My Samsung YP-P2 mini review!
Oct 29, 2007 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Vulpix

100+ Head-Fier
ypp2.jpg

The player

ypp2-02.jpg

Size comparison with my Dopod 838Pro phone (HTC Hermes/TyTn for America)

Specifications

Well, it looks like I finally found the perfect MP3 player for me. I've been looking for a certain player for myself, but most of the time none of them fit my requires. My requirements?
  • Must be a flash player
  • 8GB and above
  • 3" screen minimum
  • Preferably widescreen resolution
  • Screen quality must be good
  • Must be reasonably sized
  • Must look good
No player fit my bill for quite a long time and believe me, I have been changing players like nobody's business. I have used the Cowon D2, iRiver Clix2, iPod Touch(I will cover this in a while), etc. There's always a compromise somewhere between the players.

After reading about the YP-P2 at Engadget, I waited patiently for the player to surface. When the player came to the local stores here eventually, I picked up one with a crystal case. It fits every bit of my requirement. It looks good, sounds good and with decent screen quality.

Interface

The player boots up without much delay, and has its own bootup music. Another nice touch is the *ping* sound that you get when you are changing between modes. This sound is only around when you are not playing any music or video.

Copying music in UMS was too easy. The only thing I did was drop and drop all my folders of music organised in folders, and after disconnecting the player, it parsed everything, and I could browse via album/artist without having to use any special software. And my folder structure was still intact!

The player is controlled by the touchscreen, aside from volume and the power button. The touchscreen is surprisingly sensitive when using my thumb, and I had no problems skipping to the next song using the motions recommended in the manual, like sliding left to skip songs, etc. This video will be able to explain what I'm saying better.

The music interface comes with some pretty visualizers, and customisable.

Sound Quality
I had a huge problem with the iPod Touch. The sound quality and the untweakable EQ. Mind you, I am not using the earbuds that come with it. I have tried using my Livewires T1 and Mylar XB, and I do not bother with bundled earphones ever. The sound of the iPod touch in any of the EQ mode was bland to me, and I did not enjoy using it for music. (This is just my opinion.)

The Samsung was fantastic. The player comes with a customisable 7 band equaliser with 15 steps on each bar, plus another 2 settings, one for enhancing the bass, and a gimmicky "3D" sound setting which I did not bother with. I could only store one EQ, but it's fine with me since the EQ somehow works with most of my music. Output is strong, and it overall sounds great with my earphones.

As for multiple formats supported, their new firmware added ogg support, so more choices for us. Let's be real, there is no point in putting lossless formats in a flash player. I'm very comfortable with 192kbps MP3s/OGGs.

Screen and Movie Quality
The screen is not as good as the AMOLED iRiver Clix2 unfortuantely, but it still looks great. The screen resolution is 480 x 272, perfect for widescreen shows. Almost every DVD and TV show out there is in widescreen format, so this is a good thing. My favourite part about the player? Their .svl format is actually a container for xvid, so videos actually look good when using Samsung's Media Studio for conversion. There was no skipping or lag in fast sequences from what I have tried out so far.

ypp2-03.jpg

This is the output result of the file after going through Samsung's software.

The player also supports WMV9 format which I have yet to try out.

Bluetooth Functionality
I tried pairing it with my SonicGear SR300 A2DP headset, and it works well. Sound quality was not fantastic, but decent. Do note that any EQ settings applied will not be activated in BT mode.

Firmware & Support

Samsung has always been pretty prompt at releasing firmware fixes, plus their players have always been pretty stable. Just recently a new firmware was released to fix some bugs and added ogg support. Unfortunately, they are not known to add features like Cowon, but things are changing. Below is a quote from Samsung Korea's main page, their future plan for the YP-P2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reported by YeppYepp.net
The 1st Wave will be released in Mid December 2007 and bring a technology called Hands-Free Profile which will enable you to make phone calls with your P2. How? Well, it uses its unique Bluetooth technology to connect to your mobile phone and make & receive calls this way - now you can leave your phone in your pocket. It will also bring something called Object Push Profile, which will allow you to exchange data or files with any Bluetooth enabled device, like a phone or laptop. In addition, the P2 will now support AAC music format, which will allow superior sound quality at low bitrates in small filesizes. Excellent!

The 2nd Wave will be released in Mid January 2008 upgrade the P2's GUI to EmoTure 1.5, which may include enhancements like smoother animations, bigger album arts, added glass effects...etc. You will also get 3 EmoTure based games fully utilizing the P2's touch screen, with more to come soon. FM Recording is also on the list, with DNSe 2.0 support while playing back your recorded files.

For the Korean market, there is also an Electronic Dictionary to be integrated (Korean <-> English & English <-> English), as well as a Seoul Metro Navigation System, with built-in maps and shortest route planning & calculation.

The 3rd Wave...well, according to Samsung, it will be 'Beyond your imagination' and will be out by Mid March 2008

Seems like there are many exciting changing for the player that are coming in the near future! As for fansites, there is only one major one, but the forums are kinda dead compared to the DAPReview/Anythingbutipod ones.

Final Thoughts

The player is nice, but it does come with its faults. I have no idea why Samsung had to use a proprietary connection instead of a mini/microUSB connection. It's one hell of a fingerprint magnet, and not everyone will like the touchscreen.

Despite the flaws, it's definitely one of the better players that is currently out in the market. I will definitely recommend this to anyone looking for an alternative to the Touch.

Oct 29, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 23
Thanks for taking time to do the review. I'm a little surprised about your thoughts about the interface. Every other reviews seems to dislike the interface, especially about the entire aspect of switching songs being counter intuitive.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dregur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for taking time to do the review. I'm a little surprised about your thoughts about the interface. Every other reviews seems to dislike the interface, especially about the entire aspect of switching songs being counter intuitive.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Well, how well an interface works depends on how we work it.
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review. 2 questions, is that a case over the body? And is the screen flush with the body or is it recessed?

1) Yes. I was a little lazy to take it off, sorry!
2) Flush. It's the case that makes it look recessed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you get that crystal case?

I bought it in the store that sold the player to me in Singapore.

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just can't justify the price, especially compared to other things of the same price range.

Is it not about the same price as a COWON D2 from Amazon?

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it not about the same price as a COWON D2 from Amazon?

it is, i agree. i'm thinking more along the lines of the Zune, iPod, ZEN, View, and Insignia Pilot.

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 23
Well what really attracts me is the gui and the fact that it has bluetooth and is touch screen. Which I never had a chance to experience with. The bluetooth can also be synced with my bluetooth phone which is very very cool. Bonus points.

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #13 of 23
Question: how's the LCD quality compared to the Cowon D2? D2 has amazing screen for its small size. Very watchable but the higher resolution and wide screen of the Samsung is interesting...

UL

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #14 of 23
Are you kidding, i played with this for about an hour the other day and it sucks, i had a ipod touch but sold it hoping to get this as a replacement, the UI sucks, why did they bother with the touch screen? Everything you do is exactly like pressing a button, scrolling through lists is crap, your finger gesture simply acts as a page up / page down , the speed it scrolls at never changes.
I was so disappointed!!!!
On the plus side it sounds better than the touch and the scrren is nice and it has a radio...shame the touch controls are so lame.
I hate to say it but the iphone/touch will be hard to beat for controls.

PS . i bought a Trekstor Vibez instead and FM card for it - i am very impressed with it, once you remove the volume limiter this baby sssiiiiinnnggggs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back