My second 0HA-REP arrived
Nov 10, 2006 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Andrea

Banned - aka HeavySoul - aka inconnu - aka Albert - aka layman - aka joe_average - aka altglos - aka Mr boobi - aka mikesand - aka blindbuy - aka The Well - aka yummy-fi
And I'm happy as if it were the first time.
cool.gif

Especially after the bad luck that the previous package had met with at the Italian Customs. Alberto promptly sent a replacement amp and... here it is, safe in my hands. Well not exactly... I still have to open the package
tongue.gif

I'll post my impressions here as burn in ('cause this time I intend to let it burn in
smily_headphones1.gif
) has its course.

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 6
Er...what exactly are you expecting to burn in? :p

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 6
The electrolytic caps, they say... I'm no burn in sceptic, nor rational disbeliever.

And more importantly, others have said that this particular amp improves with burn in and I've no reason to doubt it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 6
Please don't understand more than what I said, just in case... I mean, I almost immediately modded my first, un-burnt-in 0HA-REP, due to a combination of impulsiveness, playfulness, and last but not least, restless seeking of a warmer, more passionate sound than what the amp in its standard configuration seemed to provide - which is where the lack of burn in might come into play.

I never said it didn't sound good from the start. I was just taken away by my quest for what makes something "really good" into something "really special".

Nov 11, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
The electrolytic caps, they say... I'm no burn in sceptic, nor rational disbeliever.

I see. I guess I'm both a sceptic and I think a rational disbeliever. The implications of it actually being true alone I think create a strong presumption against it, but I at least have never heard nor measured anything resembling it either, even with very sensitive equipment and very quiet rooms with extended listening tests >.>

Nov 11, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #6 of 6
Let's see if my ears will agree with you or with the supporters of amp- burn in, then!

Meanwhile, changing topic... For laziness, I'll just quote myself...
redface.gif

Quote:

You may know that lately I played with my Go-Vibe quite a bit. My PINT^fied Go-Vibe deluded me lately, when I rolled the AD8055 in, into thinking that I'd finally succeeded in making it sound natural and satisfying.

Extended listening diminished my enthusiasm and led me to the ineluctable truth -- no matter how hard you try to fix the sound, the Pint-like three channel topology, at least with the common AD8397/45048 and LM6172 chips in, will always produce a scheletric, dry, with an overly bony bass the AD chips, sound quality. Someone may very well like it; I think it doesn't do justice to my music, my headphones, and more than anything my ears.

So... now all my interest has flied back to my trusty (present & awaited) 2 channel amps - and lucky me, right now I've a new Xenos 0HA-REP arrived just yesterday to burn in & enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back