My Sensaphonics experience (long post)
Sep 22, 2004 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

reynman

500+ Head-Fier
I decided to go to Sensaphonics and order the 2Xs and get some molds done.

First of all thanks to Julie, Michael and Claudia for their great customer service and patience. I want to state that this was MY experience. YMMV! And boy I hope it does!

I had a 3:00 p.m. appointment today and arrived about 30 minutes early. I completed a short questionaire Claudia handed me. I noticed a banner of all their customers, pretty eclectic list.

After I completed the questionaire Julie stopped by and introduced herself and recommended I try their demo pair with foamies. I've only tried a couple of canalphones at Etymotics (ER6) and at a couple meets (Shures), but I had a good seal. I fired up the iPod and then added the SR71 to the combo. I listened to Patricia Barber's You Don't Know Me. Initial impressions - visceral bass, clarity and presence of the vocals. I heard quite a few plucks of the bass by Michael Arnopol. Very nice. Julie was interested in the SR71 and she listened to the SR71 with her mini-iPod, and her 2Xs. She noticed a bit of a difference, but not enough to run out and buy one.

Well onto the the molds....or so it seemed.

I sat down in Julie's office and she peered into my left ear canal and lo and behold earwax raises its ugly head! I have a narrow and very curved left ear canal (both Julie and Michael concurred). Michael also mentioned I have sticky wax (ewwww!). My choices were wait and have my generalist do it or have Michael Santucci do it. I did not want to bother the boss man himself, but Julie said he was available. I decided to have him give it a whirl. After squirting in some Debrox-esque softener and waiting a few minutes, Michael went to work. About 25 minutes later and a few chunks of earwax removed by irrigation and picking (ack!) I was about 95% clear and Michael said let's do the right ear. The little chunk that did not want to leave my ear, basically attached itself to skin and did not want to come out. More on that later...

Side story - If anyone has ever had an irrigation, its not a pleasant experience due to the pressure, sound, and water. On top of that I've experience bouts of dizziness. Since I've had this done many times, its become more of a discomfort instead of a piercing pain. Mind you Michael and Julie were totally professional and asked me constantly if I wanted to continue. Glutton that I am, I told him to go ahead. All this for some IEMs??? These better be freakin good!

I digress...

Onto to the right ear! More of the softener and its irrigation time. One squirt and Holy S***!!! a rush of pain that I couldn't bear...but one chunk of reynman's sticky wax lay floating in the tray. The immense pain was do the wax being ripped off my skin!!! Michael likened it to a bandage being ripped off. Last check of the right side and everything looked clear.

Onto to the molds...Mind you, this was the part I was most apprehensive about. After going through the last 30-40 minutes anything else was a piece of cake. First came the plugs attached to a string. Kinda like small foamies. Julie used this lighted stick to gently insert plug into my left ear canal. I want one of those! Again, she checked to see if I was feeling any discomfort. I appreciated that Julie and Michael made me feel as comfortable as possible, making sure to ask how I was feeling and if it hurt. That went along way with me. (I want my Mommy!) Then came the gel. Strange sensation of having a blob of silicon in one's ear. She asked me to open and close my jaw and move my head in different positions. Same situation with the right ear. Even stranger to have 2 blobs of silicon in one's ear Total isolation, but I could hear people's muted foosteps, eerie!

A few minutes pass and Julie attempts to pull the silicon out of my ear. A few tugs and twists later, no go. She tries the right ear and whoosh out comes the mold. More tugs and twists on the left and finally whoosh out comes the mold. Wait there's more! The right ear which caused me so much pain had a nice smooth mold. The left ear which took so long to irrigate was not so smooth because of...you guessed it...The friggin piece of earwax that refused to leave my ear canal! Michael and Julie said we could try to irrigate one more time to get the little person out. I politely declined (my little voice and ears said Hell No!). Besides, I wanted to get back to my sedate life in the 'burbs after all this action. They put the order through and suggested that I Debrox for about a week and when the 2Xs were ready we could do a fitting and if things didn't work out we'd irrigate and remold the left ear. Oh joy!

