My search for a low-noise, hi-res DAC
Apr 18, 2007 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jbd

Head-Fier
The first high quality DAC I had was the Chaintech AV710's Wolfson DAC. I've been really happy with how low-noise/high-res it was, until I made a pot-less cmoy that really brought out the noise with low-impedence headphones. I thought the noise was being caused by the cmoy's lack of a pot and therefore high gain level, but then I tried using a 512mb iPod shuffle as a source and heard very low noise compared to the AV710. So little, that I don't think I'll be adding a pot to the cmoy.

Now I'm curious about other DACs. Should I modify the AV710? Build a Alien DAC? Buy a higher capacity iPod (my shuffle's only 512mb)? Any other low-budget options? Or should I just add a pot to the CMoy and stop being curious?

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 7
ermm, the shuffle had less volume too though, right? You could modify your av710, computers are usually a huge blob of interference, I wonder how it would sound if it was wrapped in ers paper.

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Or you can bite your nails and hang on for the TC-7510 MK-4. It has been mentioned on the wigwam forum that the noisy headphone stage has finally been changed. I don't have the best of hearing, but I should have a try of one this Friday when mine arrives.

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 7
I've read that noise with low-impedance headphones is a common problem with CMoys... That's when you're supposed to add the extra resistors (R5), and/or add another battery to the mix.

Apr 20, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 7
Right now I am listening to CE595>CMOY 2227 (Gain 6)>SR225. I hear no noise without R5 and I am using 1 9v. I say add a pot.

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably try adding pot before anything else.

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 7
You might want to check the proximity of your AV-710 to other PCI cards and power/data cables. I can turn my HeadFive up to 1-2 O'Clock before I get even the slightest hint of static, with normal listening volume @ 9 O'Clock. If that's not it, your interconnect may simply have bad shielding and it's picking up external noise. I'm also using ALSA in Linux but I have upgraded my AV-710's output coupling caps. That upgrade did nothing to my noise floor though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back