My Schiit Modi Has Been Possessed by an RF Ghoul
Aug 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #17 of 21
Kyran you are NOT alone... I was so ******* frustrated by this purchase.

I have the exact same problem, exchanged them and had the same problem on 5 different computers. These things are made with barely any barrier against noise from a PC. The technician claimed their $12,000 setup didn't have this problem so it must be my machine. Well guess what... I BOUGHT A $100 DAC! I'm on a budget and wouldn't use a $100 DAC with a $12,000 system if I had one!

They have to know that the kind of person who is going to buy this is using a basic computer setup yet they blame your computer for giving off too much noise. Well out of those 5 computers one was an Apple iMac. Is Schiit trying to tell me that a Modi isn't supposed to work with an iMac?

I ask any Modi owners using regular computers to listen to this file and not hear squelching at the beginning and end.
http://www.audiocheck.net/Audio/audiocheck.net_headphoneshaker.mp3

What I ended up having to do is buy one of these ADuM4160 USB Isolator boards. http://www.circuitsathome.com/measurements/usb-isolator/  - Info
I ordered mine from China (Teralink) on eBay for $25, which took a month to get and then it died and had to wait forever for it to be returned and replaced. I suggest you get one from Oleg at Circuits at Home:
http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/usb-interfaces/adum4160-usb-isolator-board-populated - $48
You can even build your own with one of his packages if you're capable.

You'll also need the correct power adapter and a USB A Male to USB B Male, shorter the better, adapter which can be tricky to find. I bought my USB adapter in a set like this: http://www.usbgeek.com/products/usb-adapter-set - i didn't actually buy it from these guys though.

It's not 100% gone, doesn't run at 24/96 most of the time, and sometime requires reconnecting but it works pretty good. Enough to not anger me every time I reach for it...

The only thing left that I haven't tried is to see if I have the same problem with higher impedance headphones.. not that it would matter much. I originally bought the Magni/Modi set and then got a couple of lower impedance headphones HD 598's and SR 60's because of great deals.

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #18 of 21
Guys,

I'm having a similar issue with my Modi (USB) connected to a (IMO, nice) powered USB hub, via a Pangea Audio USB cable. I get all sorts of nasty scratching/feedback/stuttering/ then loss of signal anytime i use go back/forth in Chrome with my mouse only. I've tried moving the proximity of the mouse/modi plugs on the powered hub to no avail. This is all, ultimately connected to a Macbook Pro (retina) 2012 model via USB3.

I'm hoping the Modi 2 will rectify this. I'm going to purchase one and see if it makes a difference and will report back.

Hope you've gotten your issues with this resolved by other (cheaper) means). Let us know!

Thanks,
-defsquad

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #19 of 21
You would likely need to use the Modi "Uber" (+$50) which basically includes the dedicated power supply I was describing before.. You have 2 USB ports on the Macbook correct? can you try running the mouse through the port directly connected to your Macbook?

Out of curiosity did you try listening to that sample I provided to see if you hear distortion? I'd be curious to know if you did. Crank it up a little (safely) and listen closely to the beginning and end of the sample.
http://www.audiocheck.net/Audio/audiocheck.net_headphoneshaker.mp3

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #20 of 21
  I definitely recommend trying the powered USB hub. I was having exactly the same problem with my own Modi (low-level noise only when audio plays, extra noise when moving the mouse or typing, etc.) and it cleared right up when I plugged it into a powered hub. Just be warned that you'll continue to get interference if you plug certain devices into the powered hub with the Modi (mice, keyboards, and external hard drives will all cause problems), at least from my testing.

Which powered hub did you go with if you do not mind me asking as I am having the same problems?

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #21 of 21
I dunno if you ever solved your issue but I had this same thing happen to me and it's called a ground loop issue. Especially if you can hear a "frequency" pitch when your moving your mouse around, opening windows etc.

Go buy one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters from radio shack, plop it on your amp's power cord and you won't hear the noise anymore.

Ground loop is by far, one of the most absolute stupid things to try and solve.

I replaced my modi, bought a new amp, bought different power cables/usb cables, tried different computers, tried different outlets, I fought this for a MONTH, then someone on here and Overclock.net said "it's ground loop, buy adapter problem solved". I did that, cost my a whopping 4 bucks for a 2 pack (because they don't sell them individually") and the issue was resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back