To make a long story even longer I want to reiterate that Michael, Julie, and Claudia were very professional and caring even though I took up a quite a bit of their afternoon. The discomfort I felt was due to my narrow and curved ear canal and the lovely composition of my earwax. For that I got the bonus package of an irrigation and picking.

Most of you who have gone the IEM route or are thinking about it, my situation was different and not the norm. Julie, Michael, and I agreed that I had to get irrigated to make sure the molds were done correctly. Seriously, I'd highly recommend going to Sensaphonics and look forward to getting my 2Xs.

BTW, I'm getting the natural color and basic breakaway cable, but the cable will drop down from the driver (similar to earbuds) instead of wrapping above and behind the ear.

Whew! Thanks for reading. Time to treat my ears to some Jeff Buckley on the home rig.

Regards - reynman

Sep 22, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 23
welcome to the club buddy - these things are as good as it gets.

it was tough just reading your story. it makes my agonizing experience seem like a cakewalk.

you're gonna love 'em.

Sep 22, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 23
Thanks for sharing your story, sorry about the pain. It took less than 15 minutes to get my impressions done and it was totally painless. I guess I was very lucky.

--Andrew

Sep 22, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 23
I'm pretty lucky to have "oily" rather than sticky earwax as well.. earwax still hasn't been much of any problem with me.... At least not yet
wink.gif

Maybe I should get my ears checked out though... just in case.

Sep 22, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 23
Thanks for the kind words.

I've gone through this discomfort/pain quite a few times before. I was a bit sore and tired yesterday, but its all good. Gotta pick up some Debrox tonight.

ayn - my impressions took 15 minutes too...kinda! From the time Julie put the plug in and pulled the plug it was 15 minutes. All the drama beforehand was a necessary evil.
very_evil_smiley.gif

lindrone and toaster22, these better be worth it!
icon10.gif

Regards - reynman

Sep 22, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 23
I feel your pain!

The only discomfort I had was when Michael put the dam in prior to the goop. Then again, I'm one of the fortunate who doesn't build much earwax.

Like you, I enjoyed my visit with the entire staff. They're all so nice that I'd like to stop in on occasion just to chat and sip coffee.

Reynman, it's all gonna be worth it.

Sep 22, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 23
Sorry to hear.
But it will be worth it!

Sep 22, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelk
Reynman, it's all gonna be worth it.

Yes, they'll be worth it. The universal ones should have given you a taste of what you can expect.

As for as the earwax issue, it sounds like you needed it done no matter what headphones you were going to use. Even the best headphones won't shine if they can't get through blocked ear canals. I guess this can also apply to speakers as well.

Nov 9, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #11 of 23
Well its been about 6 weeks since I started this experience. Here's an update. A week or so after I had my molds (and irrigation) done I came in for my fitting at Sensaphonics. Julie sits me down and proceeds to put the right monitor into my ear. As she turns and gets a good seal I feel pressure which gives way to pain! She uses her scope and sees....you guessed, it earwax! Not good. Julie tries the left ear she inserts and turns and PAIN! She checks the ear and...earwax. Julie says that I have to see an ENT to get rid of the wax. She gives me a list of ENTs in Chicago. At this point I am feeling:

POd at my own ears for producing excessive wax of which I have no control of.

POd at the fact that I spent quite a bit of time and money on these damn things and all these setbacks are telling me that IEMs may not be for me. I wanted to take them home and just consider it an expensive lesson. BTW - no refund.

