My RS-1 has just got a new life
Mar 29, 2003 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

daffa

Head-Fier
I have just upgraded my source from PCDP to Linn Ikemi. I listened to it through various headphone amps (EMP, X-Can V2) and various headphones (CD3K, RS1, W1000). The results :

1. I found the RS1 is the best and the most enjoyable headphone so far. The improvement is significant. After my CD3K arrived, I did not wear RS1 so much because of its "brightness". But now it has a very good bass, good separation, more relaxed upper range, and the most important thing, the comfortability is no longer the issue. I can wear it for hours now without even replacing the earpads.

2. The other two closed headphones (CD3K and W1000) is more confusing for me. It is hard to explain except I finally listen to the RS 1 more. I think it is because the nature of openness of RS1. I will do more A/B when my new HD600 comes.

3. For the amps, I found EMP is nothing better than X-Can V2. The sound difference cannot be justified by its price difference. Well, I still retain the stock tubes for the outputs and use replace CV 4024 for the input. I think the source is too good for both amps so the difference is not significant.

4. I was about to look for Melos or Ear+ to improve my RS1 listening, but finally I cancel the idea.

Mar 29, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 8
Looks like you found some system synergy between the Linn and the RS-1.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lynn (and most British Hi-Fi) does have a reputation of sounding a bit laid back.
It seems that this "sound" mates well with the forward sounding Grado giving an overall "balanced" sound.
(does this sound like what your hearing?)

The Ear+ might still be an option since they might make your other cans just as enjoyable as the RS-1 with the Lynn.
You won't really know until you try it out.

Mar 29, 2003 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes, that is the balanced sound that I hear. Really enjoyable. Before trying the EAR+ I will replace the IC first.
Now, I am still pondering why the W1000 doesn't produce the same sound, knowing its fast attack attitude.

Mar 30, 2003 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 8
I hook both of them with three cans (CD3K, RS1 and W1000). Still, the RS1 has beat the other cans down. Comparing both amps with RS1, there is not much difference. Wonder why. I suspect it is about my EMP tubes I guess. However, if I raise the volume, EMP produces more solid sound than the X-Can. The bass is deeper and more articulate. The problem is that I don't like to listen to high volume all the times.

After all, initially I did not expect that RS1 could provide such deep bass as provided by the Linn/EMP/RS1 combo.

Mar 30, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #6 of 8
That is interesting....I have been looking into the Linn and the RS1 myself. Glad to know it is a good combo.

Mar 30, 2003 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by daffa
I hook both of them with three cans (CD3K, RS1 and W1000). Still, the RS1 has beat the other cans down. Comparing both amps with RS1, there is not much difference. Wonder why. I suspect it is about my EMP tubes I guess. However, if I raise the volume, EMP produces more solid sound than the X-Can. The bass is deeper and more articulate. The problem is that I don't like to listen to high volume all the times.

After all, initially I did not expect that RS1 could provide such deep bass as provided by the Linn/EMP/RS1 combo.

glad you're happy with the RS1 combo, daffa
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, did you compare the CD3Ks with the X-can and the EMP? (ie. difference between the amps, with solely the CD3000s)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back