My Sennheiser HD 212Pro Review (Versus Sony's $50 Closed Headphones)
Nov 25, 2002 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Today, before I shopped for groceries, I picked up a Sennheiser HD 212Pro at Guitar Center. The price is $49.99. And my hunch that they are a bit dark-sounding is correct. The bass is boosted, all right - but it's more of a boost in the low-bass to mid-bass frequencies, unlike the Sony MDR-V300 (which sells for the same price), which delivers severely overboosted mid-bass and upper-bass tones. The mids on the MDR-V300 are even more recessed than those of the HD 212Pro, to boot (put it another way, the HD 212Pro's mids aren't quite as recessed as those of the MDR-V300). And though both of these $50 closed headphones suffer somewhat from the tinny ringing noises that are common to cheap closed headphones, the highs on the MDR-V300 are downright nasty compared to those on the HD 212Pro.

Comparing to the Sony MDR-7502 ($49.99 at Sam Ash Music), the Sennheiser 212 is much more dynamic; the 7502 sounds flat and lifeless by comparison.

My verdict: The Sennheiser HD 212Pro is ideal for beginning DJs, so-called "bedroom DJs" and those people who listen to hard-driving music (e.g. hard rock, electronica/dance, rap), especially on relatively crappy equipment (but keep in mind that the HD 212Pro's sound will improve with the use of an amp). As for the Sony V300, it has practically no redeeming qualities (but hey, it's a "V-CRAP" headphone!
tongue.gif
): Sure, it folds up, but it doesn't stay folded up - and it's even flimsier than the Sennheiser 212. And fuggittabout the Sony 7502, unless all you're listening to are radio talk shows.

Oh, did I forget to mention that the Sennheiser 212 covers the entire ear for me, while the Sony V300 and 7502 don't come close to doing so?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Nov 25, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 9
Thanks for the review Eagle_Driver!

I just saw the thread that led up to this purchase, and I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, with the same criteria (winter use, closed, closed, closed, can not be open!). I'm using my HD25SP now (which is supraaural), and I'm still looking...will probably try out the new Sennheisers.

My Eggo's going the way of eBay - I wear a hat for the bad hair days, and the Eggos have trouble fitting over the hat. It doesn't always fit very well over my uncovered head either
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 9
Okay, so far I tried the 212 on my "broken" Panasonic SL-CT470 PCDP (well, it was "broken" only because the AAA batteries that I used on it turned out to be crappy) both with and without my Total Airhead amp, as well as my Panasonic SL-CT790 PCDP. I'd say that the bass-boost hump (peak) on my 212 is centered closer to 50Hz than 100Hz (most other "bassy" headphones have that hump at or slightly above 100Hz).

And the Senn 212 kicks the crap out of the dull and lifeless-sounding Sony V600 and even embarrasses the grainy-sounding Sony V700DJ for the $$$.
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 9
Ugh, will the REAL Eagle_Driver please stand up?

*singing, off key*
Hoooooooooooome, hoooooooooome on the raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange!

And a1leyez0nm3 calls some headphones 'crap' just because they deliver too much bass (if even a bit). You've got to hear the ENTIRE sound, not just certain parts of it. And some of the 'accurate' headphones that he prefers actually sound flat - in a BAD way - to my ears.

Nov 28, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 9
i'm with Eagle_Driver here.

i own the dt212pro for two months now and enjoy every second with it. it blows all eggos out of the water sans amp direct with a portable and they don't even cost as expensive as the d66. the bass is analytical. very punchy but never muddy. mids are clear. although the highs are not as good as the dt831 but then again, the beyers are 'bright' phones according to others here.

and they're the perfect pair if you nead ear muffs
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 9
Eagle_Driver, Tina and anyone who has heard both the HD212 and the MX500,

I realize this is an Apples and Oranges comparison, but could you compare the sound of the HD212 versus that of the MX500?

Thanks.

Nov 29, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 9
ts0003,

Don't expect good bass response from any pair of open earbuds, MX 500 included. Also, the MX 500 delivers recessed midrange and peaky treble compared to most full-sized headphones. But as an earbud, the MX 500 is a welcome change from the overwarm midrange and tinny treble of the cheap Sony earbuds.

As for the HD 212Pro, I'm not trying to compare it with the true "studio monitor" headphones, such as the AKG K240DF, Beyerdynamic DT250 series, Sennheiser HD 280Pro, and Sony MDR-V6/MDR-7506 - all of those soundly whoop the HD 212Pro in overall audio accuracy. I've compared the HD 212Pro to other consumer mass-market closed headphones priced in the $50 to $150 price range. The Sonys in that range (MDR-V300, MDR-V500DJ, MDR-V600 and even MDR-V700DJ) all range from mediocre to downright awful compared to the HD 212Pro (but hey, those particular Sonys are a big part of the MDR-VCRAPDJ series anyway!
tongue.gif
). And what about Koss? The ones in that range (R200 and Pro-4AA) both sound tinny in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back