My RS-1 vs. RS-2 experience
Jan 22, 2009 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

wharfrat1

100+ Head-Fier
Back in December, I decided to upgrade my Grado experience from the 325i's. I always like to keep at least one Grado can in the family since they have a pretty unique sound sig, and they are really the only top notch full size can made in the US. Heck, call me a homer.

Let me state that my HD-650's are by far my favorite can that I own. I listen to them 90% of the time. My main change of pace can has been my DT-880's for a while. I liked the 325i's, but they were just too fatiguing with those uber detailed highs. So I decide to make the big jump and go straight to the RS-1's.

I get the RS-1's and right out of the box I like them, a lot. I say, wow, these may even challenge my 650's for some head time. They are punchy and fun. You get that nice front row Grado sound, but with a more detailed and puncy bass than I was expecting (especially in the mid and upper bass). I love the sound of snare drums on these. Throw in that up front midrange, and I was pretty happy. Really, they just are fun, engaging headphones. Would they replace my 650's at the top of the heap, no, but they would get a fair amount of headtime.

Than, that damn Sennheiser has to come out with the 800. Now, with my love for the 650's, I have to get a pair of 800's. So I'm still within the 30 day return period with HR, and sending back my RS-1's will almost cut the 800's price in half.

I try to be dipolomatic, and compare my RS-1's to my DT-880's. Whichever one I prefer will have to go. Now this is not a fair comparison, where the RS-1's add some color to the midrange, the Beyers are far more neutral, and with their design have a much better soundstage. Throw in their great comfort, and the DT-880's won out (plus by sending the 1's in the return period made me more money).

Right after I send my RS-1's back I come into a little money. Being that I sold my 325i's, I still needed the Grado hole in my lineup fixed. So I decide to give the RS-2's a try. I order the 2's and when I get them, I pull them out of the box and fire them up and...well, I can't help but compare them to the 1's in my mind and the 2's are rather boring.

Now, I have read just about every thread on both the 1's and 2's on Head-fi. I know that the 2's are more neutral than the 1's, no arguement there, but that added color in the ones just gives them more snap and fun. I'd read that the 2's are better for rock, which is what I predominantly listen to, and yes the 2's are more forward, especially in the treble, but this also makes them more harsh. The treble can get on the grainy side. The bass extends almost as deep as the 1's, but not quite as much. This is not a huge complaint as they are pretty close, but the 2's have nowhere near the bass detail the 1's have, especially in the upper and mid-bass. The midrange is not nearly as fun or creamy sounding as with the RS-1's For the people that recommend these for rock, in my opinion, just because it is brighter in the treble does not make it a better rock can.

I say to myself, what did I do? I've lost a lot of fun and excitement, and I need to get the RS-1's back. So that is just what I do, I reordered them from HR. Bonus: the HR price has dropped to $595. I just got them in today. No comparison. The fun, puncy sound is back. Throw in the slightly improved soundstage, and it is clear to me the RS-1's clearly surpass the RS-2's. I know some claim that these two headphones are extremely close in sound, but to these ears there is a big difference between the two. The RS-1's have much more refined highs, without any of the grain that the RS-2's have. Don't worry, still plenty of detail and that you are on stage Grado sound. The midrange, not even close. You get so much more detail and creamy, warm goodness with the 1's. The bass, again, the 1's provide much better detail and impact.

The 2's are nice cans, but in my mind, not really worth the upgrade over the 325i's. If you can get the extra dough, the RS-1's are well worth the money. Out of the Grados I have heard (SR-60's, SR-125's, SR-225's, SR-325i's, and the RS-2's), the RS-1's easily blow all of them away. So in my long winded, story, kind of way, what I'm saying is don't be cheap. Spend the extra money and get the RS-1's. You won't regret it!

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 27
Yeah, I have no idea why some people claim that the RS1 and RS2 are close; to me the RS2 is one of the worst value headphones in the hi-fi world. IMHO those who claim that the RS2 is close to the RS1 are trying to convince themselves that they would be wasting their money getting the RS1. If you want neutral phones there's no reason why you shouldn't be getting something like the K701 instead.

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 27
I like your impressions and from what I have read would agree.

How do you place the SR225? Better than the SR 325i/RS2? For some it is others not. Your take?

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 27
Thank you for this. Nice read.
Looks like we have similar ears regarding HD650 and RS-1. The senns get most of my head time too, but the grados has their place, absolutely.

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 27
I favored the RS-2 over the RS-1 only because the RS-1 had this HUUUGE (like, HUUUGE) mid-bass hump that just wrecked the music. I brought them to a local meet, and it seemed people liked it still, so either they weren't burned in properly, or what, but I wasn't being sensitive; that hump (bump, whatever) blanketed the entire spectrum.

Bollocks, I may have to put my wallet on the line in the future and try out a burned-in RS-1.
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like your impressions and from what I have read would agree.

How do you place the SR225? Better than the SR 325i/RS2? For some it is others not. Your take?

X3

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 27
Thanks for the opinions. I am going into NYC this weekend to audition the 2 and 1 at J&R. It should be fun.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 27
To answer some of the questions:

SR-225 vs. 325i and RS2:

I think the 225, for the money spent stands up really well here. The 2's are a little more refined across the entire audio spectrum, but not nearly enough to justify the extra $250 they cost. I ended up picking the 325i's over the 225 because they had a better bass response, and the highs are incredibly detailed. With that said, there were times that I missed the sound of the 225's. Now that I've had a chance to listen to a bunch of the Grado cans, if I didn't have the RS-1's, I'd stick with the 225's. They provide by far the best bang for the buck.

HD650 over RS-1 for Rock:

I agree that the RS-1's are incredible for rock, but there are a couple of reasons I prefer the HD 650's. First, bass, while the RS-1's really surprised me with how good their bass response was, it just didn't make my head shake. Whenever you go see a great rock band live, yes the guitars are king, but the drums and bass are the backbone of the music. The guitars grab all the attention, but you feel the rhythm section throughout your whole body. The 650's provide me with more of this than any other can I've tried, and they still have a really nice soundstage and tons of detail in the highs and mids. On top of that, they are really comfortable, especially compared to the Grado's. I've never really had an issue with the whole clamping thing.

Yes, my wallet is really sorry right now. Now, I have sold some gear to help pay for some of my purchases, and I will probably be selling my 880's soon. Once I make sure the fit is good on my UE-11's, I will be selling my SE530's as well. But the wallet is definitely down for a 8 count right now. I've made a promise to myself (yeah right
tongue.gif
) and my wife that after this run on cans I am done for a long while. If the 800 turns out as good as everyone says, I think I will have found my happy place. Now maybe I can sit back and just listen to some great music without the shakes setting in from upgraditis!
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 27
Thanks you made my day with the comments about the SR 225's. Seems I didn't go wrong buying them...helps to know.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 27
Great read! I've auditioned the RS-1s before and they really sounded great with rock! I would have to audition the 650s again as well to compare.

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #15 of 27
I compared the RS-1 to the RS-2 at the last meet on my system.
I think...
The 1 has more bass & highs, but also has an unnatural midrange peak that I found annoying.
The 2 has slightly less extension at both ends, but the mids are much more natural and easier to listen to.
I've had 3 pairs of RS-1's and never ended up keeping them. I've had the RS-2 longer than any other Grado I've owned.
So there ya go
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back