz USB audio interface as the dac with the e11k (a3) as the amp. Its good and loud and I can't tell different tracks apart, so maybe it's hard to easily improve without better headphones? My initial thought was to replace both with a k5 pro so I can improve quality and also get digital inputs which I don't have currently.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 9
So I guess I'm using my steinberg ci1 16bit 48khz USB audio interface as the dac with the e11k (a3) as the amp. Its good and loud and I can't tell different tracks apart, so maybe it's hard to easily improve without better headphones? My initial thought was to replace both with a k5 pro so I can improve quality and also get digital inputs which I don't have currently.

I find u get more bang for buck in upgrading the transducer (ie IEM/headphone) first. There are diminishing returns involved in upgrading downstream components like DACs and AMPs and even cables. But YMMV.

Jun 10, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #9 of 9
OK thanks for the help. Not sure it makes it any easier tbh but I think I need to add carefully and incrementally to my setup. I can justify a desktop amp dac as I don't have one and don't have digital inputs etc. I'm happy with my headphones and iem at the moment so will keep browsing and learning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back