my Sennheiser RS 180 is great but what's the next level for portable streaming URL?
Feb 27, 2014 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Barbapapa

New Head-Fier
I found the wireless Sennheiser RS 180 to be quite a pleasant surprise. The signal strength is amazing and even a building full of metal and machine tools doesn't bother it. Good sound quality.

I do find them to be not as comfortable as my wired HD-25s and I want more power, the 180s always leave me wanting to go a little louder, and the volume adjustment sucks but gets left on max anyway with me walking by the PC to make adjustments.

How do I rig up a portable amp and player to power my HD-25s and walk around? I'm a newb and confused by the vast range of characteristics of portable amp configurations. I may be ignorant of basics that are widely known here.

I want to stream URLs and power my HD-25s to just shy of the pain threshold.
I have:  Desktop PC nearby and wireless router, iPhone 4
Any advice appreciated!

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 2
I suppose everyone's too busy with 90 page threads about the details of sound from amps that take their signal from a player's amp so I'll just answer my own thread :)

An iPhone4 with Fstream and i.fuzen HP-1 does exactly what I asked for above.
Fstream can play a url address from stations typically on shoutcast etc, it's the best app I've ever seen, very user friendly and it works. The HP-1 powers my over ear phones nicely and doesn't use the iphone's DAC so there's no half assedness going on there. 

I'm also going to get a Sony Z series too which will probably do all of this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back