Fast forward to 11/01. I go to an ENT - recommended by my generalist. I went to an ENT several years ago and it did wonders. They have specialized tools, not just the lovely irrigator that my doctor has. I sit down and the doctor checks both ears and asks me if I'm hearing OK. I said I felt a bit plugged up in the right ear. He scoops and voila! I can hear. It was a very small ball that caused the blockage. The right ear is free and clear. On to the left ear (which caused me a great deal more pain during the fitting). Pick and scoop. Pick and scoop. Little pieces. No pain just a little discomfort. He asks if I hear a difference. I say no. Time for the heavy artillery - the suction. I can hear and feel the suction really LOUDLY. Still no pain. He looks through his tools and pulls out what looks like a micro needle-nosed pliers. I can hear him moving it around, a bit of pressure no biggee and WHOOSH! The doctor asks if I can hear a difference. I say no. Well this is probably what was causing you problems, he says. At the end of his pliers is a mass of wax about 1.5 inches long (YUCK!). Mind you I went through this several years ago and have had many irrigations with little bit and pieces come out of ears, but DAMN! BTW, a message from Dr. Horwitz, Do not use swabs to clean your ears!

Fast forward to today. I go to Sensaphonics thinking positive thoughts. Julie sits me down and checks both ears and says everything looks good. In goes the right monitor and damn it to hell the same friggin pressure and pain! Julie can't figure it out. In goes the left monitor and sure enough pressure and pain, but not as much as my initial fitting. We both are discouraged, but in comes Chris to the rescue. He looks at the molds and the monitors and says, do you have 20 minutes? I said go for it. He takes the 2XS next door. I am feeling stressed again that I wasted my friggin money, but I said it'll turn out for the better.

Chris walks in and shows me the mold and shows the 2XS which he has trimmed down. Apparently the wax had attached to the gel and caused the mold to be bigger and less smooth. Chris gingerly puts the right monitor in and...no pressure no pain! He puts the left monitor in and slight pressure, but no pain. I fire up the SR71 and h900 (HiMD) and Rachel Yamagata's sweet voice is right there and right now in its full glory and very loud. Visceral bass and details abound are my initial impressions. I usually listen with the volume at about 10 o'clock (with the MX500). I had to lower it to 9 o'clock. Just for good measure I take them out and put them back in myself. No problem, but I definitely need practice to get a good seal. Julie comes by and says she pulls her earlobe down while pushing the monitor in to get a good seal.

I was on the train ride home and have a great seal. No idle chatter, no meaningless cell phone conversations just glorious music. I still have to get used to how much the 2XS isolate. I normally hear and feel the train on the tracks. It was very strange to just to feel the train beneath me.

Anyway I've been typing away at this post for quite a while listening to the 2Xs/SR71/iPod. I still have a good seal and no pain! I have listened to (with a big grin):

Eva Cassidy
Massive Attack
Jeff Buckley
Patricia Barber
JS Bach Oboe Concerto

They all sound new to me because of the level of detail the SR71/2Xs reveal (good and not so good!)

Time to wrap this up folks. Appropriately, Jeff Buckley's rendition of Hallelujah is playing.

Well, this was a long and arduous experience. I know I'm a glutton for pain and pressure just to get the 2Xs into my ears and in my portable rig. Ultimately it was worth it because of the fantastic customer service I received at Sensaphonics. Julie, Michael, Claudia, and Chris were patient and very understanding with the situation my ears and I presented them. My experience was probably on the extreme end for them, but I never felt that I was imposing upon them. I'm sure there are many of you on the fence about Sensaphonics' products or expertise. I am a very satisfied customer and would highly recommend them. Oh yeah the 2Xs sound pretty good!

Thanks again for reading.

Regards - reynman

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #15 of 23
Thanks for the postive vibes.

I was planning on going to Rachel Yamagata's concert at the Metro in Chicago as a guilty pleasure because the initial fitting did go too well. Unfortunately, I did not go.

lindrone - thanks for all your help throughout.

Billy - Earwax no big deal! Sensaphonics will take care of you. They actually have their own ENTs. Give Julie a call. She recommended 3 in Chicago.

PATB - I'm listening to Rachel right now.

Regards - reynman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back